Postings by Dora

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Behavior & Training > I need desperate potty training help
Dora

Can I chew that?

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '08 1:14pm PST 
We got our puppy when she was maybe 5 months old (we aren't sure how old she actually was, that was the vet's estimate). She is now 15 months old; potty training has been a terrible (ie: unsuccessful) experience. We have followed all of the rules, believe me. We praise her when she goes outside, we let her out after drinking water, we let her out frankly 100 times a day. We let her out before bed, we let her out first thing in the morning. I come home at lunch still for crying out loud to let her out, and even then sometimes she's had an accident. She will sometimes whine at the door, or stand at the door to go out and we praise her to high heaven. But basically I don't feel comfortable relaxing and just doing my thing in the house for a moment.

She still has to go out once in the middle of the night. She can sometimes hold it for up to 5 hours, but sometimes she can't (or won't?) hold it for two hours while we run to the heathclub or to eat. She is confined to the upstairs bedroom and hallway while we are out. But inevitably she will pee somewhere.

For a while she was doing well without accidents. Now, it seems like she has an accident every single day. There is no rhyme nor reason to it; if she has to go, she simply goes. If we catch her, we will scold her and put her outside, then praise if she goes. She gets two long (2 mile) walks a day.

I have to be honest, I have been an animal lover my whole life but I am at the end of my rope and seriously considering re-adopting her. I cannot live the rest of my life watching and listening for her every minute of the day, and I have to work, as does my husband.

Crate training does not work for this dog, please just believe me on this and don't try to talk me into trying that again.

1. Is it normal for a 15 month dog to still not be able to hold her pee for more than an average of 4 hours?

2. Is there any advice at all you can give me? I am near tears.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by ♥ -Chelsea, Mar 26 5:52 pm

Behavior & Training > at the end of my patience rope...
Dora

Can I chew that?

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '07 6:43pm PST 
I just wanted to sympathize with you and let you know that I feel your pain. I could have written your post myself; we have a 13 month old who is right now testing the very limits of my patience. My husband doesn't really see any of it, he just comes home and plays with Dora. I'm just hoping that eventually, she grows out of this stage and becomes less of a brat! But right now, there is no other way to describe her than that-- a pure brat. (But we still love her).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Benito - ADOPTED!, Dec 28 6:43 am

Behavior & Training > Nibbling on other dog's ears....

Dora

Can I chew that?

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '07 6:22pm PST 
I'm so glad to hear that someone else's Coonhound does this too! Dora loves to nibble on ears: both her brother Dade's, and also my husband and mine. In the morning she will jump on the bed and search out my husband's ears no matter how he tries to hide under the covers. We just see it as a playing/affection thing, and when we are all playing together, I actually bite her ears back a little. My husband read that ear-nibbling is what puppies do to their litter-mates as playing/affection.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dora, Dec 27 6:22 pm

Puppy Place > 13 months old, and out of the blue is terrified of her kennel

Dora

Can I chew that?

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '07 9:29am PST 
Thanks, all. I was hoping that over the weekend (we had to kennel them at doggy daycare for the weekend), maybe she would forget about her new kennel fear. (The place they stay at overnight keeps them in more of a room with a door, it's not a normal kennel.)

But no, this morning I took them for a nice walk/run, got dressed and ready for work, and then tried to put on my best "calm and assertive" mojo. Same thing-- she absolutely wouldn't do it. I finally just left her in the bedroom and my husband had to come home and kennel her up. He said she didn't want to but I guess he's the boss so she eventually listens to him.

Although I agree that I feel like she's getting ready to not be kenneled, she still does chew on things so I'm not comfortable leaving her free reign of the house. But more importantly, I'm concerned that she will learn she can be a stubborn dog and then get what she wants. Secondly, I'm concerned that she doesn't see me as someone she has to obey.

I'm thinking maybe we have to take a step back instead of foward, and kennel her up at night instead of letting her sleep on the bed. I feel like she needs a reminder that we are the top dogs and she's not.

This is causing me so much stress-- I'm taking it really personally and actually was crying on the way to work b/c it's like she suddenly doesn't like me and I feel so bad. I know that's dumb and nto productive thinking. But I can't help it. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dora, Dec 17 9:29 am

Puppy Place > Adolescence, Oh my!

Dora

Can I chew that?

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '07 3:00pm PST 
I meant to add, Kaya is such a beautiful puppy! I love her ears!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kaya, Dec 13 7:07 am

Puppy Place > Adolescence, Oh my!
Dora

Can I chew that?

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '07 2:53pm PST 
I can definitely sympathize also! Dora tests my boundaries daily and sometimes it just seems overwhelming.She is a bossy puppy who wants to be in charge and get her own way too.

With snapping, which she only does to me when I try to pull her collar to get her to do soemthing, I have learned to growl her down like I see our older dog do to her. That seems to help. But it sounds like training would be a good idea right away, as the snapping is a bad habit that should be broken right away.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kaya, Dec 13 7:07 am

Puppy Place > 13 months old, and out of the blue is terrified of her kennel

Dora

Can I chew that?

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '07 2:49pm PST 
What gives? Of all the challenges Dora has presented to us (and there have been plenty), she has always been so good about her kennel. She even got to the point where she would go into her kennel on her own sometimes when we said "Kennel up." She has never LOVED going in, but she will go in just fine.

Yesterday and today, suddenly, she acts as if it's the end of the world and there is a monster inside her kennel that she is afraid of. Yesterday I got her in finally with a treat, but today turned into a big drama. I tried being coaxing, I tried being firm, I tried treats, I even climbed into the kennel myself. She was so frantic to get as far away as possilbe that she slipped out of her collar even. And then to top it off, she bit me when I tried to reach for her.

What on earth could have happened?? She is in her kennel for 4 hours tops during the day; I come home and let her out for some play time at noon, then she goes back in until I get home. She's never had a problem with this routine before. What is going on in her head? Please help!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Dora, Dec 17 9:29 am

Puppy Place > When does the chewing and tearing STOP??

Dora

Can I chew that?

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '07 7:59am PST 
Thanks for the stories and ideas, all. I do know that my sporting breeds need tons of exercise, and they get two walks and usually one run, plus playtime with the neighbor dogs daily. I also take them to all-day day care once a week so she really gets worn out. I do know it's a lack of activity that leads to naughty behavior, so I try to keep her active. Some days it's hard though with our schedules. I'm sure that's part of it.

I am grateful that she doesn' t destroy electronics like some of you are saying.. it's mostly her desire to rip paper of any kind. I did find one toy that really helped keep her chewing attention-- it was a fake rolled up newpaper that had something crinkly inside and man did she love that. Unfortunately, she finally got the crinkly part out of it and immediately lost interest, so I guess we need to buy a box of those toys!

Her favorite toys are 1) empty water bottles, and 2) empty kleenex boxes!
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by pippin BROWN, Dec 4 9:02 am

Puppy Place > When does the chewing and tearing STOP??

Dora

Can I chew that?

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '07 11:35am PST 
So when would full adulthood be--- 2 years, do you think? I swore I was not buying another dog bed until she grows out of this stage. She will find a way to pull the stuffing out of even the most durable dog bed!

I just really don't want to spend the rest of my life putting all of my shoes and garbage cans on tables! Her older brother did eventually grow out of it, so I'll hold out hope that she will too!
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by pippin BROWN, Dec 4 9:02 am

Puppy Place > how are you going to spend the winter?
Dora

Can I chew that?

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '07 11:31am PST 
This is Dora's first winter too, and judging from now much she has loved jumping into piles of leaves, I think she is going to love playing in the snow too. But she is a little girl and I'm worried about the cold for her, so we got her a jacket to wear for when it gets near zero, and we always monitor how long the pups stay outside when it's very cold. They don't seem to know when they are too cold for their own good.

Otherwise, it's business as usual, with a lot more layers for us humans. Two walks a day, and maybe an extra day-care day here and there if it's too bitterly cold out.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 6:26 pm

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.