Postings by Ralphie

GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > sardines
Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '14 7:05am PST 
Does anyone here add sardines to their dogs diet? I don't see anyone here mentioning them. Assuming you buy water packed, they're cheap, full of calcium and omega 3s. Ralph loves them! He hasn't many teeth anymore (had many pulled due to jaw structure), but this is one of the calcium sources he can chew on. He used to eat a RAW diet, but he just can't chew bones well enough anymore (although this morning I caught him trying to eat a dead frozen mouse outside. Thankfully he hadn't gotten into it too much, for all I know it died from rat poison from the neighbours!)
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Hershey, May 3 7:40 pm

Raw Food Diet > RAW, diarrhea and a lecture from the vet. HELP!
Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 5:37am PST 
Sandy, by premade, so you mean you cook a premade meal, or you make raw premade patties?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Aug 10 11:43 am

Raw Food Diet > RAW, diarrhea and a lecture from the vet. HELP!

Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Fri Aug 9, '13 4:52pm PST 
After a crazy heat wave here in July, Ralph, who has been on a RMB diet for almost a year, got diarrhea. It wasn't getting better (not even after the heat wave left) so I took him into the vet for a check up. I just KNEW I was going to get a lecture on feeding raw, and sure enough, I did.
Ralph was put on an antiprotozoal, the vet claiming salmonella the culprite, and he was put on a bag of gastrointestinal dry food, and 4 cans of wet, along with some major probiotics.
Ralph is ALMOST done his kibble and has started licking his paws again, getting major eye boogers and just not seeming interested in this new food (I knew all of this was going to happen.)
So, what do I do after the bag is done? Do I just start him back on RMB diet, or cook his food?
I'm certain his issue was due to MY error. I'm pretty sure leaving frozen meat to thaw in the sink during a heat wave was MY fault (not my brightest moment) and that's why poor Ralph got sick.
Suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Aug 10 11:43 am

Raw Food Diet > vomits

Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 7:47pm PST 
Hello everyone. Ralph has been eating RMB for over a year now and has been doing well up until now. This week, twice hes vomited up his meal, several hours after eating his dinner. Tonight he was on my bed and I was petting him/checking for bugs, when he sat up and just randomly puked on my bed. 2 days prior, he came in from his before bedtime pee, refused his liver treat and dry heaved (nothing came up).

His poop is still good, no runny stuff, so I'm not TOO concerned about a virus, but I would like some opinions if I could. First of all, its hot here, in the 80s and Ralph is a shih Tzu/pug mix, both breeds are prone to over heating. He is drinking his water, so I'm not concerned about him being dehydrated. Secondly, tonight I DID feed him some raw veggies around the same time he ate his chicken leg. Do you think he got sick from the different digestion times from the veggies/meat. Or is he just over heated? Or both? His vomit was bits of bone and carrot.

He still gets excited to eat his breakfast and dinner, and hes still playful, so like I said, I don't think its a virus that's the cause. Its just worrisome because puking is never fun, nor is it fun to wash off a white duvet cover!

TIA
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Jun 28 4:47 am

Raw Food Diet > eating raw and now poo!

Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 5:30am PST 
Thank for the replies. Hes eating about 6 oz of goose breast, no skin, no bones, visible fat removed and 1 oz pork rib(or one pork rib) to 'solidify' his poops(which obviously isn't helping). I divide it into 2 portions because he was used to eating 2x a day. Only one meal of that day is including the bone.

Hes been eating the goose for about 7 days now and yesterday he ate NOTHING and he ran out this morning to have a runny poop again.

Yes, the meat was previously frozen after it had been shot. His poor bum is so raw from the runs that he is scooting more than ever and I end up having to wipe his tush after or else I have poop all over the house.

I will add, that he was previously eating chicken thighs/legs for about a month with no poop issues. I also included a tad of beef liver and some chicken hearts/gizzards into those meals with no problems. HOWEVER, due to the chicken eating corn, Ralphs grain allergy flared up, which is why I slowly switched him over to the goose. By slowly I mean, I added 2oz of goose to his meals for 3 days, and he had no problems.

I hope that helps
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Nov 24 1:00 am

Raw Food Diet > eating raw and now poo!
Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 9:16pm PST 
Ralph has been switched over to raw for 2 months now and its a big learning curve for both of us. He enjoys his meals, but between the fossil poops and mucous runny poops, the bile vomits and the horrible gas I'm almost ready to give up. Today takes the cake and I REALLY hope its just a coincidence...
He has been eating Canadian Goose all week, with a pork back rib to bulk up the meat (its a breast portion hes eating). Anyways, today, he had an explosive poop and then he ate it. I have NEVER seen him eat his own poop before, horse, rabbit, cat, goose, yes, but not his own. I am so ready to give up raw! Is this normal? He is not doing the barf diet, but straight up, raw meaty bones. I was on a facebook page that was helping me, but I dont feel welcome there to ask them questions anymore. Any advice???
I will add, that he was eating chicken for about a month, but his constant licking and face rubbing made me think he should try a new protein, hence the goose (hubby is a hunter, so free meals for Ralph!)
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Nov 24 1:00 am

Raw Food Diet > Trying raw again, a couple of questions

Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 4:10pm PST 
Thanks folks. One last question, chicken entrails, what are they? Are they considered an organ or meat?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ralphie, Sep 29 4:10 pm

Raw Food Diet > Trying raw again, a couple of questions

Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 2:16pm PST 
Ralph is starting raw again due to allergies. We stopped before because we lived in a condo and clean up was a real PITA. Now I own a house and I make him eat outside.

Anyways, hes a pug x shih tzu, 18 lbs. When feeding him kibble, he needs to eat 2x a day or he'll throw up from hunger (not even kidding).

Does anyone here feed twice a day and if so, what is a sample menu? Hes a gulper, so I dont mind feeding him a chicken portion in the evening when I'm there to watch, but in the AM, I dont have time to stand around and make sure hes consuming safely.

My second question is this, I use dried liver treats for training daily. Its not much, maybe the amount of 2 thumbnails in total, so should I still be serving him raw liver, or just count the treats as his liver? From what I gather, he still needs other organ meats to round out his meals.

TIA
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Ralphie, Sep 29 4:10 pm

Dog Health > Teeth shifting apart

Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 6:41pm PST 
My dog just had his annual check up 3 weeks ago and had an excellent bill of health. Since then, I've noticed that one of his bottom 4 teeth (beside the incisor) has shifted over infront of the incisor and these other have shifted apart due to the new free space. I will add that one of these teeth were pulled when he was a pup, so he is actually one tooth short to begin with. He is in no pain and is eating fine. Gums are not inflammed but have developed more black colouring around the area. I can only assume it did this during play. He is a shih-tzu x pug. Should I be taking him to the vet?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by (retired)minister misty, Jun 23 12:52 am

Dog Health > Nzymes
Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Fri Mar 26, '10 8:14pm PST 
If you can try it out, I HIGHLY recommend it. It wasn't cheap, but its a 60 day money back gaurantee, and I figured it was about as much as a useless vet visit. I'm very happy so far.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by lucy, Mar 26 8:33 pm

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.