Postings by Bonnie Lass -in loving memory-

GO!

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Almost time! I'd love some suggestions!
Bonnie Lass- -in loving- memory-

This is soft,- I'm sure I'll- fit on it!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 3:38pm PST 
Is there much of a difference between makes and females as far as temperament goes?
I am fairly social and like having people over as well as going out places, and having my dog with me as often as possible (when it comes to fosters, this has varied greatly). I love protection breeds, my biggest thing is making sure that the dog is able to trust my judgement completely. I am a pretty confident person so I don't think I would be sending fear/ discomfort signals hardly, and I would want a dog to trust me there. I know they are naturally mistrustful of strangers, but my key concern/ goal is that if I say it's ok, the dog can settle and accept it. I don't need instantly lovey to everyone at all, I'm used to a dog who isn't interested in strangers.
I also wonder, while I'm not a major vacationer and can take a dog with me most places I do go, what about dog sitting or boarding? Would this be doable with a Briard? A friend saying at my house or the dog staying with friends that it knows?
Would a friend coming in my house without me (a friend the dog knows even) be a no no?

The Beardie is more happy go lucky with other people, correct?

Ok and I am just interested in the BRT. I have talked to a lot of people in breed and gone to check them out at shows. Mostly what I understand is that breeder selection is HUGE with the BRT. I've talked to people who have or have known rock solid BRTs. Demonstration dogs in training, very tolerant of other dogs etc. I've also heard of quite awful BRTs that are way too set to attack.
Not thinking it will be my next dog, but I do love them and always like learning more!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bonnie Lass -in loving memory-, Jan 28 3:38 pm

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 2:19pm PST 
I've thought about the GSP before. If I were a hunter, I think they would be a top choice for me. I have a friend with a pair of GSP/ weim siblings that I really like! When you mentioned the Airedale I had a chuckle because when you mentioned the larger terriers that is exactly where my mind went! My cousins have a terror of an Airedale!

I like the PONS as an idea but I am not sure I like the PONS itself. I would really need to do more research and pictures of a puppy cut haha. I love the look of the OES with a puppy cut! I'll dig deeper into the PONS when I get a chance.
I did start to look into the Briard and really liked what I saw so far. It looks like a really great potential fit. The Beardie sounds pretty great too as the OES was a dog I liked.

That was an awesome looking pittie! I will most certainly have a few shelter pitts and its great to see such highly skilled pitties. I think their goofy personality and the many with almost zero training makes it hard for me to picture a majorly training focused pit
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bonnie Lass -in loving memory-, Jan 28 3:38 pm

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 11:26am PST 
Bunny, you are right on the collie wink

Watson, I don't know how much the terrier personality is my thing. I wouldn't discredit a dog because it is a terrier but the Westie I love because of my experience and the bully terriers just seem like a different class to me.
I love the pittie personality and charm. They are so sweet and such goobers and I love it. I'm sure I will adopt at least one in my lifetime, but while renting I'm hesitant. The other area where the pit falls a bit short is my training desires. Not saying you can't have a stellar trained pit, I just can't quite wrap my head around one as into (almost competitive yet not if that makes sense) training.

GSD or a mix Is very much on my wish list (which I find funny because there was a time I very much not attracted to them) but I have had at least some encounters with breed restrictions including shepherds. I'm not going to let breed restrictions rule out a dog for me because they can be avoided, but they do come into consideration.
I'm also quite set on the idea of rescuing some of my dogs, such as a shepherd or pit, and going the breeder route with others. This is partially because some breeds I like are hard to find in shelters and partially because I have a more specific idea that I would like to work with a breeder/ have a mentor and work from puppyhood.

Tiller: "Or, you can take on a challenge.....Briard, I can see that. That or a Polish Lowland....exciting dog for you, as they are brilliant and very athletic, but tricky. What about a Bearded Collie? They are a trip and you don't see them a ton....I could see that."
These three caught my attention the most! How do the bearded collie and polish lowland vary from the OES? I don't know that I've ever met a briard and know little about them.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bonnie Lass -in loving memory-, Jan 28 3:38 pm

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 9:16am PST 
Bunny- its the look red face

I tend to be drawn to more unique dogs. The lab, the golden etc are awesome dogs and I know and love many, yet they're so... Common. That in no way would make them less of a good fit, but it makes it less interesting and exciting for me.

I had thought I would go with a rescue pittie/ pit mix or a German shepherd/ shepherd mix from rescue but most of the places I've talked to about living have restrictions on both confused That doesn't mean it isn't still a route I would go, but it made me think I should look into some other options.

Tiller- I know my specifications don't really narrow down the field much, which is where I am running into problems! I have fostered a wide variety of dog types and most of the traits and issues, rather than deciding oh this is something I couldn't live with, I come up with, oh I could adjust some things in my life to that. I have fallen for dogs of totally different types.
I will try and lay out more ideals and see what comes up!

I don't exactly mind Velcro but I like when I work in the kitchen the dog lays down just outside of it, picks a spot and stays there (rather than hanging around my feet every step) or that checks in the kitchen and goes as lies elsewhere.

I like petting and cuddling a dog, but I don't like constant neeeeeeeeeeed for attention. The Westie was sometimes a bit too aloof for me in that they are pretty "on their own terms." Yet, I'm considering another so it didn't get to me too much

Some day in its life, it is likely to be around some livestock and I would like if it didn't go crazy (but I figure it wouldn't be as likely or as much as an issue the first few years I owned it so training is key and a poor livestock dog wouldn't get eliminated from my list)

I like lots of energy, but the ability to chill in the house. But I'm not thinking getting enough exercise will be a huge issue as I plan on a run in the morning, hiring a dog walker for the afternoon (if the dog needs the extra exercise/ to break up the day while I'm at work), and either another walk, off leash time or some type of training class in the evening.

I kind of like a dog that will test its boundaries. It's not simple to train, but it's amazing when trained without blindly following. I like the idea of a dog trusting and following me because it chooses to, not just because it is bred into them. I've loved working with dogs that will look at me as they start to do something new as of to check my reaction, yet not waiting for approval. I don't mind the blatant disregard of my commands sometimes in training. Yes, it drives me absolutely crazy. But I also like the resolution there. I want to get to a point of rock solid training with great off leash reliability and recall and the ability to ignore other animals for me, but I'm willing to work hard for it and am not scared of a dog that will challenge me a bit in getting there.

Part of my problem is that I don't want to eliminate possibly great dogs because of being too picky, and I'm running into the issue of not being picky enough!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Bonnie Lass -in loving memory-, Jan 28 3:38 pm

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 9:05pm PST 
Oh I tend to prefer bigger dogs! Terriers aren't exactly my typical preference but I was so in love with Bonnie that another Westie is tempting.
I've considered the Spoodle but it isn't exactly my type. Yet such awesome dogs!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Bonnie Lass -in loving memory-, Jan 28 3:38 pm

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 5:33pm PST 
I am about ready to get a pup and would love some advice. I am working on moving now and plan to adopt when I do. I have talked to a couple of breeders and know which breeder I would go with if I go the Westie route. But other than that I not sure. I am open to rescue and breeder depending on the breed I go with. There are a lot of things I want in a dog but not everything I want is mandatory. I'm fairly flexible!

I would love a dog that can handle snow and rain and likes water. I plan on taking my dog running, hiking and plenty of off leash time. I like getting together with friends with dogs so playful is a plus. Regular training classes and at home training will be a constant. If we aren't in an obedience class, I enjoy nose work, agility and other dog sports but not necessarily competitively just depending on the dog. I enjoy camping and backpacking and would love to have a dog who can come along. Training is important to me and I do appreciate a biddable dog, but I also like independence and a dog with a mind of its own.
I have no problem with high energy and would hire a mid day dog walker if the dog needs the extra time out while I'm at work. I don't love the border collie, Australian shepherd type typically. I don't know why, because they would fit well in some ways, but just not quite my type.

I have some breeds/ breed mixes that I am pretty certain I will own, but I'd love to hear what people think and see if any of my picks are mentioned. I am looking at an apartment with some breed restrictions that I may not do because of the restrictions, but I could not get either dog I thought I might because of it. Any suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Bonnie Lass -in loving memory-, Jan 28 3:38 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Loving a breeder, but not necessarily their breed?

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:42pm PST 
Who is this westie breeder you speak of? laugh out loud

I think I have my breeder all picked out if I got that route again but I'd love to check out any other stand outs!

I'm getting very close to needing to decide on the next breed for me and it's killing me! Such an important decision and I'm having such a tough time with it confused
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Dr. Watson, Jan 27 10:18 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Giant Poodles

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '12 10:00am PST 
laugh out loud So I didn't click on "giant poodles" thinking, "well I know where that one is headed" naughty I couldn't have been more off!!! When I saw how popular it was I had to check it out to see where it went big hug THANK YOU!!! I love my dogster friends and their antics!

Mulder, LOVE what you started! You crack me up!

Lola, I'm so happy to see you posting! Maybe I have been oblivious but I feel like I haven't seen you in far too long!

Dahlia, smile love the poems!

Now to go poddle shopping! dog walk
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Apr 9 12:24 pm

Behavior & Training > I just caught a pigeon!

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 11:18am PST 
Bonnie caught many pigeons in her day! She loved it. She would just run full tilt and catch them before they could get off the ground and out of reach. And she was a small dog! Just super fast and loved to hunt. She also got lizards and rats. I loved her drive to hunt!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Glacier, May 13 1:13 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog Doors

Barked: Thu May 5, '11 11:14am PST 
The e-fence made me think of this. I've heard people's opinions on e-fences and tie outs and whatnot, but what do you think about using dog doors to let your dog in and out if you have a securely fenced yard?
We had them for Bonnie and she loved going in and out as she pleased. We personally never had any issues with it (other than the occasional tracking in of ants) but I'm curious about others opinions.

We also never left her out if we weren't home so she was never totally left to herself outside.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Hucky and Ringo, May 6 8:38 am

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.