Postings by Ocean (1988-2001)

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > Huskies, Seizures and Phenobarb
Ocean- (1988-2001)

I smell- chocolate!

Barked: Wed Jul 8, '09 6:00pm PST 
That's tough, Tanuk! I'm a single woman, and as I said, after struggling with end-of-life care for two big dogs, when I went looking for my current dog one requirement was that I be able to carry it up the stairs fairly easily.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Dante, Jul 9 10:08 am

Ocean- (1988-2001)

I smell- chocolate!

Barked: Wed Jul 8, '09 4:40pm PST 
I felt the same way about putting Ocean on pheno -- she had a couple of seizures and I took a "wait and see" attitude, and then early one morning she went in and out of seizures for an hour! I freaked and my vet actually got up and met me at the office (I live around the corner) at 6 a.m. (of course by then she'd finally stopped).

Maybe I'm mis-remembering the dose -- maybe it was 30 twice a day. Because Ocean was 65-70 pounds (she basically had a GSD body with husky markings and eyes and a 100 percent husky personality).

Anyway, think positive -- you and Cooper will be fine. But now that I've reassured you, you should probably develop some kind of emergency plan for getting Cooper to the vet if he does have seizures he doesn't come out of -- I had to do that with Ocean once (only once in ten years -- she needed two shots of valium to stop the seizures), and let me tell you that getting a 70-pound dog having a seizure (not only can she not walk, but she's stiff and/or thrashing) out of the house, down a flight of stairs and into the car for a trip to the emergency clinic (why is it that dogs never have medical emergencies during regular office hours?) was a real struggle. Which is why when I was looking for my most recent dog, I imposed a weight-limit of 40 pounds.

PS: Tanuk, my vet said that all "sled-dog" breeds had a higher than average incidence of epilepsy -- I believe that's true of Samoyeds as well as Mals and Sibes.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Dante, Jul 9 10:08 am

Ocean- (1988-2001)

I smell- chocolate!

Barked: Wed Jul 8, '09 3:56pm PST 
Success story: Ocean (husky mix) had epilepsy and was on phenobarbital for about ten years. She lived to a ripe old age (13); eventually I had to have her put to sleep because of conditions unrelated to either the epilepsy or the phenobarbital. IIRC sixty milligrams is a fairly high dose -- you might want to see if you can control the seizures with a lower dose with fewer side effects. I think we started at 30 and increased it over the years to 45 and then 60. Or ask if you can do it in reverse: reduce the dosage after the seizures are under control.

The seizures are scary but they aren't really harmful unless they are intense and prolonged. I think they freaked me more than her, although she would feel them coming on and if I wasn't with her she would try to come and find me. Once, one of the other dogs in our household even came and got me when Ocean had a seizure outside.

She did still have occasional seizures on the phenobarbital, but the incidence of seizures decreased *dramatically* (from every couple of months to once a year or so) when we got her flea allergy under control (Advantage had just come on the market), so you might want to see if there is an environmental trigger to your dog's seizures that you can eliminate.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Dante, Jul 9 10:08 am

Behavior & Training > Separating Dogs at home

Ocean- (1988-2001)

I smell- chocolate!

Barked: Sat Jan 31, '09 9:16am PST 
Yikes! A rotation system is not practical in a situation where you live alone and are gone long hours. It's just not. You will either have no social life or one or both dogs will end up spending a lot of time locked up alone. You'll end up basically being as locked up in the rotation as the dogs!

I can't stress strongly enough that you need to have a behaviorist come in and evaluate the situation immediately. This is not something I would leave to advice from people who haven't seen your dogs interact firsthand. The longer it goes without being resolved, the harder it will be to resolve. It may be expensive, but what you save in future emotional and financial costs will be well worth it.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by The Urban Hounds (Formerly the, Jan 31 5:52 pm

Ocean- (1988-2001)

I smell- chocolate!

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 4:04pm PST 
I had a large, covered run in the back yard. One of them did sleep with me, but I still felt that he got short-changed on my awake-time attention, which was just one more thing to feel stressed about. Even if you have a rotation system that works, that means someone has to be there to rotate the dogs, and again, if they aren't there at the exact right time, someone gets the short end. If you go away even for overnight, you have to have someone come in and rotate them or board them seperately. Honestly, if I had to do it over, I would rehome one of the dogs -- it's just much fairer to everyone not to have to live in an atmosphere of fear (theirs) and anxiety (mine).
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by The Urban Hounds (Formerly the, Jan 31 5:52 pm

Ocean- (1988-2001)

I smell- chocolate!

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 3:39pm PST 
This brings back so many sad memories -- Ocean and Pilot were inseperable until the same kind of situation developed: an external trigger started a fight, and from there they started to fight more often (with Ocean being the aggressor). I ended up keeping them separated with a rotation system for almost ten years, and it was a nightmare. No one is perfect, and every year or two a door or a gate would get left open (or be opened by someone who didn't know better), with disasterous results.

The problem is that once they've hurt each other, they don't trust each other anymore, and thus the slightest thing can trigger a fight; the more they fight, the less they trust each other. I'd say that you need immediate professional intervention before the situation gets to the point where they'll never be able to trust each other. If you can't do that, I cannot recommend a rotation system. It's incredibly stressful, and accidents will happen over time.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by The Urban Hounds (Formerly the, Jan 31 5:52 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > For those of you who ever had to put down a dog...question

Ocean- (1988-2001)

I smell- chocolate!

Barked: Mon Nov 10, '08 10:15am PST 
I'm with Angel and Riley -- I think it's easier and more selfish to put off making the decision too long. I mean, don't we all hope in the back of our minds that if we put it off long enough nature will take its course and we won't be burdened with the decision?

Someone once told me that animals don't fear death -- they can't comprehend a concept as abstract as their own death. But they do fear pain -- pain is all too real. We shouldn't let our babies suffer because it's too hard for us to make a decision.
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by ♥ Penny/Sassy, May 18 8:37 am

Puppy Place > My Puppy won't go potty if it's raining (hard) is this normal?

Ocean- (1988-2001)

I smell- chocolate!

Barked: Fri Aug 29, '08 1:08pm PST 
Kelpie and Pilot love the rain, no problem. But Ocean, true to her husky nature, hated water in all forms. Plus, we live in California where it doesn't rain for months at a time, and she was born during a drought, so the first time it rained when I had her she acted like she'd never seen rain before. She sat on the back porch and refused to go out to the yard. Fortunately, we had a covered dog run with a dog house. I explained to her that unless she went potty she couldn't spend the night in the house and took her out to her pen. Next night it was still raining, but after a night in the pen, when I gave her a choice between going potty in the rain or going into her pen, she gave me a dirty look and went out in the rain. BOL!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Kaiser - My sweet boy is gone, Aug 30 9:53 am

Dog Health > Epilepsy med. question....

Ocean- (1988-2001)

I smell- chocolate!

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 4:18pm PST 
In my experience, there's definitely a link between flea activity and seizures -- that was the first thing I thought of when you said that it was worse in the summer. What kind of flea control are you using?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lola CGC, TD, Aug 24 10:19 am

Siberian Husky > Ha Ha Trickery
Ocean- (1988-2001)

I smell- chocolate!

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 11:03am PST 
BOL! Who says dogs can't count? As for the digging, if you can train her to potty in one spot, maybe you can train her to dig in one spot: make a digging box for her, maybe bury a few things in it for her to find until she gets the idea. Of course, I ended up with a hole in the back yard that even had it's own name (China, as in "the dogs are digging a hole to China"). As in "Have you seen my new shoes?" "Have you looked in China?" big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nika, Jun 25 5:59 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.