Postings by Tucker

GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Dog Health > Osteo sarcoma (bone cancer)
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 6:41pm PST 
Shes 13!! Let her live and be happy. When she is no longer happy or in pain (be careful! Dogs can be sooo stoic!) Its time. Until then lots of food treats and fun! I would never put an old dog through anything harmful (amputate, chemo) just pain meds and food! I don't even know if I would treat a younger dog for something like that either
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Jan 10 4:52 pm

Dog Health > Wat's the weirdest thing that has happened to your dog?
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 5:05pm PST 
Well I have many.
Rascal had a toilet paper obsession- he overdosed. Rushed him to vet when he refused food- just upset tummy from the overdose of paper.
Tucker- well where do we start. Until I realized fabric toys and socks and underwear were all apparently edible, he ate many. We finally trained all the members in the house to clean up after themselves that problem solved.
He broke into a bag a tights. Ate those, puked them up.
Ate a entire rope toy after getting the two knots undone. Puked that up.
And this week alone he managed to sneak some chicken bones, got very sick for 24 hours. The next day managed to step on a two inch thorn that went all the way into his foot. And today he hit heads so hard with the other dog he screamed like a puppy and then played again like nothing happened. Tucker has a black cloud over him this week!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Willie, Dec 21 9:57 pm

Behavior & Training > Any advice? Conditioning for vet visits?

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 6:42am PST 
Geez if its that bad have you ever thought of finding a vet that would come to your house? If you must sedate I wouldn't use acepromazine. Its a poor sedative for nervous or aggressive dogs. Alprazolam or valium could be a better choice. Make sure you also tire the crap out of her if you know you have an exam coming up. It helps to have less energy to fight too. I would definitely continue with the pop in visits, make sure everyone doesn't touch her but gives or throws her treats and then you leave.
My younger dog sees a eye dr, its hilarious when he goes to these places he looks for treats, he will nudge the drs over to the treat jar! I guess we did a good job conditioning him to like the vets!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Dec 14 8:12 pm

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 3:37pm PST 
Well I guess being on the floor or table could go either way. Problem is, if she is still on the table because she is terrified that may make her overall visit bad. But if work is easier and less reactive on the table it may not be a bad idea.
One of my dogs absolutely panics on the x ray table, and just the other day my dr. wanted him eye level so I tried to raise the table and he said no way! Although Im sure I could fix that I see no point.
Muzzles are for safety, I see no problem using one, and sometimes it calms dogs down because now what can I do, I can't bite I better just behave.
I would continue to do what she hates the most at home. Lift her tail 8 times a day if you have to, if you have a pen light you could practice shinning it into her eyes and her holding still. Lots and lots of treats too.
Also if one of the drs or techs are better with your dog request them! I do many nail trims that request me, or there are other techs that get requested. It does seem to help if the dog remembers the people, they seem less stressed overall.
I did some training with one of the clients and her rottweiler, now every time he has me as a tech and we still muzzle him but last time he just fell down and let me do what we needed to do.
My older dog threw a fit, growled and fought for the first couple years of his life at vets. Now luckily I have been at the same clinic for 4 yrs. We have done eye tests to him, we have taken blood, vaccines he is nearly perfect.
Make sure you know how to restrain her yourself. That makes a world of difference. Sometimes I find the best restrainers are ones that the animal cannot get away from. All dogs put up a fight at some point, if you let them struggle away they will try harder next time. Usually when I have to deal with a difficult dog I stand my ground with them, if whatever we were doing needed the dog laying down, well its gonna stay there still I say get up. I don't let them slip away from me and then try to redo the restraint. If you are close with the staff see if a good tech can tech you some restraint and you can practice at home as a game.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Dec 14 8:12 pm

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 10:26am PST 
I am a tech and I feel like some dogs belong on the floor, and have had arguments about this with my dr. First off if they want to be wiggly there is no way I can help them stay on the table and sit still ( i weigh 130 lbs myself and am NOT strong!)
I have had owners lift lips and open mouths for me, because usually if I can't you can.
If you think standing on the ground would be less stressful try teaching her to stand on command. Most dogs buckle up when their abdomen or tail is touched. You can do that type of exam on her at home just feel up and down her belly, lift her tail stroke her back legs. That may help her get used to the idea.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Dec 14 8:12 pm

Dog Health > GIARDIA
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 10:07am PST 
We had a bout of normal formed poos with blood and mucus at the end for about a month. We did two fecals, the food was the same and no vomiting. Went to a s p e c i a l i st for another opinion (which he was no help. Finally the Dr and I decided that we were going to try panacur 2 treatments for 7 days 3 weeks apart. Its not been over 1 month and no more blood or mucus. I also have him on vetri science probiotic capsules ( I may keep him on them for life). He seems well. In my case its more then likely he could have picked up giardia. Right before it started we were at vet, then a petstore, then a field where he grabbed something tasty from the ground. Then 2 days later bam blood in his poo. Never diarrhea though, which made it more confusing.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tucker, Dec 2 10:07 am

Dog Health > Health Concerns.

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 5:06pm PST 
Stupid question. The dog is not licking at the feet is he?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Nov 12 5:16 pm

Dog Health > Half of my belly is red and ichy

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 4:59pm PST 
any thought of fleas? Tis the season
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bunny, Nov 8 6:08 pm

Dog Health > Not thrilled with the board cert internal med dr insights?

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Mon Oct 28, '13 2:20pm PST 
Well we went today for on/off blood and mucus in formed stool. Tucker is acting normal in every other way. The most frequent we have had is every 4 days.
Anyways. See the Dr. He never examined Tucker? Just pet him. No rectal no abominal feeling nothing.
He recommended a colonoscopy at the tune of around 2000 dollars. Granted I will spend the money to figure this out.
Spoke to my vet afterwards. She thought that it was pretty invasive plus expensive. Suggestions were from the normal vet to try panacur and then food. I asked if we should try panacur first to see if that helps if not then food. He is currently eating TOTW poultry. He has eaten that and the salmon with no problems in the past. We recently started roatating through the two flavors, gradual switch of course. I did the switch once a few months ago with no problems. Before he ate only the salmon for over a year.
In the meantime I think I am going to look for a colonoscopy elsewhere for a better dr and a lower price, possibly a dr my current vet is familiar with. Anything anyone?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tucker, Oct 28 2:20 pm

Dog Health > Seeing internal med Dr today
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Mon Oct 28, '13 9:43am PST 
Well Mr. Tuck has had blood in mucus on/off for about 6 weeks in formed normal stool.
No vomiting diarrhea or loss of appetite. We have run 2 fecals, x rays and bloodwork. Nothing came from any of them. I am a tech so its been easy to do the initial testing!
Well with no rhyme or reason he keeps having bouts of this mucus/blood.
We made sure the only thing he is eating is dog food and still had an episode.
He was on probiotic and we did a week of metronidazole too.
I did change his food flavors of TOTW twice since July, we went back and forth gradually and had to switch back to see if the other dog was having allergy issues. We always fed the salmon TOTW i thought I would do a variety and gave the Poultry one. Which on either food intially he did not have any issues.
The only thing that changed otherwise is he on tacrolimus in one eye once a day. About a month later we had the bad poos. I orginally thought it was due to a petstore visit with lots of treats and then eating something rotten at the park one day, since it started a few days later. But now 6 weeks later it is still happening! Hopefully we gave good news or a solution. Any input?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tucker, Oct 28 9:43 am

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.