Thank you again. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 7:18 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > RIP Lilo

In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 12:02am PST 
Thank you, Annie.

It's been hard. I still haven't completely accepted the fact that she's gone. She's been an integral part of our family for so long, it's just hard to believe. Last night, I could have sworn I'd seen her peeping out at me from the room she liked to sleep in - like she always did, waiting for me to pet her. I almost didn't think anything of it. Almost even turned around to call her to me. Until I turned around and remembered that she wasn't there.

The pain is still so fresh. I miss her.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 7:18 am

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 11:12am PST 
Thank you to both of you. hug I did my best by her. By all of the dogs. I only wanted to make sure they were all happy and comfortable. Thank you so much for your kind words.

When Cinnamon passed, I wrote for her. With Lilo, being that it happened with me so far from home, it was easier to fall into denial. I think I'm still in denial. Part of me feels that I'll get home and see her, and discover none of this is real. But I know it is. I have decided to write for her, though. In the past, I would have blogged it first, but I have not been blogging. So I decided to post it here first, a memorial of sorts.

Dearest Lilo,
We went through so much to have you. You started life on top of the world. A spoiled house dog, blissfully unaware that you would be rehomed in due time. I met you then. I was much younger than I am today. Ten years younger. Ten years isn't much to a human, but to a dog, that's pretty much a life time. You were a young dog then. Maybe only 8, 9 months old the first time I saw you. When I first met you at that cook out, I had no idea you'd be in my life again. Life is mysterious, though. And when I left that house, that was not the last time I saw you. I wasn't thinking of all the things we'd some day do. I wasn't thinking about how one day, you'd own my heart. All I knew was that you were a dog, who belonged to a neighbor, who I supposed I'd never see again.

Our lives were intertwined after that, and I didn't even know. After your owners had to move, they rehomed you. Every home you'd been through, was a life connected to my own in some way. It was truly as though destiny was working on bringing you to us. You were bred in some of these homes. Mistreated. You went through a lot to get to us. Finally, by the time you were three or maybe it was two - it's truly hard to remember - you made your way to my sister. She loved you. Oh, how she loved you. Remember how she lost her job and could barely afford to feed herself? Even when she was eating beans and rice for dinner, she made sure you were fed. We met again. This was so long ago. I was fresh in high school. Just turned fourteen. She had just taken you in then. You had had puppies. You were nervous. It's understandable. I never held it against you. You had just arrived to a new home, leaving a home where you weren't treated as you should have been. You snapped at me, but not out of spite - out of fear. You didn't break the skin. It was just a nip. But I never held it against you.

You grew from that dog into a loving, friendly dog. You were no longer scared. My sister taught you to sit, heel, stay, and come. And you started playing fetch. Oh, how you loved to play fetch. Tennis balls were always your favorite. You loved playing tug, too. For many years, you lived with my sister. I didn't see you often, for she lived away from home. So, even when you were my sister's dog, I couldn't have imagined that one day you'd be mine, too.

Then, my sister and her boyfriend had to move back home. The economy bit them again. Hard. They lived with us for a couple years and you came with them. You were about five by this point. In the beginning, you had to live outside. Don't hold it against my mom. She loved you, too, she just grew up different. Where she was raised, big dogs were outside. And that's just how it was. It would be many years later that I'd finally start to convince her otherwise. Even outside, we made sure you knew you were loved. I grew attached. I started to love the dog I'd seen when I was but 11 or 12. A dog that had crossed my life several times, but had never been an integral part of it had now become one of my best friends.

When you were younger - middle aged in dog years, I suppose - you had more energy than I could have ever imagined. You could have given a Jack Russell Terrier, a Yorkie, or a Border collie a run for their money. For hours we'd be in the backyard. It was always the same games, but it was always fun. I'd throw your tennis ball and you'd retrieve it. We'd do this for a long time before you got bored and decided it was a better idea to run laps around the yard with it, biting down until it was destroyed. And then, when the tennis ball had run its course, you'd find me a stick and we'd play with that. We'd chase each other around the back yard. I'd let you jump in my arms. And you loved nothing more than holding tightly onto that rope toy while I spun you briefly in the air. You were so young then. So much younger than you were just yesterday. But time changes things.

My sister and her boyfriend had to leave for Texas and decided it would be best if you stayed where you were. And on that fateful day, you became ours. You've seen us through so much. You were there when Chance passed away. You were there when we had to downgrade our home after my the company my mother worked for began to go bankrupt and she was let go. You were there when Cinnamon passed away. We went through so much to keep you. It was hard finding a home that would allow you to stay. For a brief period, you had to live with a friend until we could. But we did. We did it for you. Because you have become a part of our family and we didn't want to lose you. Not until it was your time to go. My sister came back from Texas many years ago. And she still loves you. She made sure you knew that. You had become not just my dog - but a family dog. You filled Chance's shoes as a family dog. And while he could have never been "replaced" (certainly, no dog can), you did become the family dog after he left us.

You aged fast. Ten years ago, you were but a pup. But just yesterday, you were a senior. Your muzzle was gray, gray streaked your once white markings, and even mixed its way into your brindle coat. Your gait wasn't what it once was. You no longer pranced around the yard - but, rather, walked slowly. As if carefully thinking about every step. You had to be put on joint supplements. The way it had plagued Chance before you, arthritis began to plague you. I knew it was coming. I just didn't realize how fast. We tried to make you comfortable. We tried our hardest. You slept soundly in your crate in your room most of the time. You did not have the energy we remembered. I knew, in my heart, that the end was near.

So, perhaps, it wasn't that much of a shock when my mother told me the news. You were fading fast. My sister had rushed you to the vet, but it looked bleak. No one thought you would make it through the poking and prodding that goes with a diagnosis. And so, you were put down. The kindest decision one could have made. I loved you with all my heart, and I believe you knew this to be true. Life won't be the same without you. It will be hard not hearing you howl every time sirens blare. It will be tough not walking past "your" room and seeing you sound asleep in your crate. I don't know what I'll do now that I don't have to take you out to use the bathroom after breakfast and dinner. But I know you know I loved you. My only regret is that I didn't get to say goodbye. And that you didn't die the way Chance did, peacefully in his sleep.

"There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
But when we are certain of sorrow in store
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear."

(Rudyard Kipling)

In loving memory of Lilo
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 7:18 am

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:01pm PST 
It seems that lately, every time I come back here, it's with grave news. But I guess, this is the first place I can think of going when something like this happens. Because I know everyone here understands the confusion, the hurt, and the grief.

Lilo hasn't been well for a while. She's been in and out of the vet and had started going downhill some time last year. Most of the ailments were treatable with the right pills and the right amount of activity. But in January, she had her first seizure. Something that she had never experienced. So, naturally, it scared us all. We took her to the vet. But the seizures hadn't stopped. She had several more. Until, today, she had four back to back and had to be taken to the vet again. It was bleak. She was in bad shape. My mother said the vet guesses it is a brain tumor. The only way to know for certain would have been a CAT scan, but they weren't sure if she'd make it through one.

And so, my family had to make the tough decision to put her down. Her suffering got to be too much. We knew she was in pain, so my sister and my mother knew it was probably the kindest thing to do. What's eating me up is that I'm not even home right now. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye and see her one last time. She'll be buried next to Cinnamon. It seems appropriate since they watched over one another many years ago before I turned them into inside dogs. They'd always check on one another. Never played, just sort of, "protected" each other. And now, both of them will rest together. Forever able to watch over the other.

RIP Lilo. You were one of the greatest dogs ever. With the most beautiful soul. You brought a smile to every pit bull lover you met, and made even some people who feared pit bulls fear them just a little less. You were a good family dog and I'll always miss you. I only wish I could have been there to kiss you one last time.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 7:18 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Detroit Rapper Calicoe Shows off his Dog "fighting" Operation

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 5:43pm PST 
There were roosters, too, that are believed to be fighting roosters. Sad, sad situation all around. frown

I saw on FB, however, that the FBI raided him and took the dogs. I didn't notice if there was any word on the roosters. It said charges are in the works. So, the good news is that his idiocy has gotten him caught.

Click
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 18 11:40 am

Choosing the Right Dog > pitbulls are not bad dogs

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 9:19pm PST 
Honestly, I think some pit bull owners are just as guilty of jumping right to their dogs breed as the people they rant about. An incident that occurred in PetSmart the other day while I was picking up a can of food for Sandy comes to mind. This guy came down the aisle looking for Innova (I think his S.O. or someone else he knew might have sent him as he pronounced the brand completely wrong and looked very lost) walking a beautiful blue pit bull. The dog seemed friendly enough but was a little too friendly. He jumped at my sister and I and of course, I flinched away, taking several steps away from the dog. I did not do this because of his breed. However, he proceeded to insist on assuring me that his dog was friendly and that I didn't need to be afraid of him because of the way he looks, etc. He, also, gave me that look I know all too well (the one reserved for when people react badly to my pit bull - though I only use it when they specify that that's why). Anyone who has a pit bull knows the look. It's not anger, but rather, hurt. I tried to explain it, but he'd already jumped to breed.

When I'm walking my small dogs, I always avoid the pit bulls. It is not a breed thing. I avoid most other terriers, too. I, also, avoid really big dogs that might terrify Sweeney. Dog aggression is common in certain breeds - pit bulls being one of them. You can't take chances. And the smaller the dog, the riskier the chance. I love pit bulls. Love them dearly. However, I cannot deny that many of them have dog aggression to some degree (even if it's managed well).

I have not read the entire thread as it's midnight and I'm tired. I just wanted to address the original post with that to let the OP know that a lot of times, the people avoiding your dog are not avoiding you because they don't like pit bulls. And that, also, when we pit bull owners automatically jump to "they don't like my dog", we're only hurting ourselves. The look of "hurt" on the guys face let me know that.

So WHAT if the breed tends towards dog aggression? And?

For some reason people seem to be under the impression that any dog who is not a slobbering, happy-dappy love-every-dog-I-see idiot dog is BAD.

Mulder, just wanted to say that I love the way you worded this.

Moreover, why is it okay for me to say that certain terriers are predisposed to dog aggression but not okay for me to say that pit bulls are? Denying that fact is dangerous. I realize that some pit bulls may never develop aggression toward other dogs, however I will definitely not deny that it is common. Because of the fact that I can admit that it is a common problem within the breed, I have taken the precautions needed to prevent Lilo from hurting another dog - and she is now eight or nine years old and has never hurt another dog. That is not proof that pit bulls cannot be dog aggressive, it is proof that I knew they could and so I took precautions. (Including separating my dogs at most times of the day - even with her inside all the time now) I think this denial some pit bull owners are in about dog aggression is dangerous. It would be like adopting a Border Collie when you only have a front yard and it's only a few feet in either direction. And then saying that high energy isn't common in Border collies.
[notify]
» There has since been 52 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 9:30 pm

Senior Dogs > what age did you notice senior changes?

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '12 7:37pm PST 
Posted here back in December. At that point, Lilo had really only been graying and slowing down just a bit. She's really aged just since then. I'm going to be putting her on a joint supplement soon as it seems her joints are giving in more these days. I, also, am going to be making her a vet appointment soon as she's been walking quite funny on her back legs and it's getting worrisome. Unlike Chance, she gained weight rather than started losing it. Looks like a change of diet is in order, too. She's slowed down a lot. Her walks are not as long as they used to be, she's not as quick to rise in the morning as she used to be, and she's not nearly as agile as she used to be. The other day, my mother took her outside to use the bathroom and said that she stumbled down the steps on the porch - giving both her and my mom quite the surprise. I've not seen any signs of hearing loss or anything similar, but she's definitely a senior dog now. It's so weird to say that. And in some ways, scary, too. She's come a long way since we first got her. I remember when I was a teenager and my mom agreed to take her in... back then, she was an outside dog. It was I who made an indoor dog out of her. She went from a beat up igloo dog house, to a crate inside (in her own little room) with a folded up comfortable blanket in it. At least I know she's living comfortably as a senior dog. Here's to making her senior years the best that I can. dog

ETA: Because I worded that badly - she doesn't stay closed in the room all the time! She actually has the whole back of the house (separated from the front with a child gate; the little dogs have the front - interaction does occur, but is always supervised). Though, these days, she spends a lot of time in her room sleeping - unless I'm back there playing with her. Though, play time doesn't last long any more, either.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Apr 5 5:10 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > McDonalds Ad...

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 9:38pm PST 
Pit bulls: They now cause heart attacks and obesity.

... Oh, wait.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 8 12:15 pm

Senior Dogs > what age did you notice senior changes?

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 10:38pm PST 
With Chance, I think he was eight when I noticed the first changes. His hearing started to fade first, and then his arthritis came, the senility appeared at around nine.

I just started noticing senior changes in Lilo this year. She's... gosh, eight? now. I'd have to check. She's starting to gray, though, pretty badly, is slowing down a bit (still hyper for her age, though), and seems to have trouble hearing every now and then. Sleeps a lot deeper than she used to. It's kind of scary knowing that she's entering seniority. Just a year ago, I didn't even realize how close she was to it.

Also... Lilo's not on a special diet yet. But I did add some joint supplements to Chance's diet when he was about eight, and added home cooked meals to it when he was eight or nine (as he'd started losing weight).
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Apr 5 5:10 pm

(Page 1 of 89: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.