GO!

Senior Dogs > This Portland woman wants to put her old dog down herself. Please advise.

Boo Radley- Hand

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 8:24pm PST 
http://www.mandajuice.com/

"...The last time I got home from Joel's it took me over an hour to clean up after him. I then had to leave to pick up the kids and by the time I returned, the floor was already destroyed again. He flinches when I pet him because he doesn't know it's coming.

I can't do it anymore. I don't think it's fair to either of us.

The dilemma is that I need to put him down myself. I can't take him to the vet. He's so old and disoriented that I think the drive alone would give him a heart attack. He's TERRIFIED of vets and animal hospitals. Always has been (ever since the hundred stitches he got from his last encounter with a bigger dog).

I know I can have someone come out to the house to help, but even that is a last resort (see also: stranger danger!). I basically want my sweet, old dog to take his final nap on my lap and drift peacefully into his next life. I wish I knew a way to make that happen for him."
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Sep 9 6:56 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.