Postings by Dodger

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Sports & Agility > Dock jumping- where to practice?
Dodger

labradorable

Barked: Fri May 15, '09 4:08pm PST 
Very cool!!

Here's some other people in your area looking to do dock diving as well!

http://www.dockdogs.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=228 &board=90.0

I'm so excited for you, dock jumping is a blast!!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Washington, May 21 2:27 pm

Sports & Agility > Dock jumping- where to practice?
Dodger

labradorable

Barked: Thu May 14, '09 5:52am PST 
Hey Washington! Looks like boat launches have already been suggested, those are typically my favorite since there are less dog distractions around (vs the dog park) smile You might want to contact your closest DockDogs club too, they ALWAYS know the best practice spots!! And who knows, there might be a member near you that has their own practice dog and pool! Plus they are a great resource for technique tips and jumping pointers!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Washington, May 21 2:27 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > TDI vs. Delta Society vs. TDInc.

Dodger

labradorable

Barked: Thu Apr 23, '09 3:51pm PST 
Hi there Mia Bella!

Dodger and I are registered with Delta Society as a team, and so far I have been very impressed with the organization! Overall I'd say it didn't cost too much money. I don't remember the exact amount, but I'm in college, so if it WERE a crazy high amount I would have remembered. The test includes a written portion for you and a skills portion for you and your dog. The skills include most of the CGC ones, as well as some extra. I believe there are 20 total. The website might have more details on each portion of the test.

Also, Delta has more of a sliding scale when it comes to registering. Lets say, for example, your dog does not like other dogs. For other organizations this might result in a fail, however with Delta you'd be restricted to visit along, not in a group (this falls under your qualification area). I assume that if you fail to meet that restriction and something happens, you would not be covered by the $1 million primary liability insurance. In the case of Dodger and I, he MUST wear a harness at all times when visiting (his only restriction), because we took the test in that harness. If he doesn't have it on, we cannot say we are visiting as a Delta team. Make sense?

We are also part of a local therapy animal club and because we are members of Delta, we can use both the club's name and Delta's name when we visit places. I believe it is TDI that does not allow you to join any other visiting club, etc (double check that though, it might be TDInc, or even both, I am not sure).

Also, Delta requires a retest every two years. Your qualifications/restrictions can change at that time. I plan to use just a normal collar and leash when our test comes around again so that we no longer have that harness restrictions.

Hope some of that was helpful! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Molly Moo, Jan 20 4:13 pm

Sports & Agility > my dog has to much energy

Dodger

labradorable

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 8:28am PST 
If you like water dock jumping is a GREAT way to exhaust a lot of energy, and you don't need years of training to try it! You can literally come out to an event, get on the dock and jump!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Apr 16 5:13 pm

Labrador Retriever > Paranoid Puppy Mommy, Please Help

Dodger

labradorable

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 8:25am PST 
Hey Scarlett! Are you sure it was cat feces? From what I understand, cats cannot transfer the parvovirus via feces to dogs, BUT if, by chance, it was another dog's feces then the chance of parvo is there. I know the virus can survive in feces and soil for up to a year (even in really hot or cold temperature). You can always call and talk to your vet if you are unsure smile

Another thing to note is that cat (and dog) feces can spread things like giardia, coccidia, roundworms and whipworms if Scarlett eats infected feces. I know she is only 3 months old, but it might be a good idea to teach a firm "leave it" command and stay outside with her at all times until she learns not to eat it. As for the stray cats... it can be very hard to keep them out of your yard, that's understandable. My roommate's dog does yard patrol (literally) and keeps ours cat free by barking at them lol, although he is a total ham with our (indoor) cat. You can also buy all kinds of crazy contraptions to keep your yard cat free, most look like sprinklers (google will pull up tons of stuff). And there's always the good old "sitting on the deck with a hose" approach.

Does your city have leash laws for cats? Some do, mine doesn't. So cats can roam where ever they want here and it's not illegal. But it's worth checking into for your pup's sake, giardia is NO fun (plus you can get it too!). If there are leash laws and you know the owners of some of the roaming cats, I'd have a polite chat with them about the cats defecating in your yard.

I hope everything works out!! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dodger, Apr 15 8:25 am

Labrador Retriever > Dog Food recommendation
Dodger

labradorable

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 10:29pm PST 
Oh also, if you are looking to hunt with Daisy or do field trials, agility, dock jumping, etc etc Blue makes a great food for active dogs, which is what I feed. It's called Wilderness and it's high protein/low carb and I'm pretty sure it's grain free (there might be a little oatmeal in there?). However, it's for adult dogs, so it would be more appropriate for her once she is a year old. Just something to keep in mind smile
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by Ruby, Jan 14 7:47 pm

Labrador Retriever > Dog Food recommendation

Dodger

labradorable

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 10:25pm PST 
Hi Daisy!

I feed Blue Buffalo too! In the long run, I think the pricing evens out more. For example, I was feeding 5 cups a day before and when I switched to Blue we cut back to 3 cups (during winter it's closer to 2.5 cups) a day! So a 30lb bag lasts a lot longer. You can also check out the Petsmart/Petco you buy it at for specials (sometimes they do $5 off with your petperks card and things like that). While you pay more upfront, just remember you aren't buying it as often as you would with something else!

Plus, Blue is such a fantastic food! What better way to avoid unnecessary vet visits (and save $$) than by keeping your pup as healthy as possible! The first step starts with a good diet!

I could go on and on about how awesome Blue is, but I'll spare you big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by Ruby, Jan 14 7:47 pm

Labrador Retriever > Mismarked Labs...

Dodger

labradorable

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 6:38pm PST 
I'm a mismark!! but just barely.. you have to look very close to see my tan points, usually they are only visible in the sun.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Juniper CGC , Oct 25 6:41 pm

Sports & Agility > Dock Dogs? Anypup?

Dodger

labradorable

Barked: Mon Feb 23, '09 6:59pm PST 
Hey Abby - Hope you had fun at the Expo!! Dodge decided not to jump, who knows why. He is a silly boy!! So I was jumping Murphy the Golden instead! He gets some wicked air!!! Did you see us?? Good luck at the Expo in March!!

Nallah! - So glad to hear you had fun!!! I think I already said that on the DDNS forums, but I'll say it again big grin Dodge jumped a good 2 feet our first time (well technically he didn't jump at all the first event, it was the second one we went to that he finally jumped in the pool!). The Northern Stars do an event every year that is into a lake, that's where you'll see the HUGE jumps outta pups, it's a lot of fun! Will we see you guys in Ely?? That was my favorite event last summer.

Sammy - I weigh 72lbs! I'm like a brick house BOL!! I typically only jump in the 6-9ft range, but every now and then I decide I want to fly and I'll go over 10ft! I only use half dock too big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Otis, Aug 16 7:46 pm

Sports & Agility > Dock Dogs? Anypup?
Dodger

labradorable

Barked: Mon Feb 23, '09 2:01pm PST 
Hey Natcho! DockDogs competitions are open to ANY dog that is over 6 months old (and not in heat) big grin No need to be a professional!! Although we ARE professionals at having fun... way to go

Also, if anyone has questions about the Minnesota club (Northern Stars) or if you have questions on how to locate a club in your area, please feel free to send me a message on here! We love adding new people to the dockdogs family!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Otis, Aug 16 7:46 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.