GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Behavior & Training > Aussie won't listen when other people are near by.
Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 8:20am PST 
Sounds like Rylee could use the help of teaching her that kids aren't that scary! Check out BAT, functional rewards.com
Also practice training her at your work place when you're off the clock(stay late or come early or during lunches). Be consistent and use positive reinforcement basics to teach her with increasing distractions(customers).
smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 27 4:42 pm

Behavior & Training > Trying to help 13 year old dog adapt to new home and new pets
Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 8:56pm PST 
I'd definitely say it all sounds stress related. Leave dominance out of this equation, it's irrelevant. What would help is teaching the dog that the new cat being around I a reallyyy good thing. Give the dog special treats when he acts calm with the cat in the room, anytime he is calm!! don't push him too hard!
Another thing that may help is adding a fish oil to his diet, talk to your vet- it can help with a ton of health issues tht we could be unaware of and those we are aware of-- helps decrease inflammation and will certainly help the skin and coat! Omega qd works wonders for our older girl.
Other than that, hire a behaviorist!!
Good luck, keep us posted!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 10 8:56 pm

Senior Dogs > Things That Make Your Senior Young Again

Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 8:25pm PST 
We use a fish oil supplement that has really** helped with arthritis- omega qd is our favorite stuff!
Also use glucosamine, chondroitin, and msm tabs to help.
Thanks to the supplements our girl loves greeting her mommies at the end of the day, chewing nylabones, loves people laughing- she starts playing with her brudder, and runs around like a crazy cutie with her plush toys!!
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Apr 15 5:39 pm

Behavior & Training > Help!

Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 8:20am PST 
Much much more information would be needed to assist your situation. Share??

Some commands that could help you is to teach the dog the 'off' command and a 'go to place' command until you have the information you need to asses the situation fully (if you are not very familiar with dog behavior or training it may be better to have a trainer work the dog WITH you). USE POSITIVE methods.. do not punish the dog for showing aggression!! It can make it worse and cause more frustration within the dog.
Check out dogstardaily.com for training info and apdt.com for an actual trainer/behaviorist in your area.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 6 1:10 pm

Behavior & Training > A good primer for understanding canine behavior?

Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 5:51am PST 
A great resource on the subject that also provides a list of bookse, etc:
http://apdt.com/trainers/career/default.aspx

Also a recent post on great books:
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Behavior_and_Training/thread/7 25220
This thread has the list of most of the 'must read's and the Clinical Behavioral Medicine for Small Animals by Karen L. Overall (1997, Paperback) is also a MUST smile
Good Luck to her!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 20 6:17 pm

Behavior & Training > What Books Can You Recommend?
Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 3:17pm PST 
Anything from www.dogwise.com is suitable!

Alexandra Horowitz 'Inside of a Dog'
Patricia McConnell 'The other end of the Leash' and 'For the Love of a Dog'
** Jane Killion 'When Pigs Fly' GRREAT clicker training book- I never would've gotten into clicking if I didn't read this. Encourages your dog to think for herself more and solve problems, which is great enrichment!
Brenda Aloff 'Canine Body Language'
** Pat Miller 'The Power of Positive Training' Easy to read and should be in every household!!

Anything from Jean Donaldson, Nicole Wilde, Coppinger, Turid Rugaas, Terry Ryan, Sophia Yin, Karen London, Dunbar, Karen Pryor.. I could go on and on..

I second the note that I don't always agree with everything these authors write, but majority yes. I also like Coren but Horowitz has a better reputation smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 7:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Possessive aggessiveness

Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 5:42am PST 
the book MINE! by Jean Donaldson will help you greatly in this situation if you wish to pursue training on your own.. otherwise www.apdt.com could help you find a trainer or behaviorist in your area.
being knowledgeable in canine body language will greatly help in this situation as well! Brenda Aloff has a great book with tons of pics on body language! www.dogwise.com
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 5:42 am

Behavior & Training > DoGS being aggressive towards older jack

Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 5:27am PST 
Sounds like there is a lot going on in your household! I would recommend a behaviorist for sure! www.apdt.com
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 5:27 am

Behavior & Training > dissapointed in IACP!

Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 5:23am PST 
Ugh, yes what a waste! The only association I have found to not be heavily occupied by positive punishment is association of pet dog trainers (apdt.com).. but I stopped looking very hard when I found about 2 others that diappointed me. dog walk
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 5:23 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > goodness gracious.. how to help??
Cinnamon

wheres mommy?!

Barked: Wed Nov 9, '11 9:37am PST 
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21359610

I was just logging on to facebook and ATL Beagle Rescue had a post about these sweet 10 yr old beagles and their 2yr old friend that were just turned in on the 8th. Oh this breaks my heart..

What do some of you all do to help the homeless animals from home? I have fostered before but it's not a possibility in our current situation and it wasn't thru an organization
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 9 9:47 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.