Postings by Titan

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Boxer > How much do you weigh?
Titan

Titan - Destroyer of- shoes and- cardboard

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '07 3:55pm PST 
I'm almost 2, about 24 in at the shoulders (is that the withers?) and I weighed in at about 52 lbs at my last vest visit (July). Mommy says I'm too skinny and is trying to bulk me up, but I'm not a big eater unless its people food, something I dont get very often.
[notify]
» There has since been 45 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 10:48 am

Boxer > Is it normal for boxers to be aggressive?
Titan

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 5:31pm PST 
We had a breakthrough this morning! It was so exciting! We met a BIG un-neutered male golden retriever named Patch and he did FANTASTIC! No barks, pulls, growls, snarls, or raised hair! His tail was wagging and he tried to play (box)!! YEA! It is especially exciting because he hasnt been walked in 3 days and I've had to go in to work an hour early, so he's also been spending an extra hour in his crate, he had ALOT of pent up energy. We did some training using these liver treats a pup pal suggested, chased the ball at the ball park, and then met up with Patch and his family about half a block from home. When I saw them on the corner, I put him in a down stay about 10 ft from the sidewalk. When they passed by he recieved a couple of treats from the baby then met Patch and it was all tail wags and sniffs from there! snoopy We still have a ways to go ... this was just the first time he's been polite to another male dog ... but I have high hopes for my high strung puppy! Thank you all so much for your support and advice!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Titan, Sep 21 5:31 pm

Titan

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 4:16am PST 
I'm hearing lots of alpha talk in regards to him thinking he runs the show, and I'm beginning to see it. I've been watching his stance when we're around other dogs, too and its definitely NOT one of submission. Its not hair raised teeth bared ... its more of a broad shouldered, head high, feet apart kind of stance. Like the one you see in dog shows, except he's looking down at the dog rather than straight ahead. It likes he's trying to make himself as big as possible. I allowed him to investigate a couple of little dogs this evening and he was fine until he got right up to them, at which point he nearly yanked me off my feet and started his growling. Hair was still flat, but he scared the other dogs and they started back, so I had pin him to the ground until they were far enough away that he was willing to listen to me. He seemed a little calmer after I'd ran him around at the dog park for a little bit and then placed myself between him and the road. He was actually walking beside or behind me with very little prompting to do so. When we passed another set of dogs he was alert and looking toward them, he wanted to go over to them, but he remained calm and kept walking forward. ONce we were far enough apart we stopped and he got a handful of liver treats and lots of praise.
I do the firm NO thing and I talk calmly to him until he gives me a reason not too. He's usually really responsive to the leave it, no, and thats enough commands, but once he's focused on something he really wants he doesnt hear or feel anything. His choke chain used to be enough to keep him somewhat calm, especially when it is choked up around the back of his head, but now he just yanks away, even while he's hanging himself. He's gone back to counter surfing and chewing, and he's decided he only has to come in from outside when he wants to, not when I tell him to. Now that I think about it, he's probably suffering from separation anxiety. Poor thing spends all day by himself now when just a few weeks ago I was home all day with him. He's used to daddy being gone all day, but not me.

He is fixed ... A behaviorist who speaks English in Japan is hard to find and will be EXPENSIVE when I do find one ... but I am looking. If anyone happens to know of one near the Yokohama or Yokosuka area, I'd be much obliged big grin

Anyway, thanks for all the great tips! hail Hopefully things will start getting better soon
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Titan, Sep 21 5:31 pm

Titan

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '07 3:38am PST 
Titan has ripped up his favorite crate pillow, too. The stuffing is all over the floor now confused Gotta put it back together, again. Thats funny that Gunner talks back to you. Titan will give us a tude when he's in trouble ... he'll turn his face away and get this "i'm not talking to you" look on his face. Its kind of cute.

I've considered the idea of him just being protective when we're on our walks, but its so hard to tell, especially when he turns on me because I wont let him go to the other dogs. He doesnt get aggressive until I've completely refused to let him get close ... so I'm I the cause of his aggression and its really aimed at me and not the other dogs? Should I try letting him get close but keep a good grip on him so I can pull him back if it turns ugly?

The down/stay thing is going well, as long as there arent other dogs in the near vicinity. I still have to stand on his leash to remind him to stay down when they pass by. But tonight was bad ... I had to pick him up in a choke hold because he was pulling and growling so hard he was dragging me across the sidewalk. It didnt help that the other guy wasnt doing anything to pull his own dog away from us, which by that point was less than a foot from Titan's nose. He actually stopped on the opposite side of the street with his little boy and just stood there, watching me fight to keep Titan away from his dog while his dog just kept getting closer. It wasnt until I picked Titan up off the ground that he started walking away, but still didnt put a whole lot of effort into taking his dog with. At least Titan stopped his behavior when I picked him up ... but I cant be picking Titan up every time he sees another dog.

I truly dont understand his behavior ... he wasnt like this AT ALL when we got him. He loved other dogs and people! Now he just loves people and the dogs he's familiar with. We keep working on the down/stay ... but it doesnt seem to be changing his behaviour all that much. cry It hasnt been that long, so I guess only time will tell ...
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Titan, Sep 21 5:31 pm

Titan

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '07 11:15pm PST 
thinking He has friend I could ask if they could visit him during the day ... let him play and run around for a bit. But I'm not real comfortable asking if she would dog sit for 12 hours ... he can be kind of a handful. His daddy will be home next month, but even then, he'll spend 4 days alone before he gets to spend 4 days with Daddy. Unfortunately, there arent any doggy day cares around here, although lots of people here are more than willing to dogsit for others on vacation. We've been trying the sit/stay thing on our walks ... it's proving difficult, as his treats arent enough to keep his attention on me when there is another dog around. He really likes lights ... so I think I'll pick up a laser pointer this weekend and try that. We've been thinking about getting him a friend for a while ... been debating between a cat or another dog. He has alot of energy and he gets frustrated when we cant play with him on demand because we're at work or doing homework. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like too, frown I cant cut back on work to keep him company. Maybe we'll try the sitter/visit thing if Mary and Cleo are ok with it and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice, though. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Titan, Sep 21 5:31 pm

Titan

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '07 3:43pm PST 
Eve and Pepper,
He has been neutered ( cry according to Titan and the neighbors) Its hard to say if he's just being protective ... my husband doesnt take him for the same kind of walks (His walks consist of playing with the ball in the front common area or down at the tennis/basketball courts without other dogs instead of around the neighborhood and to the dog park with Cleo and Dafney) so we dont know how he reacts around other dogs with anyone but me.
I've gone back to work and I'm gone most of the day. Because he chews when he gets board we cant let him roam the house all free willy like. He barks and digs and our backyard gets NO shade after 7am, so we cant leave him outside with all his toys. He doesnt have a problem going into his crate when I leave and I try to give him a kong full of treats for entertainment, but because I have to leave early, he doesnt get a walk until late evening when I come home and only if the weather is good. He used to get 2 walks a day when I wasnt working. Could this be part of the reason? He has ALOT of pent up energy when I get home and he doesnt always get to run it all out before bedtime.
We've been thinking of getting him a playmate ... someone he can play with during the day while we're at work ... given that this playmate doesnt chew, we'd be able to leave him out, instead of crating him. But his recent behavior is making me wonder if this is such a good idea ... any thoughts?
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Titan, Sep 21 5:31 pm

Titan

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '07 2:30pm PST 
Thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can find as far as a behaviorist goes. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Titan, Sep 21 5:31 pm

Titan

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '07 3:48am PST 
Alright ... normally Titan is the sweetest thing you'd ever meet on the street. He loves people and kids. And as far as his lady pup pals are concerned, he's the mac daddy. But lately, when we're out on our walks and he sees other dogs (especially males) walking with their owners, he gets aggressive ... growling and yanking at his leash. Tonight, we passed another boxer and they were fine until the other boxer was behind us and all of a sudden he started growling and yanking. Near as I could tell, the other boxer never made a peep. When I wont let him go he turns around and acts like he's going to bite my hand. He's never actually touched teeth to skin, and I dont think he would, but sometimes I have to pin him to the ground in order to get him to calm down. When we're walking without a lead he shows no signs of aggression at all. He'll run right up to anyone, even if they have a dog, with his ears back in a submissive position, tail wagging, and tongue lolling. I dont get it. He wasnt like this when we first got him. Why the sudden change in behavior? Is he taking cues off of me? Does he think I'm afraid of the other dogs? I could really use some advice ... people are starting to think he's mean, and he's not.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Titan, Sep 21 5:31 pm

Boxer > Coughing and gagging

Titan

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '07 6:51am PST 
wave Thank you all for you're great advice and best wishes! I really appreciated them and the tips have helped out ALOT! Titan is feeling much better, now. His cough is subsiding nicely. We're down to just a few seconds of minor hacks when he gets a little too excited after we come home from the minutes of harsh coughing every few hours. We were lucky in that he really likes the grape flavored children's musinex decongestant (the only thing we were able to find at the NEX) and has no qualms about taking the echancea/goldenseal blend with his morning meal. Hopefully he'll be well enough to go out and play like normal with his lady friends before too long. I know he's missing that alot ... been eating every shoe he can get his teeth into. confused Thanks once again!

Loves and kisses from Titan and Thank you! from Titan's Mommy. dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sir Axle Mcsquishyface, Jul 8 8:27 pm

Boxer > Coughing and gagging
Titan

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '07 3:06pm PST 
These responses are great! Thank you ... my new concern is this. I spent a good portion of the night hacking and coughing and this morning my spittle had a little string of green goo in it confused I'm not having any problems going to the bathroom and my nose is as cold and wet as they come. Should I be concerned? Daddy says to wait until Mon to call the vet (its sat. here in Japan).
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sir Axle Mcsquishyface, Jul 8 8:27 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.