Postings by Mazzy

GO!

(Page 1 of 27: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > NSAID Dogster-customer reviews, please
Mazzy

S-S-S-SQUIRREEEL- LLL!!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 2:47pm PST 
I posted this ages ago and must have forgotten I posted it. ugh! lol Anyway, for anyone who responded and may read this I DO really appreciate your responses. I am currently giving Mazzy Deramxx and it seems to work decently well for her withOUT me having to give it daily. Instead I can give it to her like you would take an aspirin for a headache - as needed - and it does the trick. That's how the Zubrin worked too and why I liked it so much (Mazzy is now 7, but still not that old to be giving her NSAIDs every single day and, realistically, waiting for her to have liver or kidney problems due to the drugs. If she were older it'd be another story but...)

As for the Adequin injections, it's not that I'm afraid to give them, it's that my freakishly controlling vet won't ALLOW clients to give them. confused She told me flat out "Adequin injections would def. work well but do you really want to drive here once a month for me to give the shot because that's what you'd have to do." Mazzy's vet is kinda lucky sometimes that she so good at her job because there are a few things (like this with the 'no one gives injections but me' thing) that really rub me the wrong way and I don't think are normally experienced at other vet clinics but I stick with her because when there's a real problem she always works wonders for Maz. It just comes at a price that goes beyond the monetary apparently.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mazzy, Jun 18 2:47 pm

Food & Nutrition > ChampionPetFoods-fail Boo.
Mazzy

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 2:23pm PST 
UPDATE: So, I just went and checked out the website too and the only two 'flavors' I can find that state canola are the fish formulas. I wonder if, when they told me "be aware that we are adding canola to all of our foods" they really meant 'all of our FISH foods' since it was the 6-fish bag I had that I mentioned the surprise formula change on?

Regardless, I will be going back to CPF then, and Maz just won't get the fish formulas anymore. Still a drag because the fish is her favorite, but I guess when I want to give her a treat I'll just throw a can of sardines (in water! lol) on top of her food. smile

Thanks for mentioning the website guys. I DID look at the foods in the store but maybe since I was buying fish that time I only looked at the Orijen and Acana fish formulas and didn't even realize I'd limited myself to those?? Who knows. Just happy I will still have options and can keep feeding Maz her Orijen/Acana rotation - slightly modified. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ginger, Jun 19 9:53 am

Mazzy

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 2:03pm PST 
Bizarre. Every bag here now has switched over to the new formula with canola. I wonder if yours are still the older bags/formulas? If so I'd scarf those bad boys up! lol

And yeah, the FROMM has been fine. It's just ... I dunno... the dog's 'waste' is pretty light colored now and never all that solid, and although she seems to like the FROMM all right, it's easy to tell that she doesn't like it anywhere near as much as she enjoyed the Orijen and Acana foods.

Thanks for letting me know you aren't seeing the change yet. I wonder if that means there's still hope of the pet stores around here getting some of the old formula in again mixed with the new? That would be ->party
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Jun 19 9:53 am

Mazzy

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 7:04pm PST 
I've been feeding Orijen and Acana to Maz for years now. She grew up on IAMS puppy, and then, when I learned a little something about dog food, I switched her to Blue Buffalo and then multiple foods afterward because she started getting terrible ear infections. You name it (if it's a decent brand) we've tried it! The only thing that didn't give her ear infections was the Acana/Orijen foods so I would randomly rotate the 'flavors' for her to get a little variety.

Anyway, one day several years ago (about 6 months after starting the Orijen/Acana rotation) I decided to compare ALL the various brands we'd tried and failed with to the Orijen AND the IAMS that she'd been on as a pup (and never had a single problem, regardless of the low quality) and the only ingredient every single food shared that both Orijen and IAMS did not contain was canola oil. From then on paid close attention and Mazzy hasn't even gotten treats with canola since (I mean the ones I buy; she will occasionally get a random treat from someone that is whatever).

Ironically, after I came to this conclusion about the canola thing, I was putting a new bag of Orijen 6-fish into the dog food container and for the first time I noticed, right on the front of the package, it specifically stated "contains no canola oil". I thought to myself "well, huh. Imagine that. smile Guess they think it's a pretty bad ingredient if they're willing to pay the little bit extra in packing cost just to print/advertise that right on the front of the bag".

Fast forward six years to about a month ago - Mazzy starts shaking her head all the time and low and behold, she's got yeasty ears. frown After all this time. Double-boo. So just out of curiosity I check the ingredients on the bag of 6-fish I have on hand. Canola!! ChampionPetFoods had changed their formula (as they actually do relatively often without any indication - another thumbs down for that!!) to add canola oil.

I decided to email CPF and ask about the canola ("will it only be in the 6-fish?") and also just mention how unhappy I am as a long time customer with their changing of their formula without so much as a 'new formula' notice on their bags when they do it. the reply I got was not a good one. They went on and on about how canola contains Omega's that are easily digestible and 'oh canola is awesome!' blah blah blah. Part of me wanted to respond and mention that if it was so great, why did they previously advertise the opposite right on their bags(!!) but I didn't. They also said ALL of their 'flavors' were going to have canola added. frown

Anyway, so just a rant I guess. Now Orijen and Acana have officially switched over and you can't find any more bags without canola. A crappy ingredient that I"m really sad that CPF decided to go with. I realize it's a Canadian product and they are a Canadian company but man, can't they stick with a good olive or flaxseed oil instead?? frown

So as of today I bought my first bag of FROMM. Not happy about that. I"m sure it's a decent food, but I liked the CPF foods a lot and I'm really sad that I had to give them up because they decided one low quality ingredient wasn't that big of a deal. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Jun 19 9:53 am

Food & Nutrition > Will it hurt my dog to eat low quality foods once in awhile?

Mazzy

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 6:44pm PST 
As far as Beneful 'hurting' your dog, like others have said, I'd agree - no. I mean, regardless of the fact that it's a low-grade food, hundreds of thousands of dogs live long, happy, lives on Beneful and every other second rate food on the market. But it would bother me for the fact that swapping food back and forth, back and forth, can upset the dog's digestive system. For that reason alone I wouldn't want my dog getting food other than what I provide for her.

As for the propylene glycol, I smoke e-cigarettes so basically I smoke propylene glycol. ~shrug~ It's in almost every food we eat as a preservative, it's in many drugs, and candy flavoring is made of it. If you've ever had a shot, you've been injected with propylene glycol. That article tries to equate ethylene glycol with propylene glycol - two different organic compounds. That one might be a little over hyped.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mazzy, Jun 5 6:44 pm

Dog Health > systemic yeast?
Mazzy

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 6:28pm PST 
You said you switched foods and then she got the yeast infection? I see you said it's clearing up, but did you switch back to whatever you were feeding BEFORE the yeast outbreak? And one last question - vets often say dogs are allergic to chicken and grain. It's an 'easy out'. But was she actually tested for this?? Because honestly, for all the massive number of people that say their dog is allergic to a protein it is actually (biologically speaking) HIGHLY unlikely. TOTW has canola oil in it. My dog gets yeast infections when I give her food or even a treat with canola in it. Just fyi; I'd look at more biologically inappropriate ingredients for the dog to likely be allergic to rather than accepting a carnivore being allergic to an animal protein.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Babe, Jun 6 6:46 am

Dog Health > Leg licking

Mazzy

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 3:06am PST 
Is the dog licking at a joint? And how old is it? It could be arthritis/pain that is making him lick, or, as you said, it could just be boredom. If the dog is older I'd take it to the vet and see if the vet thinks arthritis may be an issue. You can get pain meds to manage any discomfort he may have if that's the case.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 13 3:47 pm

Food & Nutrition > Avoderm Recall

Mazzy

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 6:57pm PST 
full recall info here (FDA): http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm319021.htm
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dunkin, Sep 13 4:32 pm

Dog Health > NSAID Dogster-customer reviews, please

Mazzy

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '12 9:54am PST 
Background: Mazzy blew out both ACLs (complete ruptures) at 1.5 years old and had bilateral TPLOs at that time. She is 6 now and we've had random bouts of pain/arthritis since surgery and I've always treated with Zubrin which I now realize was a wonder drug in comparison to what's available now. ~sigh~

So, Mazzy has been on Previcox which doesn't work at all for her and I find completely useless. She has also been given Tramadol recently (Ultram) to go with the Previcox (if it worked I shouldn't need to double up on the drugs!) which I equally find to have zero value for pain relief - both for humans and dogs apparently if my personal experience along with what I am seeing in Mazzy is anything to go by.

So, I'd really like to hear from some Dogsters on NSAIDs/pain relievers that they've had good luck with so that maybe I can try something else with better results. I realize each dog is different and may react differently but I figure it's worth a shot to hear your success stories and then talk with my vet about those options. I will NOT continue Previcox or Tramadol since, as mentioned, I find them both to be absolutely worthless so while I appreciate if your dog is doing well on those, I don't need verification that those work in some dogs as they don't work in mine - full stop.

Thanks for any testimonials you feel like sharing about one of these products helping your own dog. I'd be interested in knowing things like:
did your dog have surgery? when?
Is the pain you are treating for joint related?
have you tried other products too before you found the one that worked well?
how long have you been treating with this drug?
and did it work right away or did it have a long build-up before seeing results?

Thanks so much for any input. I appreciate it and I know Mazzy will appreciate any help she can get at living without constant pain.

PS - Adequin injections are not an option as my vet is an hour away.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Mazzy, Jun 18 2:47 pm

Food & Nutrition > 'Back to Basics' dog food
Mazzy

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 2:35am PST 
Hi guys,

I posted this a few weeks back but then the next day when I came to check responses my post had the "this post is getting a bath" note on it (I have no idea why as I hadn't read any responses and I can't really figure what would instigate "trouble" with a simple 'have you fed?' post but ~shrug~) so no responses could be posted and then the post eventually got buried amongst the fray.

So, I'm gonna ask again - has anyone tried this brand of food?

I got a coupon for it via email and I was thinking about trying it (depending on cost). I feed Orijen now with great success as far as Mazzy's allergy symptoms go - no more ear/skin issues - but it IS costly and when I got the coupon I looked up BtoB and it seems to be very similar to Orijen so I figure, if it's any cheaper, it may be worth looking into. Also honestly they have a 'contest' going on right now where you can win a year's supply of dog food if you try it out so that's another factor in me looking into this brand. smile

Just wondering if others have tried it and what you think of it/how your pup is doing on it?

Thanks!!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mazzy, Mar 15 2:35 am

(Page 1 of 27: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.