GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Behavior & Training > How do I get 2 dogs to sleep in the same dog kennel
Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Thu May 1, '14 6:28am PST 
Get another crate for the second dog! If the Dobie doesn't want to be in a confined space with the Shar Pei then respect her wishes and don't force it. If you did make it happen against her wishes then it could push the Dobie to behavior that wouldn't be pleasant for the Shar Pei. Please don't force it!!!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 1 3:43 pm

Behavior & Training > HELP Behavior Change in 2 year old ChowChow
Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Sat Feb 1, '14 11:16am PST 
Great advice from Ember and Toto!

Keep us updated on your Chow Chow smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 1 11:16 am

Behavior & Training > Socialization for grown dogs....

Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 11:28am PST 
fearfuldogs.com

smile good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 3 6:34 am

Behavior & Training > The Trainer Search...

Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 11:02am PST 
Crash, I agree with Shayne- email one more time OR make a phone call pointing out that you're email has gone unresponded. If you don't get anything by this time then I'd look elsewhere. coming from another trainer, I do my best to respond within 24-72 hrs. Phone calls get responded to fastest for me.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 15 11:02 am

Behavior & Training > Training

Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 8:42am PST 
I apologize for the book, but this I am passionate about! smile
When adopting a puppy you'll need todo your research on the breed you are interested in. One of the coolest things about string a puppy is that you can help mold them to be the confident friendly adult you are hoping for! BUT, genetics do play a role in these things as well as their personality and background. I you were to pick a puppy tht was trembling in the corner rather than the more curious and social puppy then you may not get what you are describing. Plus, PROPER socialization is crucccciallll!!!! If thrown into the mix too soon or not soon enough then you may not achieve the desired goal either. Work with a trainer and take them to a puppy class! Don't stop w puppy class, keep training and keep socializing- socializing should never stop.
You mentioned you are taking your chi's to a training class soon, talk to your trainer. They should be able to help further in leaning you to the right type of pup/personality.
For your current dogs, don't set yourself up for failure by saying they'll never be stellar! Every dog is different and these two just happen to come along with baggage. Working with a behaviorist in home and wherever they have problems could help them come around a little better. You can't change WHO they are so accepting them is really important in succeeding with training an being happy with who they are, but I wouldn't settle with bad behavior either. Learn your dogs quirks and work around it while you're training a new response and teaching them that those scary things actually aren't scary, at least from a distance and hen work up to getting closer!
I've had to do this with my dogs as well. It's a humbling experience to put yourself in their shoes (paws) and look at things from their perspective.
My favorite quote ever:: Train the dog in front of you, not the one you wish you had. - unknown
This quote has helped me in ways that I never imagined.

Check out Patricia McConnell, Jean Donaldson, Ali Brown's scaredydog.com, Jane Killion's 'When Pigs Fly'.

And by the way, yes clicker training is an amazing way to train, especially for dogs who need a confidence boost. Do lots of games, mini agility can do wonders for building confidence as well as shaping sessions and practicing those new games in new environments!
Good luck! Keep us posted smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 6 12:33 am

Behavior & Training > Shy & Fearful King Charles
Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 5:57pm PST 
Awww, poor guy! I have a soft spot for scaredy dogs!

Check out: http://www.scaredydog.info/
There's too much to write!!

I'd suggest working with a force free trainer Or behaviorist.
IAABC.org or apdt.com

Keep us updated smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 1 5:57 pm

Behavior & Training > Clever Puppy Help

Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 12:25pm PST 
Puppies catch on quick! It's a new game and its double the fun for her. Praise her for doing good things BEFORE she gets to the point of doing something bad- you nailed it, she wants more attention. Give her a kong wobbler if you don't have time to play tug, hide and seek, nosework for kibbles, or practice obedience to make her use that nifty brain. Depending on how far along she is with training, I'd prob stop using treats EVERY time and rotate to once every couple days and give playtimes as the reward now! Also, tell her good girl for leaving it, ask her to practice a lay stay in a diff spot and THEN give the reward of play or treat- do not give her a big reward immediately after the leave it WHEN she is trying to get you to pay attention to her smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 2 11:33 am

Behavior & Training > Training a Sensative Dog

Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 5:03am PST 
Yes, marker word would work out smile. Any success so far?

As for trick training, check out domorewithyourdog.com !! We plan to do titling soon laugh out loud)
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 26 5:45 pm

Behavior & Training > alpha dog?

Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 4:57am PST 
Throw the alpha dog theory out the window! There's new research showing that it's unrealistic. Dogs relationships are fluid- such as one dog controls access to toys while the other gets to be first to greet you at the door or controls access to water, etc.

http://doglifetraining.com/2011/01/dominance-and-the-wolf/

There's an actual wolf page that I can't find at the moment that goes further into it.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 21 7:51 pm

Behavior & Training > When Pigs Fly
Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 8:12pm PST 
I have not been to any of her seminars but would LOVE to go. What's the location?
I am an absolute fan of her book When Pigs Fly and recommend it to almost everyone.
Let us know how it goes!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 21 5:20 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.