Postings by Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011)

GO!

(Page 1 of 222: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > A Paw in the Door?
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 6:00pm PST 
I fed Cookie mostly kibble and some raw when I could spare some. Or when Treader refused something. Cookie would eat almost anything.

They say not to feed raw and kibble at the same meal, and I always followed that. But I've seen at least a couple of people do that with seemingly no problems. So, like feeding dairy products, it may be a know-thy-dog thing.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011), May 17 6:00 pm

What I Love About Dogster > been here 6 years

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 11:38pm PST 
So, a couple of weeks back marked the 6th anniversary of my joining Dogster.
It's weird to think that I was 13 when I joined. I'm nearly 20 now.

I got Treader a few months after joining.
The community on this site has taught me so much that I may not have learned otherwise, from training to nutrition, and it was nice to know people cared when it was time to let Cookie go.

When I was younger, I used to have a blast on these forums. I've moved on to other sites for the most part, but this was the first community site I ever joined. To everyone, thanks for everything. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tiggles (CGC, SILIF) IN LOVING, May 2 3:58 pm

Raw Food Diet > So you are interested in feeding raw ...

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 3:24pm PST 
little angel
[notify]
» There has since been -19901.8 posts. Last posting by Puck, Aug 17 6:25 am

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 11:53am PST 
party
[notify]
» There has since been -19899.8 posts. Last posting by Puck, Aug 17 6:25 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > 'Silence and Excuse Kill More Pits Than Vick'

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 4:06pm PST 
It's true that BadRap does mention that they are prone to dog-aggression, but a point this person made elsewhere is that they sort of downplay it a bit.
The breed clubs for other breeds do seem to emphasize the cons more.

Also, well...decide for yourselves, but here's an article that represents much evidence against the idea that Pit Bull were not bred for human aggression:
clicky
They have one discounting the thing on "nanny dogs", too, looking back into some of the history and all.

I'm still a Pit Bull advocate--in fact, I love meeting those dogs. I still think that the majority of Pit Bulls are not going to end up killing or maiming anybody, and as always it really irks me when people want to ban them.
But I do feel bad for having believed and spread things that appear to have been myths all along.

Fighting against irresponsible breeding and irresponsible ownership, we can at least agree on that point.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Happy, Jul 29 8:40 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > 'Silence and Excuse Kill More Pits Than Vick'

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 10:48pm PST 
article here
(While the article is more or less safe, the site it is on is not. It's mainly a community art site, actually, and often some risque stuff is posted on there. You've been warned.)

Before you go guns a-blazing, this person is not anti-Pit Bull and from what I've gathered they are not in support of a total breed ban.
What they are in support of is responsible ownership, and the regulation of the breeding and owning of Pit Bulls.
They propose that groups like Bad Rap only serve to sugarcoat and only end up making things worse.

They also say that while it is partially true that breeds like GSDs and Rottweilers were once targetted, that the breed clubs for these groups handled things differently. They self-regulated who owned and bred these breeds and were more honest about their temperaments. (Not sure if this is true or not, so I've asked them for a source.)

If you want to know what I think....
As for Pit Bulls being put to sleep so often...well,that's unfortunate. Very unfortunate. I do think, though, that if no suitable homes can be found for them, then euthanasia is the best immediate solution. That's the best that can be done at this time until we can get people to be more responsible.

I also still believe that the "Pit Bull problem", as far as the idea of them being dangerous dogs goes, is rather blown out of proportion. It does happen--and, as we all know, that DOES need to be addressed--but I doubt that the numbers are quite as high as is being claimed. None of their sources gave any actual statistics...just links to sites that talked about/linked to numerous Pit Bull attack stories and an article or two.

BUT, we do need to be honest about them--Pit Bulls aren't hell hounds, but they're not kittens either. They can be inherently animal-aggressive. But I think most of us already know this?

That said...
Please don't kill me--I don't necessarily agree with everything the author of the article is saying, but I do think there is some truth in what they're saying.

Perhaps with the way we go about protesting BSL, we ARE making things worse. Perhaps without intending to, we ARE giving the general public the wrong idea about Pit Bull temperament--it's not what the media would claim it is, but it's not all sparkles and rainbows, either. Perhaps we ARE too reactionary to stories like Lennox's* so that we don't really think it through.
We do need to be honest. We do need to do more than simply oppose breed banning. We do need to acknowledge that Pit Bulls are not for everyone.

What say you?

*(Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying I agree with Ireland's breed ban. I don't. But, they did have a valid point--Lennox's owners should not have gotten him if they knew it was against the law, and since we do not know him individually we have to admit that the people who determined Lennox was too aggressive to have a chance may have been correct. I believe that Pit Bulls that are human aggressive should be put down.)
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Happy, Jul 29 8:40 pm

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 6:14pm PST 
BUMP
[notify]
» There has since been -19894.8 posts. Last posting by Puck, Aug 17 6:25 am

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 2:37pm PST 
little angel
[notify]
» There has since been -19890.8 posts. Last posting by Puck, Aug 17 6:25 am

Food & Nutrition > So You Are Confused By Dog Food

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 1:26pm PST 
party
[notify]
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Aug 15 11:18 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Collie vs. Aussie

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 7:08pm PST 
Awesome! Thankssmile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011), Feb 5 7:08 pm

(Page 1 of 222: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.