Postings by Winston

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Behavior & Training > train dogs to sleep on bed in floor
Winston

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 5:19am PST 
My dogs are 5 & 6 years old. They are crate trained and due to our schedules are crated all day and then to sleep at night. We tried to leave them out during the day, but my bigger dog has separation anxiety and ends up chewing up anything he can think of. We do not trust to leave him out (this happens even if we walk him twice a day, he's very moody). Our next option was to leave them out at night to sleep. I obviously can't leave them out in the living room because he will still get into stuff if we aren't watching. I want them to sleep in our room, on the floor, in their own beds. The bad thing is, if they come into the bedroom they will automatically get in our bed. Is is possible to train them to sleep on their own bed in the floors at their ages? What do I need to do?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Oct 17 5:37 pm

Behavior & Training > crating dog all day
Winston

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 12:01pm PST 
I feel horrible right now. I always thought that crating my dog was safer and more comforting for them. Recently they have started acting out. My mutt has PICA I swear, he eats the most random stuff. The pug has started marking on our clothes if they are on the floor. I then started reading that they shouldn't be crated all day. Unfortunately due to new jobs for the last year or so they have been crated about 11 hours a day (I know, I didn't realize it was that long). Then we also crated them at night. When I look at the big picture they are spending their lives in their crates.
I am almost in tears because I realize I am probably causing their emotional issues.

Is it okay to start leaving them out during the day? How do I train them not to sleep on our bed at night if we want to leave them out? They think they own our bed.

I really want to put them in day care or get a dog walker, but we really can't afford it frown
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", May 17 4:18 pm

Dog Health > I feel like a bad "parent"...

Winston

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 9:04am PST 
Thanks everyone! My dogs aren't really chewers, they've never even had a bone. Winston like nylabones as a puppy but stopped chewing around age 2. The fact that they don't chew is what makes me nervous. They have bad allergie and Winston is gluten intolerant so I am leary of the dental bones. I live in an apartment, so giving them raw bones on my carpet is a NO NO. I don't have the outdoor space to let them chew. Maybe I'll try brushing, if not I will look into the alternatives everyone suggested. Thanks so much for the help!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Noah, Feb 14 9:44 am

Dog Health > I feel like a bad "parent"...

Winston

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 5:40am PST 
My dogs are soon to be 5 and 6 and I have not brushed their teeth ONCE! I feel really bad, especially because the vet mentioned the plaque on Winston's teeth. I cannot afford to get them professionally cleaned. If I become deligent with his oral care, can I slow down the need for him to get them cleaned? What are the best products (brushes, toothpaste, water treatments) that you GOOD parents have used!? big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Noah, Feb 14 9:44 am

Dog Health > Leg licking

Winston

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 5:05am PST 
It's not at a joint and it's not an open sore. It's just pink and he's licking his hair off. I'm starting to think it's anxiety and boredom. Since it has gotten dark earlier we don't always get in our daily walks. Our neighborhood is dangerous to walk in at night because people fly down our roads and don't watch where they are going regardless if you are wearing reflective gear. I am going to have to make it a point to walk him though.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 13 3:47 pm

Dog Health > Leg licking
Winston

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 7:27pm PST 
My poor Winston licks his leg while in his kennel. I can hear it when we put him up at night. I noticed its now missing hair and raw. He's even thrown up hair all over his bed. Is this a sign of boredom? What can I do? What should I put on the raw spot?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Feb 13 3:47 pm

Food & Nutrition > dog acting like hes starving

Winston

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 3:41pm PST 
My dog Winston is gluten intolerant and his sister has food allergies that we cant seem to pin point. Right no we have them on Natures Variety Salmon, which they both love. Maddie continues to get yeast infections (I am sarting to think hers are environmental), but they both act like they are starving all the time. To the point that Winston is now eating random stuff off the table like paper, rags, candy, etc etc. What should I do? Is there something I shoud add like green beans or is the praire food okay for Winston, is oatmeal okay for gluten intolerance? I feel like the grain free is just not filling them up. Winston is supposed to be 40ish lbs and is about 55 the vet put him on a 700 calorie diet and I am measuring. Maddie has lost weight as well and also acts like she is starving but the vet says she looks great. Any ideas would be great.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, Jan 11 11:14 am

Food & Nutrition > Question about Natural Balance

Winston

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 12:41pm PST 
My dogs had been on Natural Balance for most of their lives. I chose it because it was limited ingredient and I have one dog with gluten intolerance and another with severe food allergies. After all the recalls and weight gain from my pug I decided to switch them and it was one of the best things I ever did. Natural Balance is mostly potatoes and not enough protein for most dogs. I switched them to Nature's Variety Instinct. It's a grain free food and they have LIT lamb. http://www.naturesvariety.com/ CHeck it out, you can get a coupon for your first bag too. My dogs have more energy, food allergies have lessoned, and they both have lost weight!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Marley, Nov 22 10:31 pm

Dog Health > Joint Supplements

Winston

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 7:37am PST 
At what age should you start a dog on joint supplements? Winston is a 5 year old "terrier mix". Really we have no idea what kind of dog he is. I've noticed that as he is getting older he is waddling a little with his back legs. It looks like he doesn't move quite as good as he once did. He is a tad over weight, but we are working on that. Should I start him on some joint supplements? I don't want it to get worse as he gets older.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Nov 4 7:25 pm

Food & Nutrition > Go, Now, California Natural or Nature's Variety
Winston

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 8:22am PST 
oh okay! Well some sites I've read where people swear their dogs got sick 6 months after the switch, but you never know! I am just at a loss for a limited ingredient food that I trust for my two. I mean one is allregic to everything probably including AIR and the other is gluten intolerant and we believe has a few other food allergies too. I've seen them do well on venison and want to keep along that line. Thanks for the info I may try CN!
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, May 17 9:36 pm

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.