GO!

(Page 1 of 42: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dogs & Travel > How to find a good dog boarding facility?
Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 12:01pm PST 
ETA: Hi all!

My dogster account has fleas and I am not able to post responses on some threads, this being one of them - so I have been reading, but just not able to respond! Until the fleas are fixed, though, I can't really respond except by editing my first post, bol!

I want to say THANK YOU so much for the advice and opinions - we really need a secure boarding place, and I think I have found one. We don't want to go the petsitter route for a variety of reasons, the main one being Luka. He is very scared and anxious in any new place, so travelling with him would not be enjoyable for him or us. He really only feels safe when I am with him and he is in a comfort zone area. He is ok home with Kiona and Indy when we are not there (like at work), but NOT ok even if we are home with him if there are strangers over.

We are going to keep researching places and visiting places and we'll let you know with what we decide. Thank woooo!

_____

Well, the time has finally come... my husband and I are going to be disowned by our families if we don't visit them soon. In the past, we lived in the same state as my in-laws so the dogs could visit with us, and when we visited my family we left our dogs with my in-laws. But now we live in Oregon, and need to find somewhere we can board the dogs while we are gone.

Last winter we tried to go away and left a carefully trained housesitter (a good friend of mine) - in one day Luka escaped out of the door and would not come back, we had to fly home after one night gone. We were very scared for our boy, but we got him back safely.

I don't share about it much but Luka is incredibly skittish - as in, strangers cannot touch him, or even get near him, without him running away. We are so scared of hime getting loose again, and he is even freaked out in the house when family members stay over. So, we are not comfortable getting a housesitter.

We need to find a secure boarding facility for them while we are gone. We know Kiona and Indy would do fine with a housesitter, or staying with trusted friends, but the fact of the matter is Luka is too skittish and shy to be safe in those sorts of situations. So, we need to find the safest, most comfortable facility to board them at together.

I have not boarded anyone since Kiona was a puppy, so I have NO idea what I should look for, and am really unsure and nervous about finding a place. So, I need help... we are willing to drive several hours in each direction for a good kennel, and rates are not a factor.

We know we want indoor/outdoor runs where ideally, Kiona and Luka can be boarded together (they love each other), and Indy, too, if 3 the kennel is big enough. If not, we want them next to each other, but Kiona and Luka HAVE to be together.

We'd also really like places that have exercise runs for Indy and Kiona, but that are alright with leaving Luka in the kennel. We just don't want to risk it.

My questions:

Are boarding kennels supposed to be certified by anyone?

What should we look for in the kennel staff?

What sort of questions should I ask the facility?

What should I look for when we visit?

Is it pointless to try to find places with softer flooring than concrete?

Mainly, I want somewhere secure, safe, clean, comfortable, and as stress-free as possible for our babies.

Help please! I am so nervous about finding somewhere for my babies.

frown
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Aug 14 2:05 am

Behavior & Training > Is lure coursing good for other breeds too?
Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Wed Jul 28, '10 3:43pm PST 
Here is the kennel club that sponsors it in my area (Corvallis is about 20 minutes south of where I live in Salem): Chintimini Kennel Club - I'd make sure to check the local kennel clubs for lure coursing.

Here is a link of my friend's Siberian Andie lure coursing - impressive! Weeee!

And pardon me if this has been provided already, but here is a link to the AKC "event search" page - you can select "Lure Coursing" and your state and it will give you lure coursing events coming up. It doesn't exactly tell you where practices are, but it gives you an idea of who to contact to find out more - the breed club sponsoring an event will know where one can find practice runs. AKC Event Search.
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 28 6:24 pm

Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Wed Jul 28, '10 12:38pm PST 
What a coincidence!!! I was on Facebook today and saw a Siberian friend of mine with pictures of her Siberians.... LURE COURSING!

I emailed her for details and she wrote back that there is a kennel club about 30 minutes away from where we both live that does lure coursing. Only sighthounds can compete, but the club is fine with other breeds practicing, and siberians are welcome.

The next practice is this Sunday and she said she'd be more than happy to meet up with my in advance and show us the ropes - so woo hoo!! This Sunday, hopefully, we will see if the fuzzy huskies want to lure course!
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 28 6:24 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > 'The three most aggressive breeds'

Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Tue Jul 27, '10 7:46pm PST 
I didn't think you were pointing fingers, Ace, don't worry, I just wanted to pop in before any sort of small dog singling out took place.

While negatively stereotyping breeds/sizes of dogs in never allowed, Dogster is a public forum and people are welcome to post whatever information they find worthy of discussion, and other posters are welcome to share their thoughts and opinions on those topics as long as they can do so civilly and within the underscoring guidelines to remain fun, friendly, and informative.
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Aug 5 3:49 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > 'The three most aggressive breeds'

Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Tue Jul 27, '10 6:11pm PST 
I want to preemptively remind everyone that it is against dogster guidelines to make negative comments regarding any dog breed or mix, and against dogster guidelines to make negative comments regarding small or large breed dogs based solely on their size.

Comments referring to "little dog syndrome" or anything of the like, or comments that are overall negative in their depiction of small dogs will be removed.

Please lets all remember it is NOT the size nor the breed of the dog that makes it s hazard, but rather, the amount of effort its owner has put into it by training and by controlling it responsibility.

I don't think we need to find what "breed" is more aggressive, pointing fingers at another breed does not help the problems associated with BSL.
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Aug 5 3:49 pm

Grooming > Removing pine sap from fur?
Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Mon Jul 26, '10 9:04pm PST 
Thank you all so much! We used peanut butter - it seemed to work great. Some spots he couldn't reach (like behind his ears) but overall, we got about 90% off of him. Thank you again, so much!
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 4:23 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Should people reliant on food stamps/food pantries keep a dog?

Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Mon Jul 26, '10 8:09pm PST 
I think the important thing for all of us to remember is to assume good will. Sanka asked a genuine question, and it just looking for opinions. Please try to respond within the guidelines and offer your opinion - I do not think Sanka is saying those who have accepted food stamps should not have dogs, far from it.

Sanka, I know you are young - you have never lived on your own, supported yourself/your dogs, etc, correct? I am only mentioning this so perhaps you can empathize why this might be a sensitive topic for some folks, no matter how many times you assert the fact you mean good will.

So, I think a little understanding from everyone is important. This is a sensitive topic and we should all tread carefully and respectfully around one another's opinions on it.
» There has since been 44 posts. Last posting by , Jul 27 2:01 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Should people reliant on food stamps/food pantries keep a dog?

Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Mon Jul 26, '10 4:05pm PST 
Money does not turn an irresponsible pet owner into a responsible one, and visa versa. So I have no problem whatsoever with someone who gets government assistance with having pets.

I think those that are truly committed to their pets will do the best they can do for their pets because of who they ARE, not how much money they have in the bank.

For someone that loves their pets and understands what commitment truly means will only be limited in what they can provide for their animals by money, but they will not be better or worse owners based on their finances.

The only time I think someone who would otherwise be a wonderful owner should not have a pet is when they are unable to provide the basic necessities for their animals.
» There has since been 50 posts. Last posting by , Jul 27 2:01 pm

Grooming > Removing pine sap from fur?

Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 7:46pm PST 
Today, while at the dogpark, Luka got into some sap - he was digging under a pine tree and he has sap all over his front paws, face, and muzzle.

I was able to get some off with just some warm water and oatmeal shampoo, but there is still a ton on him. Any suggestions on how to de-sap him?

Thank you!
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 4:23 am

Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 3:59pm PST 
I agree about prey drive - it does not go away, and cannot be trained out of a dog. It must be managed, and giving a dog a good outlet for that prey drive (flirt poles, for instance...) just satisfies that urge.

I think mine would like lure coursing for exactly that reason - getting to chase down something!
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jul 28 6:24 pm

(Page 1 of 42: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.