Postings by Fred

GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Food & Nutrition > Who has a dog that weighs 12-15 pounds?
Fred

Seriously, just- leave me alone.

Barked: Sun Jan 2, '11 5:09pm PST 
so if there's 120 cups of kibble in each bag.. then in theory the 30lb bag of TOTW would last Fred for 240 daily portions (eats 1/2 cup a day). That just doesn't seem right... I suppose it must be, but holy cow- that means that $47 is feeding Fred for two thirds of the year? Of course, I'm not figuring in treats and toppers, but still.

Wow. Is my math right?
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Jan 4 6:08 pm

Food & Nutrition > Who has a dog that weighs 12-15 pounds?
Fred

Barked: Sun Jan 2, '11 4:26pm PST 
Hi wave

I'm not sure I'm the best person since I don't really separate their food costs out (I have 3 Boxers in addition to Fred), but I'm going to take a stab at it anyways.

Fred is an 11year old Shih Tzu, and weighs about 13lbs. He currently eats about 1/2 cup of TOTW Bison a day. Fred by himself is probably only about $20-$25 a month, honestly.

edited to add: I honestly have no idea how many pounds that is in food... I buy a 30lb bag every 12-14 days for Sam, Xena, and Fred (Max eats Acana). I purchase my food at a local "Barkery" called "Barking Dogs" and the 30lb bag of TOTW is $47.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Jan 4 6:08 pm

Dog Health > Peeing problems

Fred

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 1:39am PST 
I agree that I'd repeat the urinalysis and I prefer a culture. The culture takes longer, but it's more accurate and it'll tell you specifically what bacteria you're dealing with and what antibiotics will be most effective. It's definitely more expensive, though. I paid (I think) $120 for Fred's culture alone. You might start with a second urinalysis and if nothing shows up then do a culture(Fred's urinalysis tests were clean, but the culture showed a rare strain of bacteria- Fred was only the 2nd dog ever recorded to have it). I don't really see that as behavioral, unless something is happening that's perhaps causing stress? I think it's worth following up on.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Fred, Dec 15 1:39 am

Small Dogs > Give it your best guess...

Fred

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 4:07pm PST 
I agree that there's some Corgi in there. Her body shape, plus the herding instincts fit. I don't know Papillon's as well, so I'll bow to the greater experience of the previous posters. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Dublin Rose O'Belle, Dec 6 9:41 am

Small Dogs > Small dogs playing with big dogs

Fred

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 4:03pm PST 
I can see both sides of this issue. With Fred(Fred's about 12lbs, and stocky so he's not fragile, I always took him into the large dog section after okaying it with any owners there, because he is content to just wander and pee and visit and is better with larger dogs then smaller ones. I never had a problem with Fred getting into a fight or being harrassed in the large dog section- of course though, if an owner told me their dog wasn't good with small dogs I wouldn't take Fred in.

From the large dog side: My Boxers are goofy lugs when it comes to playing at the park but since they've been raised with small dogs, they're fine with them. It's actually a huge pet peeve of mine when people come in with a tiny dog immediately put it down, then expect the other dogs to not greet it as they would any other dog. Further, a dog yelping doesn't always mean it's in pain- it's also a startle response or a verbal signal to the other dogs that he doesn't like what they're doing. If you come into a park that is clearly labeled for dogs "50lbs and over" you should at least clarify whether the dogs in that park are okay with small dogs before you come in. Last week I went to a dog park for the first time in a while. While I was there, a chihuaha (spelling, sorry) got bitten by a large dog (husky or similar mix). The Chi was running, and the other dog essentially "caught" it. Is this okay, no. Was the owner of the husky horrified, of course. Now, IMO, the Chi owner is responsible. The park is clearly labeled for dogs 50lbs and over, and the other dog was in there first. The Chi owner never asked anyone if it was okay if she came in with her very small dog. I know my dogs can be a bit rough, so I kept mine away from her, but especially when it comes to breeds with strong prey drive common sense needs to come into play. The Chi was bleeding, but wasn't seriously hurt. The Chi owner was very angry at the other owner and animal control and the police were called. She kept saying "how can you bring an aggressive dog to the park." The husky was NOT aggressive. The bite was superficial! I know it's your baby, but why bring it into a park with literally 10 dogs running around that all out weigh your dog by at least 45lbs! The police and animal control did their reports, but the Husky owner had her license and rabies tags, and so after a few of us witnesses wrote statements that it was not an attack, the dog was not taken by animal control, though of course they did tell both parties to take their dogs home.

Okay, sorry that's long, but it's a true story and it seems to fit here and is a perfect example.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Aug 28 11:13 am

Dog Health > Legally not giving your dog a rabies vaccine.
Fred

Barked: Sun Nov 28, '10 3:32pm PST 
Fred bit my friend's daughter when she leaned on him and simultaneously leaned down to give him a kiss. It obviously hurt him and frightened him and reacted to it by lashing out. He bit her upper lip and she had to get 4 stitches. It was one bite, and was over with very quickly. Is Fred aggressive? No. Would he bite under normal circumstances? No. Did he bite when in pain and afraid from a 10 year old? Yes. They were not unattended, but honestly it happened so quickly there was nothing her mom nor I could do. Fred was 9 at the time. He had his last rabies shot at 7, I follow a 3 year limited protocol. After that bite, I will continue doing the rabies vaccine until it is unsafe. Because Fred had the vaccine, and appeared to be in good health (he was), he was able to undergo a 14 day home quarrantine. I had a lovely yellow sign in my front yard informing the neighborhood that one of my animals was under quarrantine but at least he wasn't taken to the shelter for quarrantine. It's my understanding that even with a medical waiver, your dog will not be able to be quarrantined at home if something happens. Your dog will have to go to either a vet's office or your local animal control for the duration of his quarrantine, which as another poster stated can be up to 6 months, and in some jurisdictions, there is no quarrantine but immediate euthanization. It's not just about being legal, but it's about protecting your dog from the "what ifs."

It is important to know the laws in your area. Call and ask animal control what happens if you have a medical waiver but your dog bites someone. That information would strongly impact any decision I made about whether or not to vaccinate for rabies. Max did get a 2nd booster for Parvo/Distemper, but after this one he will not receive another. After 4, I only vaccinate for Rabies, and I use a boarding facility that accepts a health certificate in lieu of a bordatella vaccine.

edited to change the posting dog. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 61 posts. Last posting by Finn, Nov 29 10:45 pm

Food & Nutrition > Wellness Core

Fred

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 3:52pm PST 
I'm not feeding it now, but I have in the past with my small dog, Fred. He did exceptionally well on it and I would certainly recommend it. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Bama AKA "Buddybear', Nov 18 5:05 am

Food & Nutrition > Little dog, high protein?

Fred

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 2:32pm PST 
My mom's little yorkie mix eats TOTW High Prairie. While it's not as high protein as EVO, he does just fine on it. Some individual dogs don't do well on high protein, but I don't think it matters so much on size. Usually it's the giant's who have the most problems because a lot of the high protein foods have too much calcium and phosporous which can cause them to grow too rapidly in their youth. My 12lb Shih Tzu Fred also eats TOTW just fine, and he's been on Wellness Core, and EVO as well with no adverse effects.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Milton, Oct 21 6:40 pm

Dog Health > Crystals in Dog urine...dog urinating constantly.

Fred

Barked: Fri Oct 8, '10 1:59pm PST 
I'll admit I've never heard of a doctor not being able to find the penis, the testes yes, but thinking.. Also, if he has an infection or something else going on up there, it probably hurt quite a bit to have someone probing around in his nether regions. I'd bite someone, too.

Fluid is essential here. Does he drink a lot through the day? What about switching solely to a canned diet for him for now? When Fred was having his bladder issues, I had 2 different ves tell me it was behavioral. Sometimes 2nd and 3rd opinions are neccessary. Turned out Fred had an extremely rare bacteria that wasn't showing up on the other tests but finally showed up in a culture and proved to be the source of his problems.

There is hope. Just get another opinion, or if you're other wise satisfied with the vet, you may have to shell out for the ultra sound. I'd ask what the possible treatments are before you pay for that test, and also specifically what they'll be looking for. Also, some other vets might be cheaper for the ultrasound.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 3:39 pm

Food & Nutrition > Can good food now make up for a lack earlier in life?
Fred

Barked: Mon Oct 4, '10 1:16pm PST 
I had my oldest dog Fred (Shih Tzu) from the time he was about a year old. I didn't know better, and fed him things from Ol'Roy Moist and Meaty (I know, but I was young and didn't know better) eventually switching to Iams and later to Nutro. He was always a really picky eater and always had problems with throwing up and skin infections. It was only after we got Max and having done my research on Boxers found that they often have sensitive stomaches and through the Boxerworld forums got my first lessons on doggy nutrition. Fred was 7 when we switched to a healthy food- Blue Buffalo was the first, then to Canidae, and since onto TOTW. He hasn't had skin infections since we switched to the different food and he almost never throws up anymore. His coat condition is better, his eyes have less runny discharge, and his immune system is unquestionably better. Do I wish I'd fed him good food for his whole life? Of course, but better late than never.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Lily, Oct 9 7:45 am

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.