Postings by Bob, CGC

GO!

(Page 1 of 61: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Two dogs persistently eating grass, what's going on?
Bob, CGC

To err is- human-to forgive- canine

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 3:24pm PST 
Bob eats so much grass it drives me bonkers-My husband calls him the cow. He slows down all our walks by grazing on his fave treat. Hes been trained leave it and will actually pass up meat on the floor, but not grass! I started giving him a green blend suplement that is supposed to help but honestly I notice no change so I doubt Ill get again. Ive just decided to except that he loves his grass
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bob, CGC, Aug 13 3:24 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > How Much Does Your Dog Cost You Each Year?
Bob, CGC

Barked: Thu Aug 4, '11 5:51am PST 
You make a great point about size Foxxy, I love my big guys but they cost as much as my littles all rolled together
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Yoopie (U.P.), Aug 10 3:45 pm

Puppy Place > Male Puppy Names Please...

Bob, CGC

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 3:28am PST 
Ive always liked the name Orion-be warned I might still use it though! im so happy for you
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Aug 14 12:11 pm

Dog Health > Hair Loss vets are clueless?! Help!!

Bob, CGC

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 11:53am PST 
Well is the skin underneath black at all? Bulldogs and some other breedgs get something called seasonal flank alomycopeia (probably spelling wrong). I am not sure if its common in pugs but I believe any breed can get it. Bob had large thin spots with dark hair underneath. Thyroid testing revealed no issues and he was in good health. I contactded his breeder who told me to give him melatonin. The hair has grown back-he gets 5 mg a day, Id probably have that for a pug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Jul 19 6:18 am

Behavior & Training > HELP!! I have a bulldog puppy that likes to bite

Bob, CGC

Barked: Thu Jul 14, '11 9:40am PST 
Dont worry about this being a sign of aggresion, all puppies play with their mouths. Bulldogs can be extra persistant and they have those extra sharp little teeth. Id try what you tried when Bob was a pup with limited success. If distracting him with toys or being a tree while he bit didnt work then I would put him in a time out behind the baby gate in the kitchen. This was not punishment and Id say in a happy voice lets go relax, and Id put him in the kitchen (or his crate) with a chew toy or you could try a kong with kibble.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by The Urban Hounds (Formerly the, Jul 14 12:15 pm

Behavior & Training > Grass Eating Help!
Bob, CGC

Barked: Fri Jul 8, '11 6:13am PST 
I love Bob to death but sometimes I think he stays up at night thinking up new ways to drive us nuts. The current thing is grass eating. He has always loved goose poo and here hte park is blanketed in goose poo, impossible to avoid. Now he has taken to eating grass onour walks. I dont think their could possibly be a whole in his diet he eats very high quality kibble and gets many suplements including barley dog (a green food suplement) thats supposed to deter grass eating. He still spends his time on walks eating grass. He will pull us right off the path to chomp on the grass. Ive tried picking up speed wiht him and running past the grass (sometimes works) and distracting him with treats (sometimes he would rather have the grass then turkey). These things work when we pass other dogs and other distractins, but not for grass.
Its impossible to avoid grass altogether on our walks so I know the behavior is self reinforcing. I dont believe in punishment but I am at such a loss I am also considering citronella spray when he really starts chomping down, not on him, but near him, I know he hates the smell. Does anyone else have this problem.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by The Urban Hounds (Formerly the, Jul 8 7:35 am

Puppy Place > wow, walk your puppy!!!

Bob, CGC

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 4:04pm PST 
Yes that is horrible--all dogs must be walked. I do wait until my dogs have had the first round of vacines to walk them but then we go for frequent walks for leash raining.

BTs are also pretty active little dogs--every breed needs exercise. Ive met people with bulldogs and pugs who have told me the dogs have never been for walks. One women had a 4 year old bulldog at the vet, I commented on how he was very sweet, and she told me he was but he hated having his leash put on. I asked why and she said how he knew he was going to the vet. She then told me how she never walked the dog since he was a bulldog and didnt need to be walked. Now I agree bulldogs are less active and many dont need a long walk or even a walk every single day, but they need at least several good walks a week. Mine can go for a couple miles

I do agree however there are many ways to exercise a dog---walks are only one. A vigorous game of fetch, mental games like hide and seek, etc can provide exercise.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Nukka, Jun 22 9:37 am

Behavior & Training > Aggressive new dog across the fence

Bob, CGC

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 1:35pm PST 
My dogs can be very aggresive towards are neighbors schnauzer. The dog is rarely outside so its not much of an issue and my dogs are also never outside without supervision. I make sure my dogs dont go out if the schnauzer is out there and if she does come out when my dogs are there I immediately bring my dogs inside and apologize. However, my dgos do run the fence bark and get very crazy, particularly Bob. Id love to train my dogs to ignore the neighbors dog, and Ive tried but it has met with limited success. since they encounter him so infrequently counter conditioning is difficult but I am working in it. For me the issue is having all my dogs out there, if I have them one at a time they are not nearly as bad

Have you tried asking the neighbors to set up a yard schedule?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by The Urban Hounds (Formerly the, Jun 8 6:20 am

Behavior & Training > How can I stop the peeing in the house?

Bob, CGC

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 2:44pm PST 
You must except accidents. 7 weeks is too young to be trained in any capacity and really to young to be away from mom

I do understand working--Bob was lone 6-7 hrs at a time as a 12 week old pup. I used an x pen and potty pads while he was alone douring the work week. When I was home I took him out every 2 hrs and lavishly praised him. He was house broken by 6 months which was fine with me
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Lucille, Jun 8 10:46 am

Behavior & Training > Why cant people manage their dogs and why are there so many bad media examples?
Bob, CGC

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 2:59am PST 
Yeah Sherpa I totally get it as to why Bob goes crazy at the fence. Like a lot of bulldogs Bob has a low excitment threshhold he goes from zero to 60 in no time at all. My other dogs bark at Pepper, neighbors dog, but only Bob loses his head. I do take him out solo sometimes when Pepper is around and give him treats and he is pretty good.

He is actually no so good with dogs we meet on walks if we are with our other dogs, but good if he is alone with us. He cant do the dog park. However, he is totally fine with dogs coming to our house We have dog sat on a number of occasions and he did very well. Once he gets to know the dog in his home environment he is fine.

What suprised me about Katz is how he doesnt seem to view barrier frustration as normal and he doesnt seem to think its normal dog behavior to be wary of strangers on home property. I mean thats one of the basic reasons to have a dog. I cant imagine not leashing up or crating a dog, even a known friendly dog, when a maintenance man or repair man comes into your homes. For years I lived in an apartment. Anytime the super came over the dogs went in crates, gates, or on leash Its just common sense.

Even when close friends come over I leash or crate Bob untill he settles down
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bella and Daisy CGC, May 14 12:52 pm

(Page 1 of 61: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.