Postings by Jahkal

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > Was this aggression?
Jahkal

Chain Link- fences are- invisible.

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 10:01am PST 
yeah, I'm the same person with the Am Bull. Everything is progressing so quickly that the topic I posted a week ago has nothing to do with my question now. laugh out loud

Well, in response to Cracker, Jahk's body movement doesn't seem TOO stiff but he's definitely not completely relaxed, he's terribly hyped up. As for Domino she just kind of goes up to the fence, takes and look and then trots around and finds something to chew on.

We took them to an empty tennis court yesterday to see how everyone did. We let them go but left the leashes on just in case. After about five or so minutes we took Domino's leash off because everyone was doing good. Then, Domino and Diesel start playing. Which was awesome because Domino hasn't been able to really play in a while. Well Diesel was chasing Domino all around the court and they were having a blast, sometimes Jahk would go over there and pounce in a little bit but would kind of break off and look uneasy. The second that happened I would grab Jahk's leash and walk him around the tennis court while the other dogs played, telling him what a good boy he is. So Domino and Diesel are doing fantasic and we figure we can take Jahk's leash off because it kept being stepped on and caused tension in the leash which I know could start a fight. (We left Diesel's on the whole time, just in case.)

Domino and Diesel played together fabulously because although Domino is only 35 lbs. she plays ROUGH, and she loves it. Diesel plays pretty rough too so I'm sure Domino was stoked that she found a dog that is a match for her. We kept a good eye on them the whole time though, again, just in case. Well, everybody has pretty good vibes, everyone is relaxed, two are playing and Jahk is kind of following me around, sometimes pouncing on the two and then breaking away. I continue to tell him what a good boy he is when he's following me and then Diesel decides its time to play with Jahk. Well they play for a second but then I think Diesel got a bit too rough...or something. Jahk put his ears back and had his tail really low (not between his legs but really low) and he was trotting kind of fast and Diesel was following him. You could tell Jahk didn't like it very much so I said 'Okay we're done.' and we leashed everyone up and walked home. We spent a good half hour or more at the tennis court.

So, Domino and Diesel get along great now (outside the house and yard at least.) but Jahk and Diesel are still not great. I think Jahk wanted to play but he doesn't play very rough at all. He's a very sweet, docile boy and he doesn't even really play rough with his toys. I think Diesel kind of scared him away because you could tell Diesel just wanted to be friends and play but Jahk wasn't having it.

We're still keeping them seperated, we still walk them twice a day. Once we walk Domino and Jahk together and Diesel seperate (he definitely needs some training) and then at night we walk all three together. We also figure we'll take them to that tennis court every saturday. Is there any way for Jahk and Diesel to ever get along and be able to play together? We're getting Diesel neutered the 25th, will that help calm down his play do you think? So far, I have done everything that everyone has suggested and well, the progress is growing by leaps and bounds! At least we got one of the dogs to like the new addition. laugh out loud

Thanks again guys, really, I don't know what I would do without dogster.way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Cracker, Aug 11 5:44 pm

Behavior & Training > Was this aggression?
Jahkal

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '08 1:48pm PST 
Alright. We have two dogs, and we just rescued an adult American Bulldog. The dogs didn't start off on the right foot and a couple of fights broke out. We have been keeping them seperate ever since. We walk them together everyday.

Anyway, we have started to bring Diesel (new dog) up to the fence where our original two dogs are to see how they react. Well, Diesel kind of just ignores everyone and sniffs around our trash cans, and Domino doesn't mind too much. Jahkal did something I'm not quite sure how to interpret. He went to the fence and he was barking like crazy, it sounded angry and it was very loud BUT his tail was wagging and it almost looked as though he were play bowing and jumping around from spot to spot very excited.

So, anyone have any ideas what Jahk meant? smile

Thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Cracker, Aug 11 5:44 pm

Behavior & Training > Anyone who has an American Bulldog?

Jahkal

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '08 5:23pm PST 
Yeah, I wouldn't trust him around my dogs yet. Luckily my backyard and my front yard are both fenced but also seperate so I will keep my guys in the front and the new guy in the back until I can completely trust him. As for him being a fighter, I don't know if he actually was, I'm just assuming. I will definitely read up on it though before I actually bring him to my home.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by In Loving Memory of Chance, Aug 1 8:39 pm

Jahkal

Barked: Thu Jul 31, '08 9:33pm PST 
Thank you everyone, we're taking them to the park this weekend to see how well they get along.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by In Loving Memory of Chance, Aug 1 8:39 pm

Jahkal

Barked: Thu Jul 24, '08 9:35pm PST 
Now this dog isn't from a shelter, it's from an individual who took him on from another person. He says he does fine with his other dogs and when we had him in the runs in the back he didn't show any aggression, now I know that this doesn't mean he doesn't have any dog aggression which is why we're going to have my dogs and this dog meet up on neutral ground and see if they get along. I'm more of worried about any same sex aggression that ABs might be known for. And as for him fighting, it's not a for sure thing I'm just kind of assuming. He might have just got in a really bad dogfight and his old owner cropped his ears because they thought he was a pitbull and wanted him to be macho, who knows? I'm still assuming dogfights though, however, he is really young. He's probably not more than a year which is why I come to another conclusion that if he was used for fighting he must have not been very good or else they wouldn't have gotten rid of him at such a young age.

Thank you though, for your advice. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by In Loving Memory of Chance, Aug 1 8:39 pm

Jahkal

Barked: Thu Jul 24, '08 6:52pm PST 
Today was very bittersweet. The dog I had planned on either adopting or at least getting to a rescue was unnecessarily PTS by his caretaker. However, today also brought in what might be my new boy. As I walk from my car up to the door of the vet clinic there is a man holding a dog that I could see from far away was an American Bulldog. This dog is in terrible condition, he had been in a dogfight and his entire face is swollen, so much that his eyes are swollen shut. I was talking to this guy for a minute and found out that he had taken the dog from someone who didn't want him anymore. my assumption is that they wanted him to be a fightdog, he had a lot of old scars on his face and his ears were cropped so low that they were almost nonexistent. I didn't ask any questions about it but the guy told me that he was looking for a home for this guy. He said that the bulldog got along really well with his dog but I didn't ask the sex of his dog. My question to all of you AB owners out there, how same sex aggressive are American Bulldogs? I have Domino, who I'm not worried about, she loves ALL dogs, but I am a bit worried about Jahk. He's a little timid around new dogs, which IS partly my fault because when we adopted Jahk I had a huge, unanticipated, workload fall upon me. I socialized him decently, but not to Domino's extent. He's a little iffy about other dogs, but warms up pretty quickly and he doesn't seem to discriminate towards sex. What're the chances of Jahk and this AB getting along? I talked to the guy and gave him my number so he can give me a call so we can have our dogs meet up at a park. I know that bringing the AB to my house would be a BAD idea so I figure the park is probably the most neutral territory you can find. And also, if the chances of the dogs being compatible is low any rescue information would be lovely because I don't think this dog is in quite the right hands. I think this man's intentions are good but he DOES NOT know what he's doing.

So, anyone who can help me. We lost one but maybe I actually can save this one.

P.S. My fiance and I have been talking about another dog (after we found out that the chances of us getting Arnold were slim to nill, and then he was later PTS. R.I.P. Arnold.) and after a lot of research we have decided that an AB would be good, it was just coincidence that this boy showed up at the clinic today...or maybe it was fate? Who knows. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by In Loving Memory of Chance, Aug 1 8:39 pm

Puppy Place > Advice about puppy teeth?

Jahkal

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '07 3:00pm PST 
BOL. It's too late for that!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by NuNu {Nubert Nubinsky}, Oct 14 9:32 pm

Puppy Place > Advice about puppy teeth?

Jahkal

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '07 3:30pm PST 
Okay so Jahk has two puppy teeth that won't fall out. It's his two lower teeth. (The canine on either side) His adult teeth are growing in but instead of falling out they are being pushed out and the adult teeth are growing behind them. ALso the two puppy teeth have turned brown and I'm worried they might start decaying and become a problem. They don't seem to bother him but could this be a potential problem? Does anyone know if they will fall out or if they must be pulled? All his other teeth seem to be growing in fine except for those two which just won't fall out.

shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by NuNu {Nubert Nubinsky}, Oct 14 9:32 pm

Puppy Place > Screaming, Crying Puppy!

Jahkal

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '07 10:41am PST 
When we first brought Jahk home it was TERRIBLE. I mean we would howl, and bark, and whine and howl and howl and bite his cage and howl. It was awful. What helped him a lot was we would put him in his crate, close the door and feed him about five or six treats through the closed door then leave, when we came back we fed him another two or three treats. This way he wasn't making a huge ruckus when we let him out because he was more focused on the treats so he wouldn't think that ruckuses (Sp?bol) are okay. After he got his treats and we let him out we would make a big old deal about him and how good he was. Now he is perfectly quiet when he comes out of his cage. He is still a little noisey when we leave but he shuts up nafter five minutes or so.way to go Good luck.

And btw your puppy IS adorable.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Woody CGC, Oct 4 9:14 pm

Puppy Place > What do you notice about YOUR pup?
Jahkal

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '07 10:31am PST 
Well when pees he can never decide to have his leg up or down. I assume that's because he is still a little boy puppy but when he poops he actually walks. He squat and then just kind of waddle in a half circle and leave a trail of poops. I thought that was pretty amusing.

Also I notice that whenever Jahk has a toy he will grab it and run up to Domino and shove it in her face as though to say LOOKIT It's mine! And when she doesn't do anything about it he'll drop it at her feet and push her. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Misty, Oct 9 8:47 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.