Postings by Ace

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Dog Health > Confused about colitis
Ace

Mommy's cuddle- muffin

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '09 4:10pm PST 
I awoke this morning to a poopy bloody mess in the exercise pen and immediately freaked out. I took Ace and a stool sample to the vet (a bit of a challenge, since the consistency was something like a raw egg). The vet examined him and his sample, and the diagnosis was that something is irritating his colon which is causing some bacterial growth and colitis.

My question is, since the word 'colitis' was mentioned, is that just a temporary thing? I don't know really anything about colitis, and thought it was like an ongoing disease.

The vet put him on five days of antibiotics and said his poop should be firmer in a day or two. He's also on a special canned food that's supposed to be easier for him to digest until he feels better. She said he should be okay unless he starts vomiting, in which case she'll need to check for an obstruction because she also found some little white plastic bits in his poop. He's still having potty issues (like he'll go on the carpet ten minutes after going outside), so I'm trying to keep him in the ex pen so he can rest.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had something similar and can maybe guide me on what to expect for the next few days. He's acting fairly normal at the moment, except for the messes, so I'm worried that he'll get upset about being in his pen so much. I don't mind cleaning up the messes too much because I know he can't help it, but on the other hand, I can't just follow him around all day with the spray bottle and paper towel.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Miss Priss, Feb 18 6:22 pm

Puppy Place > two puppies at once??
Ace

Mommy's cuddle- muffin

Barked: Thu Jan 15, '09 8:07am PST 
Ace and Nova are littermates. While I love them both dearly, my furless baby is almost three months old and has been far less work and stress than two puppies. I don't have much to compare them to, since they are my first dogs, but it was a challenge to get both of them through the tough puppy stages. Of course, our situation was made much more difficult in that they were sent home with us at five weeks old (my gosh, I wish I'd known about Dogster back then), so not only did they require night time potty breaks, they also needed feeding.

Bonding - Ace and Nova were bonded to each other a lot more than to us. We sent one to my mother in law's for two weeks and then switched them up for another two so that we could spend a lot of individual time with each of them and help them bond with us. They've been much better behaved and focused on us since that time. I still make it a point to separate them sometimes for walks, car rides, etc, as well as doing individual training sessions so they don't distract each other. On the other hand, Ace developed noisy separation anxiety which didn't stop until I started keeping them in a pen together during the day instead of alone in their crates. No matter what you do, I would imagine they'll still have an extremely strong bond.

Training - probably my biggest challenge. If one gets something faster than the other, the first one may have trouble keeping up the good behaviour until the other gets it.

I wouldn't say it's never a good idea under any circumstance, but it's definitely smart to do lots of research and learn as much as you can. I wish I had, I think it would have made things a lot easier on all of us. It is definitely a lot of work. You can p-mail me if you want to ask me anything.
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by Harley, Feb 5 7:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Clicker training for barking issues?

Ace

Mommy's cuddle- muffin

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 5:49am PST 
Shayne - thanks for sharing your experience. It makes me feel better knowing that although it may take a while, if I keep working with Ace and Nova they should be okay. They've met the man that lives across the hall now, and we've met a few other people on our way in and out of the building. Hopefully this will help them feel more comfortable with other people being around.

Jackson - I'm looking into some of her books on Amazon. I think I'll find them good resources both for this situation and for interacting with my dogs in general... now if only I could get the husband on the same page, bol.

Mindy - thanks for the suggestion, I put one dog in the bedroom while I worked with the other, then switched it up. It seemed to work fine. And it's incentive to make sure things are put away so they're not tempted to get into anything! Thanks again.

You guys are great. It's very much appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ace, Dec 31 5:49 am

Ace

Mommy's cuddle- muffin

Barked: Mon Dec 29, '08 6:43pm PST 
Hey Jackson, thanks for the other book suggestion. I'm spending a lot of time at home right now, and I could definitely use some more reading material. I also appreciate the Kong suggestion, I've never had a problem with Ace and Nova not sharing, so I don't imagine it would be an issue. I'm also think I might pretend I'm leaving, then just sit in the lobby for varying amounts of time to see a) how long they'll bark for if nobody stops them, and b) which noises they're still responding to and which ones they've gotten used to so I'll know what I need to focus on.

Mindy... thanks so much for the step by steps. I started today with just the charging part for both of them, about five small sessions each. Nova picked it up very quickly, and I think Ace pretty much has the hang of it. My only thing is, I have limited space in the apartment, and I've been doing training in the living room/dining room, where their crate and exercise pen are. If I'm working with one dog at a time, and the other is in the pen, will they get confused because they're not getting treated while in the pen?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ace, Dec 31 5:49 am

Ace

Mommy's cuddle- muffin

Barked: Mon Dec 29, '08 6:12am PST 
Maybe I'm just dense because I haven't been on here for a while, but I'm having trouble finding the information I need with the search feature, and I'm hoping somebody can help me. I got a clicker, and want to work with my dogs both to train them and to keep them occupied inside, but I don't know a whole lot about it. I've read some of the Karen Pryor website, and most of a book called 'Clicking with your Dog' (Peggy Tillman), but I'm not sure how to solve one of my problems.

I've put my dogs in a difficult position... due to complications after having a baby, I was in the hospital for a while, and after I came home was on bed rest, so the dogs went to my MIL's (3 hours away) until I was able to take care of them again. Unfortunately, during the time they were away, we had to move. Now that they are 'home' again, they are having to get used to a new baby, a new house, and a mommy that is mostly better, but still has a little trouble getting around, and is slower on walks. They've been adjusting very well, especially to the baby (I'm so proud of them), but they're having a lot of trouble with the noises here.

We are in an apartment building (we were in the basement of a house before, facing the backyard), next to an older couple who are home all the time, and right across from the elevator. The poor dogs don' t understand that the people (and dogs) in the hall have every right to be out there talking or doing whatever. Every time they hear keys, people talking, elevator noises, other dogs... they want to bark. I know they're confused, and trying to 'protect' me and the baby, and I realize that, as Shelties, they're not going to stop barking altogether (and I don't expect them to), but are there some tricks I can try to help them out? I'm afraid to go out anywhere and leave them here because I don't want them irritating the neighbours. At some point though, I'm going to have to go shopping or to an appointment and I don't want to get evicted or anything. If anybody has any ideas or knows where I can look for more information, that would be great.

Also, if there's any clicker people out there that wouldn't mind me pawmailing them with questions occasionally, I'd appreciate it. I feel dumb posting my silly little questions in the forums.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Ace, Dec 31 5:49 am

Behavior & Training > Possibly getting a cat.
Ace

Mommy's cuddle- muffin

Barked: Tue Dec 23, '08 3:25pm PST 
In addition to what Bingley said, some rescues will let you borrow a cat you're interested in for a trial period to see if everybody gets along. The rescue we got our cat from allowed us to bring her home for a week to see how the dogs would react. We paid a small fee up front, then the rest of the adoption fee when we decided to keep her.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lolita, Dec 25 5:42 am

Shetland Sheepdog > Where are all the Shelties?

Ace

Mommy's cuddle- muffin

Barked: Sat Dec 6, '08 5:47pm PST 
I've been gone for a while because Ace and Nova are being fostered due to some health issues that left me unable to take care of them and coming on here was another reminder that I didn't have them with me. But I'm getting better now and they'll be coming home soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by McTippers Moonstruck Zephyr RN, Sep 4 11:08 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Breeding "Highbreds" 4 big bucks!

Ace

Mommy's cuddle- muffin

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 3:50pm PST 
' Oh I found this bueaty above some puppy pictures.

"He was 4 weeks and 7 days in theses pictures."

What the heck is ' theses? '
'

What the heck is 4 weeks and 7 days?!?!? That'd be five weeks in my world... lol. Soon it'll be my puppies' birthday... they'll be eleven months and 31 days.
[notify]
» There has since been 409 posts. Last posting by Dr. Watson, Jun 13 2:27 am

Dog Health > opinions wanted: what makes a good vet?

Ace

Mommy's cuddle- muffin

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 2:20pm PST 
I appreciate our current vet clinic because it's very easy to talk to pretty much everybody there. The receptionists always ask before petting or giving treats to the dogs. Both of our actual vets give us the information we need, and don't have a problem if I have to ask a lot of questions to clarify something or add on to what we're discussing. I feel comfortable with the way they handle my pets, and they seem interested in activities and events going on with the dogs at home.

They always let me know what they are doing, whether I'm actually present or not, and how much I will be charged. When the dogs got neutered, they called repeatedly throughout the day to give me updates on what was happening and how they were doing, and when I picked them up, I was sent home with plenty of detailed information on after care and what to do if anything unusual happened. The hours are good, they have one or two 'later' nights per week which is helpful for people that may work all day.

The only time I've had a problem with a vet was at the clinic where my mom takes her cat. Our regular vet there is very good, but twice we have ended up with a different vet who does a thorough exam and is knowledgeable, but maybe a little lacking in the people aspect. He repeatedly cut us off when we were asking questions, and once or twice changed the subject without really addressing the issue we were talking about. That was especially frustrating for my mom who doesn't have a lot of experience with animals, and going to the vet is just another expense to her.

Basically I think it comes down to communication... you need to be able to get your questions answered and know what's going on with your pets and what your options are. If you don't have somebody you can trust and work with on a personal level, that makes it very difficult.
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by Shift Chanel Anniston, Jul 10 5:03 pm

Shetland Sheepdog > A Sheltie's coat.
Ace

Mommy's cuddle- muffin

Barked: Sun Jul 6, '08 3:17pm PST 
Ace and Nova are litter mates and even their coats are different. Nova has very thick fur with lots of undercoat (which he's currently shedding at the rate of about a cat every other day... bol), while Ace has very little undercoat and thinner fur in general. Neither one of them look like full coated, adult Shelties though.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Mila, Oct 15 7:19 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.