Postings by Kira

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > Syracuse anyone?
Kira

Got shepherd?

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 5:25pm PST 
I'm bringing my dog Kira up from Connecticut to live with me while I attend college. She's been nervous around new dogs ever since she was attacked a few years ago, so I would like to introduce her to some friendly, low-key dogs to get her acclimated again. I would prefer medium-large+ dogs as she's a shepherd and tends to chase small animals, despite growing up with cats and rabbits.

Anyone up for a canine meetup?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ryder, Dec 19 3:29 pm

Behavior & Training > Fear aggression?
Kira

Got shepherd?

Barked: Sat Aug 2, '08 5:01pm PST 
Gypsy road, she may not be perfectly trained but she does know basics such as up, down, off, out, boundary, settle, leave it, fetch, come, wait, sit, and so on. I'm currently working on refining those skills.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by zack, Aug 3 6:05 am

Dogster Railroad > 4th Time Trying - WV - CT - Can you help?

Kira

Got shepherd?

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '08 8:03pm PST 
I wish I could help, seen as I live in CT, but my mother would refuse because of gas prices.

Good luck though, will keep Buccaroo in my thoughts.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mosey (5/13/05-4/23/12), Aug 2 10:36 am

Kira

Got shepherd?

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '08 5:09pm PST 
The only thing is, the two dogs she chased had been completely polite. They had (tried) sniffing noses, and left her when she snarled and snapped at air.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by zack, Aug 3 6:05 am

Kira

Got shepherd?

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '08 4:25pm PST 
I was at the dog park with Kira and Charlie. At first there was a group of 5 retriever, all very respectful towards Kira. Then came a couple of inquisitive puppies. They wouldn't leave her alone, and she snarled at a few of them out of fear when they had cornered her under a bench. She's never shown aggression toward another dog, but with the heat and the amount of time we were there I think wore her nerves down. (my mother had dropped us off because she had an interview in the area) I couldn't remove her from the park because I had to stay inside the area to watch Charlie (park rules).

About twice she actually snarled and snapped when dogs got too close and looked her in the eye. The initial retrievers had been very polite and had respected that she didn't want to be bothered, while the ones she feared had been very inquisitive.

I didn't in any way comfort her to support her behavior. She's never been a complete happy-go-lucky dog in large canine crowds, but she usually will make a bud or too, and get along well.

Also, two of the dogs that she had snarled at, she darted out from under the bench, chased them for about 7 feet (they were playing fetch) barking at them in a very high-pitched bark I've never heard her utter. Then she would come back and resume her position.

I don't exactly feel comfortable bringing her back to the dog park, but I don't want to leave this 'problem' unsolved. Can anyone give me any tips to make her more at ease with dogs, or explain why this started so suddenly to me?

EDIT: Thanks everyone for their responses. I feel stupid now for thinking Kira was the problem.

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by zack, Aug 3 6:05 am

Behavior & Training > Learning to roll over
Kira

Got shepherd?

Barked: Fri Jul 11, '08 9:46am PST 
I've done two ten minute sessions teaching Kira to rollover and here is the product!

video: http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x71/evaluvxkia/?action=view&curre nt=rolloverkira.flv
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jack, Jul 11 1:16 pm

Behavior & Training > Neighbors dog

Kira

Got shepherd?

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 9:24am PST 
A few minutes ago I lined up our kayaks along the fence, but theres still a lot of fence area that's not covered. I'm hoping that they'll keep the dog out of our yard, and Kira away from the fence until I can come up with a better solution.

Her recall, even though it hurts to admit, is pitiful when that JRT is out. Jack (the JRT) is out most of the day. He's out from about 7:30 AM - 2:30 PM. Which is from when they leave for work until their son gets home from school. After that it's off and on until about 9. And I don't let Kira go outside unless leash after dark so..

I do bring her in when the JRT is out, but she often takes 3-4 minutes before leaving the fence to recall to my come, and I'm not going to further her recall with the JRT by chasing her. I've tried food, but unless it's raw she still waits before coming.

I'm going to see about a training class, but I'm extremely picky. No prongs, choke collars, e-collars, et cetera for me. Plus the factor of money.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BUD , Sep 22 10:22 am

Kira

Got shepherd?

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 8:53am PST 
I have tried that. Kira gets an hour jog everyday onleash, and I play frisbee and fetch with her in the backyard daily. But whenever that dog comes out, it's like shes obsessed with running up and down the fence. I doubt it's because she's bored, because we have 2 other dogs for her to play with; numerous balls, bones, some kongs.. even a little kiddie pool.

Whenever she does get bored she goes to the fence gate, and I bring her inside.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by BUD , Sep 22 10:22 am

Kira

Got shepherd?

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 8:40am PST 
Both me and my neighbor have fenced in backyards. They have a JRT and a lab mix. My dog, Kira, loves to run up and down the fence with the JRT barking.

Thing is, their JRT does more than bark. Whenever he has a change he bites her.

She's gotten numerous bloody noses and tongues. I've tried spraying them with the hose, putting citrus and the likes on the fence. It fazes neither of them.

I was looking out the window when it happened again. This time she has little tiny bits of her nose missing here and there and I'm PISSED.

I know you're all thinking it's my fault too because I haven't had her stay away from the fence, but I HAVE tried! I've stayed out there with her and shouted "Phui" at her every time they start. I've taken her inside when they start, I've even tried making her ignore the JRT by training her in the backyard with a halti on to make her ignore him.

And to plus that, their JRT often digs under the fence and comes into our yard. Plus they have a seperate fenced in front yard they could move him too.

What do I do? My parents have told me I can't confront them about it. But I can't just not let Kira in the backyard, she's a 1 year old Australian shepherd, german shepherd mix! The nearest dog park is 45 minutes away, and they always refuse to drive me!

I cleaned up Kira's nose with some hydrogen peroxide solution, but it will still be scarred, and probably bumpy from the little chunks taken out forever. silenced
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by BUD , Sep 22 10:22 am

Behavior & Training > Angry vent to my own dog; I need help. NOW.
Kira

Got shepherd?

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '07 6:44pm PST 
If he's making him bleed, how is that play?

I'd suggest you teach him the settle command. Whenever he gets worked up put him in down position (don't say the command) and hold them there. Say settle when he starts calming down, and when he's calm let him up and praise him. If he doesn't calm down, keep him there in stay-down position. ONLY say "settle" when he's settling! Otherwise he won't get the meaning - he might even think it means to be hyper.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Oliver PAWS, Jun 23 7:03 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.