Postings by Cheri

GO!

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

Sports & Agility > starting my 2 dogs in agility
Cheri

A borrowed dog- that stole Mom's- heart

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 8:28am PST 
Actually, our practice jumps for at home are not like the trial ones at all, but they work well for us for training and practice, and it does not seem to make much difference. Mom has trained 3 dogs on them. The side bars (verticals) of the jumps are just cut to the correct height and have a PVC elbow bracket connecting the horizontal bar to the side bars. The side bars go down and are connected with another PVC connector making a 'T", and (this is VERY important) the feet (the T part) are very short, no longer than 4 or 5 inches in length. Since the horizontal bar is fixed, the jumps need to be easily tipped over as to not injure the dog. The short feet accomplish this very well.

These jumps are very inexpensive and extremely easy to make - the biggest investment is the PVC cutters, and several jumps can be made in a short span of time.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cheri, Jul 21 8:28 am

Grooming > What do you do with your dog's whiskers?
Cheri

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 7:15am PST 
Hunt and play??? Maybe hunt??? But we all do agility and play rigorously without whiskers. Kenzie "hunts" squirrels fine, too! We do not need whiskers to tell us where we are or to keep our balance. Maybe some dogs do and some don't. We like the feminine look that a clean face gives us.

--Cheri
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 25 10:49 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Any tips about adopting seniors? (sorry long)

Cheri

Barked: Fri Jul 11, '08 8:37pm PST 
That is so wonderful that you will be adopting a senior dog. I was five years old when I came to live with my Mom. I started agility at age 6 (after learning obedience), and now I am 10 and getting faster and faster at agility and even traveled this summer to UKC agility nationals, where I placed 3rd in my height division in AGI.

So you see, we older dogs still can be quite lively and fun. Thanks for giving this girl a chance - she will show her appreciation, I am just sure!!

--Cheri
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Jul 15 11:29 pm

Shetland Sheepdog > My guy is 1 today :-)

Cheri

Barked: Sun Jul 6, '08 12:44am PST 
Happy birthday Piper - party

We eat Canidae.

Cheri
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Firefly, Jul 7 4:44 pm

Sports & Agility > Favorite Agility Obstacles

Cheri

Barked: Sun Jul 6, '08 12:03am PST 
Thanks Aslan, I do a pretty cute chute, but the weaves at trials - that is another story!

-Cheri
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Ozzie, Jul 20 1:22 pm

Shetland Sheepdog > What type of home do shelties do best in?
Cheri

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 7:36pm PST 
I would like to add that Shelties do best in homes that are peaceful and not chaotic. But peaceful does not mean without exercise and stimulation. Shelties love to learn and are VERY much inclined to try to please. Shelties do not usually need nor do they respond well to harsh correction. They are usually very sensitive and soft by nature.

We by nature are big barkers, but behaving nicely in that department can be learned. We have been taught to not bark excessively, and we also have learned that after dark when we are put outside, whether it be late at night or early morning, that we are to be quiet. It did not take long for us to learn this little rule and our early-to-bed neighbors appreciate us! We also travel a lot and we do not bark in motel rooms, either. We have been taught to not whine or bark when crated at dog shows. We can go anywhere and behave nicely. Mom has had 5 Shelties, and all of them have been able to learn to only bark when it is appropriate.

Cheri
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MaizieMoo (diva baby), Aug 19 9:56 pm

Sports & Agility > Favorite Agility Obstacles

Cheri

Barked: Sat Jun 21, '08 7:54pm PST 
The chute - Mom calls me her chute-ing star!

-Cherisnoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Ozzie, Jul 20 1:22 pm

Shetland Sheepdog > Neurotic Sheltie - please help!

Cheri

Barked: Sun Apr 27, '08 9:52pm PST 
Get some extra smelly treats - like salmon and use those. Some treats are better motivators than others!

Cheri
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tory, Oct 19 7:11 am

Shetland Sheepdog > How much do you weigh?

Cheri

Barked: Sun Apr 27, '08 9:47pm PST 
At the age of 10, and still a svelte agility dog, I weigh 14 pounds. I am right at 14" tall, too.
[notify]
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by , Nov 12 4:59 pm

Sports & Agility > Need help with picking out agility equipment.
Cheri

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '08 5:11pm PST 
Chelsea:

For weighting down tunnels, we use weights (like you use for weightlifting - only the ones with the rubbery exteriors). I think ours are 5 pounds each. We attach bungee cords to them and they keep the tunnels from moving. I am sure that the milk jug thing would work too, but oyu have to fill it wiht something which can always spill.

Cheri
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 9 10:25 pm

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.