GO!

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

Food & Nutrition > Adding more fiber to Innova Evo for anal glands
Herky (May- 17, 2007 - June 8,

Sweet Angel Pup,- Gone too Soon :(

Barked: Tue Dec 1, '09 7:34am PST 
Thanks for the input!

I wish Herky would eat baby carrots Daisy...but somewhere he got the idea that the best thing to do with carrots is shred them into tiny bits all over the carpet..BOL
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Herky (May 17, 2007 - June 8, , Dec 1 7:34 am

Food & Nutrition > Adding more fiber to Innova Evo for anal glands

Barked: Mon Nov 30, '09 5:15pm PST 
Well Herky just got his anal glands expressed again today...the vet suggested more fiber to help him express his anal glands on his own. His poops are already small and firm, and I am hesitant to switch foods because Herky and Kinnick have done so well on Innova Evo... I was thinking about adding some pumpkin to his food? I just wanted to get some opinions before I tried that. Any other suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Herky (May 17, 2007 - June 8, , Dec 1 7:34 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Funding for a Service Dog

Barked: Tue Jul 14, '09 1:32pm PST 
Hi all! I am seeking some advice and information about getting a service dog for a client I work with. After doing some research, I have found a great organization, Indiana Canine Assistant Network (ICAN), who trains and provides assistant service dogs to those with mobility issues. Compared to other organizations, the fees/fundraising requirements are much less, only $950. That may not seem like much to many, but to my client it is a huge obstacle. She has Medicare and Medicaid, but I was told these will not cover the expense of a service dog. After speaking to the staff at ICAN, they offered suggestions of fundraisers, but the problem is that my client is older, lives alone, and is physically disabled. In other words she cannot organize these fundraisers herself. I am hoping for suggestions and contact information for organizations that may offer financial support, grants, scholarships, or donations of any amount to help her out. Thanks so much for your help Dogsters!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Milo, CGC, Jul 16 4:06 am

Behavior & Training > Pet names for your pet..you know you have em ;)

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 9:34pm PST 
Herky: Puppy Boy, Herk, Herkster, Herkinator, Herky the Hawk (the mascot he was named after), Fluffy Butt, Special Boy (he's not that bright), Crazy, Herk-e-mon

Kinnick: Kinny, Sir, Big Boy, Big Goof, Drooler, Kenicke (from Grease since his name kinda sounds like it), Mr. Licker, Cuddle Butt

Kinnick Kinnick Bo Binnick, banana fana fo Finnick...Kinnick!! He loves that song! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Duppy Conquerer ~*CGC*~, Jul 14 5:11 pm

Dog Health > Eye issues

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '09 10:20pm PST 
Those pictures do not look like conjunctivitis to me. It is the cornea itself that is cloudy, not the conjunctiva (white part) of the eye that is red. It could be an infection, but if it is, it is affecting the cornea as well. I would definitely agree to get a second opinion from an expert. How old is Dutchess?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Our Gang, Mar 19 7:30 am

Behavior & Training > polite way of greeting other dogs

Barked: Fri Mar 13, '09 1:00pm PST 
Sounds exactly like my now almost two year old golden retriever. He used to do this to every dog he met, but we have recently got him to stop running up to every dog, and also to be a little less submissive. You do have to be careful because some dogs will take advantage of the submissive behavior and either pin the dog down or become somewhat aggressive. I don't really have any specific advice except to encourage your dog not to lay down in front of the other dogs, but I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 13 6:22 pm

Dog Health > Dangerous Cocoa Mulch! Beware!

Barked: Thu Feb 26, '09 9:04am PST 
Sorry guys...I got this from a reliable source - my local agility club, so I assumed it was accurate. Guess I should have done some research.

Either way, why would you buy cocoa mulch? Just seems odd!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 26 9:08 am

Dog Health > Dangerous Cocoa Mulch! Beware!

Barked: Thu Feb 26, '09 7:24am PST 
Sorry if this has already been posted...

FYI - Subject: Pet alert - Poisonous Mulch... Deadly to dogs

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa
Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and
it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso
decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large
helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something
new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and
took Calypso out for her morning walk . Half way through the walk, she had a
seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further
investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs
and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true
that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer
physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog).
However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'

This Snopes site gives the following information:
http://www.snopes. com/critters/ crusader/ cocoamulch. asp

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other
Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called ' Theobromine' . It
is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts
dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred
in the last 2-3 weeks. Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or
baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain
potentially toxic quantities of th eobromine, a xanthine compound similar in
effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity
of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and
died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao
bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 26 9:08 am

Dogs & Travel > Has anypup been to Gulf County, Florida?

Barked: Sun Feb 22, '09 8:16am PST 
Me and my doggy brother Kinnick get to go on vacation next month! Mom and Dad and their two friends rented a house on the Indian Pass beach in Gulf County, Florida. Their friends have two dogs, so there will be four people and four dogs. We have a very nice house with three bedrooms, a fenced in yard, and a jacuzzi! It is only a 3 minute walk to the dog friendly beach too.

My question is, has anyone been to Gulf County? Is there any activity (for humans and/or pups) or restaurant that you would recommend? Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Herky (May 17, 2007 - June 8, , Feb 22 8:16 am

Behavior & Training > Proudness, Curiousity, and Training... (walking)

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 6:01am PST 
Congratulations on walking regularly! It is something I struggle with at times too, especially in the winter. Since I walk two big dogs, I am a little stricter on walks. Both dogs walk on my left side, and I don't let them get more than half a body length in front of me (I use 6 foot leashes for both of them). I used to let them roam as they pleased, but I was being pulled all over and the walks became something I dreaded. With more "rules," I find that I enjoy the walks more and therefore I am better at doing it on a regular basis.

For me, I need variety to make the walks exciting (for me and my pups). We have at least five or six different routes that we take, and I always listen to my iPod on walks. My trainer had a good perspective; he said to act like I was going on a walk to enjoy it myself and I had decided to invite my dogs along. With this mentality, I really think walks have become much more enjoyable and don't feel like a chore.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Herky (May 17, 2007 - June 8, , Jan 28 6:01 am

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.