Postings by Bella

GO!

Dog Laws & Legislation > Help with a Paper on Pitbull Bans?

Bella

Barked: Wed Apr 1, '09 9:54pm PST 
Im going to list a bunch of stuff you can look up!
Pitbulls used to be known as one of the best family dogs in America. Some presidents have owned pitbulls, Helen Keller owned a pitbull, Petey from the little rascals was a pitbull, the dog on Betty Boop was a pitbull.

There is a dog that was rescued from Michael Vick's dog fighting place and is now a therapy dog. There are MANY stories of pitbulls being heroic, I would definitely look those up.

You may also want to note that most people do not even know what a true pitbull really is.
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Findthebull/findpitbull_v3.html

Pitbulls used to be known as Nanny Dogs in England because of their gentle nature. When raised with children they are great family dogs because of their high pain tolerance. Unlike some breeds if your child steps on them they are much less likely to snap.

You should try to find some stories about family's who have had to give up their BELOVED family pet because of Breed specific legislation. These are dogs that have never done anything wrong, and were MURDERED by this law. The people who fight dogs and use them for illegal things are keeping their dogs because they have never bothered to listen to the law before! while the people who love their pits with all their hearts are having their dogs torn away from them.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Shadow NPC, MDM, Apr 3 1:29 pm

Rhodesian Ridgeback > Do ridgeback mixes have to have the ridge?
Bella

Barked: Wed Apr 1, '09 2:01pm PST 
No ridgeback mixes do not have to have the ridge it is a recessive trait.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Indy, Nov 23 8:08 am

Rhodesian Ridgeback > Is She a Rhodie?

Bella

Barked: Wed Apr 1, '09 1:58pm PST 
She definitely has lab in her, she may have Rhodesian. The red streak you spoke of down her back is not indicative of Rhodesian though. The rhodesian's ridge is not a different color from the rest of the coat it just grows in the opposite direction of the rest of the hair. So definitely lab crossed with something that may or may not be rhodesian.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bella, Apr 1 1:58 pm

Rhodesian Ridgeback > Can you prove a dog is a purebreed without it having papers?

Bella

Barked: Wed Apr 1, '09 1:49pm PST 
DNA tests are NOT at all an effective way of telling what breeds are in your dog. I have worked at a vet hospital for years. Recently we had a meeting with a representative from one of the companies that are doing DNA testing to find out what dog breeds are in your dog. He explained the science behind it and it was weak at best. We had an employee of our hospital send in a blood sample from his own dog to see how accurate the test was. The results came back extremely...well to put it frankly WRONG. It works in some cases, however they do not have many of the breeds in their databases. Also, DNA from pure bred dog that has lineage from England or other countries will differ from a pure bred dog of the same breed in the United States. I think it is a fun test, but should not be used to determine anything definitively at this point. They are very expensive tests for how many faults the system they are using has at this point.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bella, Apr 1 1:49 pm

Dog Health > The BEST age for spaying/neutering?

Bella

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '08 9:36pm PST 
Do not wait until after the first heat to spay your animal it increases their chances of breast cancer by a lot. I am a Vet tech, at my clinic we reccomend spaying and neutering at around 6 moths of age definitly before the first heat ever occurs. The humane society will spay and neuter even younger and there have been no proven side effects of spaying or neutering that early. However we reccomend around 6 months because of the anesthesia.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Fun On The Run Kennel Racing, Apr 22 5:38 pm

Dog Health > My dog likes wet cat food!
Bella

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '08 9:33pm PST 
It's not good for a dog to eat cat food, dogs are not true carnivores, while cats are true carnivores. In dog food they have the balanced diet that an omnivore needs. If a dog is placed on a cat food diet he will not get the nutrients that he needs as an omnivorous animal. Also, cat food is extremely rich and fatty, your dog is likely to become over weight on a cat food diet. In addition, if anyone was wondering cats should DEFINITLY NOT eat dog food dog food does not have taurine which if a cat's diet lacks can lead to blindness and heart disease.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 21 9:45 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > For you, what are the breeds of dogs that are the top five greatest dogs in the world?

Bella

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '08 4:50pm PST 
1. Pit Bulls: also my top breed I LOVE PITS TO DEATH

2. Doberman: gotta love the dobies
[notify]
» There has since been 43 posts. Last posting by Dantes, Aug 11 10:42 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Perhaps, Just Maybe, A Greyhound Of The Retiree Status?

Bella

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '08 4:37pm PST 
Hey, Ive worked at a veterinary hospital for 3 years where we spay and neuter all Grateful Greyhounds (its a rescue group in case thats not in your area) and they are very calm docile animals for the most part. Many people ask me if they are going to need to run every day and the answer is no, like all dogs they should be walked but they are HUGE couch potatoes when they retire and they will appreciate you rescuing them from the track. I have yet to meet a greyhound owner who wasnt madly in love with their dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 3 3:09 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > A good cuddler??

Bella

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '08 4:25pm PST 
All puppies are going to have energy, maybe you should consider going to your local animal shelter and adopting an adult animal that is already house broken and has outgrown the puppy destruction stage of life. Many people don't realize how great adopting an adult animal can be, they will appreciate plus you can meet them at the shelter and know their personalities instead of chancing how your puppy will turn out.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 4 1:25 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.