GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Dog Laws & Legislation > How to handle dog attack and witnessing dog being beaten?
Molly

Food? Where?

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 2:32pm PST 
Thank you for your advice! It was helpful that you mentioned things possibly getting worse for the other dog. When I looked at local trainers I was pretty dismayed that almost all of them focused purely on the dog's behavior (even taking them away to work on them alone) instead of working on the owner's bond with the dog, so no, that's not going to work.

I'll have to call the township on Monday to figure out how they handle situations like this. And thanks for the tip about proof of her injuries!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 7 10:35 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > How to handle dog attack and witnessing dog being beaten?
Molly

Food? Where?

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 10:48am PST 
This is a sad situation all around. We were on a walk and happened to pass a house where I saw people but not the dog, and the dog ran at us growling. I got caught between the much bigger dog and Molly, and she slipped out of her collar because it was the only way to avoid being bitten. I watched in horror as the other dog chased her down the street and into an intersection, where a car came around a corner and almost hit Molly. I really thought she was going to die...my heart sank. Which would have been worse, to have her on a leash and mangled or hit by a car, I don't know. And then they got into someone's bushes and the other dog went at her. Fortunately Molly only ended up with some cuts on her feet and she'll be fine.

But when the other dog's owner caught up to them, she started beating her dog! Like full on hitting him on his side the way you'd spank a child. I was so mortified that I didn't know what to do. Yes, her dog shouldn't have done that and he has an aggression problem that needs to be dealt with but she needs to get in control of the situation, not abuse him!

So I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the owners and their dog because I don't want to avoid walking in front of their house forever but they're out a lot so something has to change. I don't want to be afraid of their dog and I really don't want the poor thing to live that way. Is this something for the SPCA to handle? Or do you think sending them the vet bill and a list of trainers communicates things enough?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 7 10:35 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Neighbor putting tiny dogs out in freezing weather

Molly

Food? Where?

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 8:13am PST 
I moved to a community a few months ago where almost everyone has a dog, but we all keep our dogs inside. Eventually I noticed almost constant barking two houses down from me and I realized that the owners were keeping their Chihuahua and teacup Yorkie in the backyard during the day, even as the weather turned rainy and cold.

At some point I ended up calling the township when I saw the dogs out there in the freezing rain, and supposedly the owners were sent a letter detailing ordinances about barking.

It stopped for a while, then over the holidays when it got REALLY cold they decided it was time to put the dogs out again. And according to my husband the owners were home! He saw the guy open the door and yell at the dogs to stop. Today we have wind chills in the single digits and I just could not bear to see them out there anymore so I gave the township another call and explained what was going on with the dogs. I emphasized that it was my concern for the dogs and that the owner was knowingly doing this.

Is this just a normal thing in the suburbs that I'm just not aware of? I understand that bigger dogs can be okay in the outdoors, but I don't get choosing the worst weather to make such small dogs live outside.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 10:55 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > Air purifiers

Molly

Food? Where?

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 9:25am PST 
I have 2 Electrolux EL500AZ units in my home and love them! Granted, I've never tried any others. But I moved to an older building several months ago after always living in new or newly renovated homes and started suffering immediately so I had to try something and this saved me. I don't know how much it helps with dog hair since Molly doesn't shed so much anymore and I vacuum a lot, but I can say this has kept me from having to take the daily asthma meds I've been prescribed. Hope you guys get some relief soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 1 9:25 am

Behavior & Training > Unusually aggressive dogs and owners in my building

Molly

Food? Where?

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 7:39am PST 
You're right, poorly socialized is a better description. These dogs know the rules (and when there are none)! We don't have any issues when the dog walker is around.

I find the owners to be pretty unapproachable in general, so I wonder if it might be worth speaking to the dog walker.

Since this tends to happen while we're walking through the lobby or waiting for an elevator, do you think it would be appropriate for us to turn around and walk away so that Molly doesn't have to sit there with a dog barking two inches from her face? When they lunge at her, the owners don't even make an attempt to restrain them and I'm not even sure they would get off their cell phone if their dog bit her.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 16 2:37 pm

Behavior & Training > Unusually aggressive dogs and owners in my building
Molly

Food? Where?

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 10:20am PST 
We moved into a new condo building a few months ago, and the pet community seems a little different from others we've encountered in our area. The dogs are mostly small and seem poorly socialized, even for the city. Almost 100% of them are allowed by their owners to get right up in Molly's face and bark at her loudly, and some lunge at her pretty violently. I've never seen a single owner do any correction or even act like they care. I'm surprised because I'd never tolerate this in my dog. Molly tries to act like she doesn't care, otherwise there would be some nasty fights.

The building manager once witnessed one of these episodes - thank goodness the dogs were separated by a glass wall. The other dog looked and sounded ready to eat Molly for lunch while she just trotted on by.

I've noticed that they are all alone during the day and walked by the same person...and I use the word "walk" very loosely. There is a lawn in front of the building so she carries them out and carries them in.

How do I protect Molly during these incidents and make it clear that I won't tolerate my neighbors' carelessness? The dogs don't behave like this with the dog walker so I know it has to do with their owners.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 16 2:37 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Halloween costume ideas?

Molly

Food? Where?

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 4:14pm PST 
Oh, that gives me an idea! She reminds me of every children's book dog I ever wanted when I was a kid, so I bet I could give her a nametag.

By the way Zack, I love your "industrial strength velcro" motto!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 23 4:14 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Halloween costume ideas?

Molly

Food? Where?

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 6:44am PST 
I'm getting a late start on this, but would like to get Molly dressed up for Halloween! Of course, she would like to just blend into the blanket and be a bed. My backup plan is to cut up a sheet and make her a very un-scary ghost. Any other ideas? She didn't do too well with reindeer antlers last Christmas, but she's a little older now so I think she has a better tolerance for clothing.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 23 4:14 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Current Law Allows Commercial Breeders to Shoot Dogs

Molly

Food? Where?

Barked: Sat Aug 16, '08 1:07pm PST 
We took Molly to the local dog park and saw the governor there. It looked like a pre-arranged visit because the media was there along with an adoptable shelter dog. I didn't hear what exactly the angle was, but wouldn't be surprised if they mentioned him pushing tougher regulations on puppy mills, as he has come out against the mills before.

His golden retriever played with Molly for a minute or two...mostly Molly was afraid of him. We talked briefly with Gov. Rendell about her before he left. It is kind of encouraging in the midst of this to see him out there with his dog; I hope he'll continue to pursue the issue!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 9:34 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Think my baby is from a puppy mill
Molly

Food? Where?

Barked: Fri Aug 15, '08 2:04pm PST 
Yes, without a doubt it is possible to rescue a "designer" dog! Some of my neighbors in my building have mixed breeds from shelters and they are cockapoos, maltipoos, etc. The tip I've heard is that since the little ones are so popular in the city, one should be at our local shelter as soon as they open and just keep showing up for a few days. Eventually the breed you want will be there...especially with our proximity to the puppy mills.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 6:41 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.