Postings by Jackson

GO!

(Page 1 of 57: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Other Barks & Woofs > How to Answer Certain Questions, Fact vs. Opinion
Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 11:14pm PST 
But um, the idea is to get to the SOURCE to take care of the problem, right? The medicine would prevent the bites, preventing the allergic reaction. The spray and shampoo would wash off the fleas that already bit. So, I would much rather help a dog than get one lousy stinking dollar added to my check.

Fact or Opinion #4: How often are you supposed to bathe this dog? I was showing a Westie to a family and the lady asked me this. I didn't know how to answer! I'll use Jackson as an example again. I've heard German Shepherds only need bathed twice a year. Whenever I tell someone that, they act shocked and say, "WOW. REALLY??" I mean, it's really if the dog NEEDS it and/or he's an inside dog. Like, if you take him hiking and he plays in a creek and hes an indoor dog, you'll probably wanna give him a bath. Westies, of course, are white, and appear dirty a lot quicker than darker dogs. So...I guess it depends on how white you want the dog?? As long as you're not bathing him once a week or something. This lady came in saying her pit bull has really flaky skin. So I recommended this ultra soothing oatmeal shampoo. Then I recommended this food for sensitive stomachs and skin. Finally I asked, "How often do you bathe him?" She replied with, "Pretty much every day". Well that's your problem right there! I told her that's depleting the oils in is skin, making it flaky. So I still recommended the shampoo and cutting down on his bathing A LOT.

SO YEAH. That's all I can think of right now. How am I supposed to answer these? How would you answer these?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jackson, Jul 7 11:14 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > How to Answer Certain Questions, Fact vs. Opinion
Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 11:12pm PST 
Ok so I work at this pet store, and they sell puppies(the only thing I don't like about the job). I would definitely say I know a lot about dogs. Not in-depth health things or genetics, but basic and breed-specific stuff. But sometimes, I have no idea how to answer questions people throw at me.
Fact or Opinion #1: Customer referring to a toy poodle. "Are poodles good with kids?"
What I'm thinking: "Any breed can be good with kids. It depends on the dog, the kid's behavior, and how the two are raised. Some say Dachshunds can be nippy and aren't recommended for kids, but Shortdog loved everyone.
What I said(based on all my experiences with Poodles): "Yes, they are"

Fact or Opinion #2: DOG FOOD. I went to this pet food seminar last Sunday, and they were talking about Natural Balance. The way they described it sounded good to me! Grain free? Limited ingredients? One protein and one carb? Sounds great! So this guy came in looking for dog food for his five Shih Tzus. I recommended Natural Balance because 1) we're supposed to be promoting it and 2) it sounds like good dog food! After I was done with that customer, my coworker said, "Don't recommend Natural Balance because the first ingredient is a carb and it's low in protein."
So I thought I was using some logic by saying, "But they guy has Shih Tzus, not Huskies or German Shepherds(for example). Shih Tzus are not high performance dogs. They were bred strictly as companion dogs, therefore don't even NEED a bunch of protein." If you had a chicken leg and had to choose between giving it to a football player or a couch potato, who would need it more? The football player!
Anyway, the very next day, a lady came in looking for food to put some weight on her Min Pin, even though he definitely didn't need it...the dog was in great shape. So I did what I was told and recommended another food. Well, sure enough, ANOTHER coworker said, "You should have recommended Natural Balance" thinking Um? To bulk up a dog? After I was told it was low in protein? At any rate, the dog will put whatever weight he needs on depending on how much you feed and exercise him. You want muscle, not fat, anyway.

Fact or Opinion #3: Fleas. A lady called saying her dog is allergic to flea bites, and what do I recommend to get rid of the fleas. Well, first of all, I know exactly what she's going through because Jackson is allergic to flea bites. The idea is to get rid of the SOURCE. Now, Jackson used Comfortis and it works wonders, but the store doesn't carry it, so I recommended the best thing they have: K9 Advantix II. I told her what it kills/prevents. I got off the phone and the manager told me next time someone asks for flea control, recommend this spray and shampoo, and I'll get a whole DOLLAR(tax-free) added to my paycheck! dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jackson, Jul 7 11:14 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > my tips for a clean home even with pets!

Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 10:34pm PST 
Good post! I need any tips I can get considering my boyfriend(and, one day, husband)is highly allergic to dander, dust, etc, and I can't live and won't live without dogs, so when we get our own place, extreme cleanliness is a must. It's been going well, so far, when I clean the house before he comes over. I'm definitely gonna use the white vinegar in the laundry tip!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Thu 10:55 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Dog Books

Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 10:27pm PST 
Haven't been on Dogster in a while, and hoping this is the right thread section to discuss books, but yeah. Anyway, I'm currently reading 2 dog books: "You Had Me at Woof" by Julie Klam, and "Dreaming in Libro" by Louise Bernikow. They've definitely been keeping my attention. I recommend them to the readers out there smile The former is about dog rescuing(Boston Terriers, especially), and the latter is about basically a self-proclaimed "bad woman" becoming better when she takes in a stray Boxer.
Oh! And I recently read Cindy Adams' book, "The Gift of Jazzy". VERY good, in my opinion.
Anyone recommend any others?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Opheila, Jun 14 6:01 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > He was loved…

Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 10:19pm PST 
Flicka said it perfectly! I feel so bad for all the dogs who fall into the hands of the wrong people. But you did the right thing, and I'm sure he's gonna be looking down at you, and not your neighbor smile and he'll be telling all the other doggy angels what a great life he had with you!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jackson, Jun 13 10:19 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > You shouldn't get a _____ if ______.
Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 10:08pm PST 
You shouldn't get a German Shepherd if
- you have allergies
- you're a couch potato
- you have no interest in teaching tricks or commands
- you like small dogs
- you want attention on walks

You shouldn't get a Dachshund if
- you want an easily trained dog
- you actually really enjoy picking up food that falls on the floor
- you prefer a dog that isn't neurotic
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Arya, Jul 7 9:29 am

Behavior & Training > Lola ugly and scary???

Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 7:22pm PST 
Lola's a cutie! Don't worry about what people think. Some people are the same way with Jackson...people go to the other side of the street when we go for walks. lol.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Moose, Jul 16 8:25 am

Who's Feeling Silly? > Who Pretended to be a Dog When They Were a Kid?

Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 7:37pm PST 
Lol you should definitely say it! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 7 10:28 am

Who's Feeling Silly? > Who Pretended to be a Dog When They Were a Kid?

Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 11:07am PST 
Natcho's mommy: WOW. I'm pretty sure we're related. LOL. I'm RIGHT there with you about the curved hands thing. lol. Gotta have paws if you're a dog, right??

Zak's mommy: well, I hope every teacher is as understanding as you are! lol. I sometimes look back and think, "my teacher probably thought I was mental shock" lol. But you're right, as long as they're not like, 15 and running around neighing, huh? lol
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 7 10:28 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Getting a Poodle...
Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 12:40pm PST 
OMG I love Poodles(toys in particular). That will be my next dog. They're super smart, friendly, and loyal. Fun to groom, too!
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Lucille, Feb 15 12:08 pm

(Page 1 of 57: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.