Postings by Stella "Blue"

GO!

(Page 1 of 279: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Help I fell in love with a dog!
Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '14 7:13pm PST 
I can't seem to follow the link
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Mar 25 7:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Cats & Dogs - Forever Enemies
Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 7:31pm PST 
Agreed. I have a baby gate that the kitty can get through but the dogs can not. You can work on counter conditioning rewarding the pup for ignoring the cat but using the gate for safety. Blue was horrid with cats when I first brought her home... too me a while ( a full year at least) before I felt safe letting them have any unsupervised time together... and even to this day, 8 years later, I use the gate just so the cat can get away. She determines when she wants to come out based on the energy level of the dogs... when they are chill, she will get mobile.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Indy, Jan 16 9:35 am

Behavior & Training > Is this marking or something more serious?

Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 4:44pm PST 
My female marks a lot on walks... she's been spayed since 6 or 7 months old... maybe 8. (never had a heat though) and she marks... I know it is marking as others had said because she makes it all day with no accidents, and I am can be gone 10 hours.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Nova, Jan 14 9:30 pm

Behavior & Training > should i be scared?

Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 5:55pm PST 
Shiver me Timbers, glad you pointed that out.. that was what caught me as well... get the dog neutered, absolutely, but that will not cure it... first... do not hit the dog, a dog with these tendencies will MORE LIKELY BITE if you start doing that... it will skip the I don't like that growl and go right to bit. I know this from experience... my father absolutely mishandled our childhood dog, which created a biter... Start refocusing how you handle the pup... sounds like he is forced to do things rather than taught - start associating the crate with good things. Even when my dogs are annoying me and I want to put them in the crate, it is never punishment, I redirect them to it with something like a stuffed kong to give myself a break, but before doing this, I have made the crate a happy(ish) place for them I feed all their meals in there even if I do not plan on crating them at the moment, and leave the door open so they can go in and out during free time, so when I need to crate them (for work), it is not so freaky for them and less anxiety inducing. Anxiety of confinement can further exacerbates potential aggression, especially if other physical and mental energy outlets are not offered (how often is the pup exercised and how much? DO you do mental challenges like obedience training, trick training, while not necessarily "useful" really helps the mind and behavior over all. ... work with a behaviorist who will train you how to train your dog. Do it now, not later...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Stella "Blue", Jan 2 5:55 pm

Behavior & Training > Sharing fences with neighbors with dogs.

Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 5:46pm PST 
Oooh... yeah, that doesn't look TOO much of a PITB to install either... I haven't seen it IN the stores... might just have to order it online... THANKS smile Going to give that a try.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Stella "Blue", Jan 2 5:46 pm

Behavior & Training > Merging two methods
Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 5:29pm PST 
Hey, as long as it does not involve pain or intimidation/ force, then all ideas are worth investigating. There are loads of other ways to work "positive" with your dog that do not necessarily involve a clicker. I only use a clicker myself when teaching a very specific new behavior. I don't use it for other "life" training, I just say good job as a "marker" of good behavior and reward with a treat/ rub/ game (depending on situation and energy level I want to support) On some level, people get a little stuck on semantics with the word correction. I do not use it as a "method" so to speak, but you can't avoid it, and it isn't always fear creating/ punishing... it's usually redirecting. I do make a sound (out of habit and reaction rather than a methodology) for things, in life, like trying to chew an electrical cord (and follow through with a redirection to an appropriate toy) but would never use them to try and develop a behavior specifically, like a sit, or down. As someone else said earlier, I think it limits our dogs. I want my dogs to be investigative, so when I present new challenges they are eager to try them. Even with rewards based training, training can be stressful and a dog can shut down if they get frustrated, I would never add corrections to the equation in that situation, even rather benign ones. I will encourage (as I do with my human students) that it is ok to make mistakes, and encourage to keep improving, stepping up the challenge, at a level they can process and "digest". I am constantly trying to look for different ways to communicate with the critters. Each of the three have such unique personalities, skill sets, and drives, but ALL are still approached with positive rewards based (treat/ NILF/ toys / affection etc... depending on what will motivate under the circumstance) concepts. And if they aren't performing, then they aren't "punished" but there is consequence (game ends, put in time out - or I remove myself, reward not given) In life in general, I try to manage rather than constantly correct - for example, I might separate the three when the puppy is over rowdy/ stimulated and tormenting the others and offer a diversion toy - but even when they do get over the top with each other, I am there so I can redirect by calling them off and changing the game - like a quick two minute run through of sits, downs and paws, taking turns, but together, and then into separate areas with a chewy until I know they are settled and can chill together... Just my two cent ramble wink I am by no means a trainer, but have a bit of experience between "ownership" and fostering quite a variety of characters and breeds. I say, it's always got to bend... to meet the needs and skills of the handler, and the personality of the dog, but should never cause fear, pain, or intimidation...
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Terry, Jan 9 8:03 pm

Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 7:11pm PST 
I thought about that. I am not nearly as handy as I would like to consider myself being party Going to see if I can find those slats. The HD near me did not have them, nor Lowe's... checked a few times... might have to go online and order them. I think I can get away with a small section right now to start, the neighbors dog is limited to only a portion of their yard right now because their lower fence was diestroyed in hurricane sandy. I feel bad. Their two dogs have a tiny little patch of yard they can run, and they never go anywhere or do anything with them... the dogs only entertainment is to run circles in the small space and bark at everything and anything... when it doesn't have the bark collar on (then he barks a little less)
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Stella "Blue", Jan 2 5:46 pm

Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 12:13pm PST 
I have been searching for them high and low, and no hardware stores carry them here, or I keep catching them when they are out party I suppose I could try online, but I hate ordering stuff on line I am just not sure how much I will need. Maybe I will try the stores near work... different town different state, might have better selection of stuff... I don't know if it would solve it totally, but it might be a first start... some one in another forum suggested an redundant fence... I may have to try a combination of those things... Pretty sure no ways around it, this is going to cost me party But it will be worth it in the long run for a little peace for the hounds. (And to hopefully stop seeing and hearing the poor dogs next door getting zapped.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Stella "Blue", Jan 2 5:46 pm

Behavior & Training > Why do dog owners never seem to teach their dogs boundaries and manners?

Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 9:52am PST 
Risa, I have the same issue with the barking at guests. Guests are rare, so they get excited when they do come by. It's obnoxious, but they get past it... I mean, if I know people are coming I prepare and gate them off until the calm down... but if you surprise me, well, it's gonna take a minute and you are going to have to suck it up party But they act differently when I travel with them, because I manage them differently when we travel, and they tend to be much more polite when visiting others...
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Hucky and Ringo, Jan 16 11:26 am

Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 7:19am PST 
So, I have three dogs. I go out in the yard with them for the most part... they are alone maybe 5 minutes if I have to run in and grab or do something. My neighbors on either side let their dogs out unattended for long stretches of time. One fence line has a privacy fence, which helps to some extent, but their dogs do still try to antagonize, and have partially dog under their fence (my chain link runs along the length of his privacy fence, and keeps them from busting all the way through... plus I keep back filling. I have addressed it with him, in the vein that I worry about them catching collars... he is unconcerned... but what I have been doing helps. the other side, however is just chain link. if my dogs are out, (even if they are not - in anticipation that they are) the neighbors dogs will charge the fence and all hell breaks loose. I fetch my dogs, and bring them in, and have worked on it trying to get the dogs to ignore it with temporary and limited success, and while they do call off relatively easily now, it's a real PITA, because we tend to be on the same schedule (out of necessity) for letting out dogs out. I know a visual block would help, but finances are a factor. I can't just slap up a privacy fence... neither of us could even split it. Their solution is slapping on bark shock collars on their dogs. Doesn't really help, and when they don't put it on, well, it's made the situation worse... the Doberman is very aggressive through the fence... very (the little one they have is sweet... just noisy and scared) Anyway, point is, looking for creative solutions for creating a visual shield between the yards. I've done temporary versions (line the fence with garden weed block and tarps) and they helped while they lasted, but this is not a cost effective or aesthetically pleasing option. What, if anything, have you done... I have 2 fear reactive dogs, and their yard should be the one place they feel safe, if nowhere else... and they obviously feel invaded by these other dogs. Thing is, they would ignore them if they didn't charge the fences... things were fine when they just had the little dog... they would do some play barking and running up and down, but for the most part ignored each other.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Stella "Blue", Jan 2 5:46 pm

(Page 1 of 279: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.