Postings by Max

GO!

Dog Health > Cyberknife for inoperable Brain tumors

Max

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 2:15pm PST 
I just wanted to pass this info along to anyone who is dealing with inoperable brain tumors - or other cancers. 6 months ago Max underwent Cyberknife treatments (completely non-invasive, pinpoint accurate down to 2-3mm, radiation treatment. 6 Months ago he could barely lift his head, let alone walk, Today he just got back from a 2.5Mile hike in the woods with his brothers and sister, and tried to chase a jogger.. and he's 19 years old! I'm amazed every day at how well he's doing and wanted to share his blog with anyone else dealing with brain tumors so that you know there's a great non-invasive option out there! I've posted videos and pictures of what he looked like and how he was acting when he was firstr diagnosed, after just treating him with prednisone, after just treating him with alternative therapies and before and after cyber knife. I hope this helps someone! http://maxck.blogspot.com
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Max, Mar 10 2:15 pm

Dog Health > Diagnosis of inoperable Brain tumors - use of the Cyberknife
Max

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 2:08pm PST 
Just wanted to update everyone! Max is still doing great! It's been almost 6 months since his treatments and Max just got back from a 2.5 mile hike in the woods with his brothers and sister. He chased a jogger, twice, and we had to hold him back! And then he tried to go swimming! It is truly amazing how well the Cyber Knife has worked for him! Roxy I'm hopeful that you'll have as much success too! I left a message for you on your blog a little while ago... I cross posted it on Max's Blog for others to see too. Max's blog about his experience with Cyber knife includes photos and videos of him from before he had cyber knife to after and I'll keep updating it with new videos and photos. His blog is http://maxck.blogspot.com
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Max, Mar 10 2:08 pm

Max

Barked: Thu Feb 2, '12 4:32pm PST 
I wanted to update my original post! We did go forward with Max's Cyber Knife treatment He started the treatment on 9/25/11 and was finished on Fri 9/30/11, and I'm very very very happy to report that thus far it's been a big success! I can still see things are changing in him and some days are better than others, but 4 months ago Max couldn't even lift his head, and now he is chasing bikes, joggers, and wrestling with puppies and he's 19 years old! Since I couldn't really find any information out there about what other dogs have gone through who had Cyber knife treatments, I started to blog about Max's experiences from the time he was diagnosed, to the different treatments we tried before we finally decided to go with Cyber knife and what he went through with the cyber knife and everything after. I've been including photos and videos so others can compare their dogs to Max. I've gotten some nice emails from others who have gone through it since Max did so hopefully it's helping, but if anyone is interested his blog is http://maxck.blogspot.com

Hopefully we'll keep having good experiences and this will help others with brain tumors or other inoperable health issues.

Max's Mom & Max
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Max, Mar 10 2:08 pm

Get Well Soon > Prayers needed

Max

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 11:26am PST 
You're in our thoughts and prayers and we're sending lots of good healing energy your way!
[notify]
» There has since been 50 posts. Last posting by Wilbur Bud, Jan 19 6:00 pm

Get Well Soon > Has anyone had experience with the cyberknife and brain tumors?

Max

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 11:25am PST 
Max was diagnosed earlier this year and last week he underwent cyberknife treatments. So far so good but we'd like to connect with anyone else who has done this to see if we can compare notes.

The reason I opted for it was that it was 100% non-invasive - no cutting, and that it's extremely accurate so minimal to no radiation hits anything outside of the tumors. It also has a pretty strong success rate in humans of shrinking or stabilizing tumors so they go dormant.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 6 10:57 am

Max

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 11:18am PST 
HI All,

Has anyone experienced Cyberknife with their pup? I 'm looking for someone to compare notes with.

Max was diagnosed with 2 inoperable brain tumors earlier this year. At first we decided to treat him with just prednisone and homeopathy. In 2 weeks he bounced back to his normal self and it was amazing but after about 4.5 months he was out chasing as squirrel and something wasn't right. He stopped short and then decided it was time to go back home. Over the next 2 weeks he declined significantly to the point where he couldn't walk, balance, eat, etc. His head was tilted and he had extreme vertigo. He was beyond walking in tight circles. I thought that was it, our Holistic vet was helping him and our neurologist upped his prednisone dose, and then I learned more about the cyberknife. I hadn't realized before that it was non-invasive - I thought they had to cut their head open to have it be effective. We called up to the Animal Specialty Center in Yonkers NY at our neurologists suggestion and they said if we could get Max stable they could do cyberknife. We managed to stabilize him with a high dose of prednisone and he went up last week for cyberknife therapy.

So far he's been doing well. He's tired and has low energy, but that's normal from what I understand. He had 1 seizure that only lasted a little more than a minute and then we put him on anti-seizure meds.

Has anyone else considered or undergone Cyberknife? I'd love to be able to compare notes with someone.

I started to document this process through a blog because I couldn't find any other info out there on dogs and Cyberknife (there are videos of him and his progression if anyone is interested ) http://maxck.blogspot.com
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Max, Mar 10 2:08 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Asilomar Accords - trying to end Euthanasia

Max

Barked: Sat May 24, '08 4:45am PST 
This link was just forwarded to me about the Asilomar Accords – Thought it may be something you guys might also be interested in. http://www.asilomaraccords.org/

A group of Animal Welfare and rescue people formed this organization to help create standards for animal care in shelters (including how many spaces should be kept open, how long animals have to be kept, what should be done rather than euthanize, and standards in reporting euth rates - ie.. many shelters will say a ferral cat or a dog who nips during a temperment test is "not adoptable" so they don't count them in their euthanasia #'s when they report them. Some shelters even don't count stray animals that they euthanize.. recently our local shelter that I KNOW kills 20K+ animals / year - just boasted they had the highest adoption rate in the country - I also KNOW this isn't true...

The Asilomar Accords is working to standardize reporting so that shelters don't hide the # of animals they kill.. They're held accountable, and they're on the same standard as all other shelters..

If anyone else is in a situation with their local shelters where they are trying to help reduce rates or get the reporting to be accurate - you may want to pass this information along! If enough people know this exists, we may be able to create the awareness to help make this be the standard..
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 24 6:56 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.