Postings by Ginger

GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > training a diabetic alert dog

Ginger

Loving a cat/dog- is like being in- heaven

Barked: Fri Nov 21, '08 2:10pm PST 
I recently read that 1 out of every three dogs can recognize hypos in their humans. I don't remember where I read this but I believe it was from a British journal. It did not discuss if they were trained to alert just that they did some sort of behavior indicating a recognition of changed conditions. Even our JRT, who has not been trained as a hypo alert does exert certain behaviors such as she absolutely refused to go near my hubby when he has a hypo. We decided she will not make a good alert because she is small and winter weather is hard for her in Wisconsin and we need a dog that can handle the cold. We just got a Black Lab named Serious that will be added to our family pages as soon as we get pictures of him.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Nov 21 2:10 pm

Jack Russell Terrier > What's the best part of living with a JRT?
Ginger

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 7:59am PST 
My mom loves me so much when I chase the mice away for her! I love looking for them when she is working in the yard! I also love it when she puts my coat and harness on to go for walks!
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by Petie, Aug 10 9:27 pm

Jack Russell Terrier > What kind of food do you eat?

Ginger

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 7:56am PST 
When Ginger was younger we had a hard time finding food that she would eat. She was very finicky but since we changed to Natural Balance which is all natural (It looks like a big sausage and you have to cut it up) she licks her bowl clean and begs for food. It is so funny! Potty time is much easier to clean up also because it is one big pile. We were told before we got her that Jacks can be finiky because they are so excitable but since we switched we have absolutely no problems. In fact, it is a little bit the other way around.
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by Harley Quinn, Oct 13 12:30 pm

Jack Russell Terrier > Tips to Becoming Alpha?

Ginger

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 7:52am PST 
There are a couple of things we do in our house. When we put Ginger's food dish down we do not allow her to eat it. We tell her "no, leave it". She will sit for a bit, sometimes, if she is really excited she may shake because of excitement but she won't get her food until she is laying down and relaxed. Usually I will let her have it if she becomes distracted by other noises when she is laying down waiting. If your dog is pushy when the food arrives stand in front of the food and "own it" until your dog backs away and finally submits by laying down. I have found this was my most successful method of becoming top dog. Now Ginger follows like a little puppy wherever we go. Also, just because your dad gives in does not mean that you can't become top dog. In the wild, the leader of the pack is responsible for providing food for the pack and always eats first and makes the pack wait. This is ingrained in dogs. I hope this helps.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 9 1:57 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Psychiatric Service Dog certification

Ginger

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 7:33am PST 
I hope you don't mind if I join this discussion. I have recently gotten approval from my doctor for a PSD and I have been training my own dog. I am very interested in what everyone is saying and I totally understand and agree about wanting to have all of your ducks in a row. I suffer from PTSD, anxiety, and depression and would like to feel confident that my dog will be able to stay with me in situations when I know I have a difficult time. In the US there is a CGCA and I have been looking into taking this for public access security. I have all of her medical papers in order. Does anyone else have suggestions to help me feel more secure?
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by ~Missy~SD~CGN, Nov 19 8:56 pm

Jack Russell Terrier > What's the best part of living with a JRT?
Ginger

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '07 11:27am PST 
I am always teaching my human new things. She is teaching me to be an emotional therapy dog for her when she goes places and I love going everywhere with her. She has taught me a few tricks and hopes to teach me more so that I can help other people smile as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by Petie, Aug 10 9:27 pm

Jack Russell Terrier > how high can your jrt jump???

Ginger

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '07 11:22am PST 
I can jump about 4 feet high but about 6 feet long. We have never measured but it is about that.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by ~Buster~, May 12 8:47 pm

Behavior & Training > Help! My 2 Jack Russell Terries won\'t stop fighting with each other!

Ginger

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '07 11:18am PST 
Do you see what is happening before it turns into a full blown fight? I have a puppy friend that likes to play ALL the time and we get into mouthing "play" fights also. I know that there is a difference between play and agression but my owner watches the puppy and sets boundaries before she gets too nuts in order to help me. Watch the dogs. If they are walking past each other in a relaxed manner they are fine but if one is eyeing the other as it passes then correct the one that is doing the eyeing and distract this dog until relaxed again. It sounds like these two should not be left alone. If you leave the room they should be kenneled, or at least one of them should to protect them. My mommy makes my puppy friend stay in her kennel when she is too wild and she can come back out when she is relaxed, but only when she is relaxed. She is not allowed to bolt out of the kennel door. I hope this helps. Tell me a little more about what happens before the fights break out. The key is to figure out who is instigating and correct that dog so that the other dog does not have to correct them for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Mar 31 11:18 am

Behavior & Training > how to train your dog to...

Ginger

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '07 10:11am PST 
What about just putting peanut butter on her nose? I love to "rub" mynose with my paws and then clean them.

Your friend Ginger
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by George Sullivan Bailey, Mar 31 10:22 am

Behavior & Training > Training advice needed.
Ginger

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '07 3:07pm PST 
Good job. It also sounds like she is very intelligent. Herding dogs are very protective of their flock/pack so this is definitely something you want to curb. It would be wise to not trust her outside alone either if you have one of those in ground lines for limiting a dog's movements because anything that approaches would be in danger. I have a friend with a herding type dog, but hers is really aggressively anxious to greet, and she can no longer have her dog outside on anything but a leash with a person on the other end because it has lunged and bit now 3 different times. Each time she tried different things to control it but this is what she has resorted to.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 3 11:21 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.