GO!

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

Dog Health > paw pads
"Gunner" Da- Big Boy- Angel

Da Big Boy- Rules, I AM the- Big Boy!

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 8:07pm PST 
Have you thought about using boots? Neopaws custom makes boots that fit great. My Golden, Gunner, wore them whenever it would snow to help him be more secure on his walks, he would even run in them, he loved them.
Not sure what Mushers Secret is made up of but I have heard good things about it, from what I understand should not use it if you have wood floors because it is fairly sticky.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 5 10:04 am

Dog Health > Nightmares or vivid dreams in 11-year old dog

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 7:59pm PST 
Some dogs especially older dogs can have tremors in their sleep, Gunner started having them when he was 10 yrs old. I caught them on my phone camera, took it to work and showed the Vets I work with, we determined that he was having little tremors, sorta like involuntary muscle and nerve movements. We put an acupuncture staples in his ears,(we do this with dogs who are having seizures as this is a meridian for the brain)well, this worked, he slept well after that, no more tremors, no more fussing around in his sleep. He actually seemed happier during the day and had more energy. We think the tremors were interupting his sleep, poor him.
Once the staples would start to work their way out his tremors would start to return, so I would just re-do them. This is very easy on the dog and it certainly has helped many dogs.
I agree with the other poster who suggested getting a tape of your pup sleeping and bring it to your Vet. Try talking to a intregrative vet who can do acupuncture if your vet thinks it may be muscle or nerve movements.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 10 7:59 pm

Senior Dogs > advice sought for adding doggie stept to our bed

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 9:15pm PST 
Hi there, we actually bought our steps from the local farm store, they are steps that are used to be able to get on a horse, they are extremely sturdy, well made but not so pretty. We just put them on the side of the bed that is not seen from the doorway.
We tried a few of the steps that we saw online and at the pet stores but they were not sturdy enough and the dogs would get off of them as they felt unsure of them.
Gunner used them for over 7 yrs every night, he never had a problem on them. We still use them for our dogs and cats. I did put some gripping stuff that you put under rugs to make sure they can grip onto them, I did that more for me than for them.
Hope you find something that works well.dog
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 25 7:19 am

Dog Health > Opinions on MRI.. treatment for back problems

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 9:30pm PST 
Hi there, so sorry your pup is having back problems, so upsetting for you and your dog.
Gunner had back problems when he was 3 yrs old, we could not put our finger on the exact place that was bothering him. I am a Vet Tech so I had 6 Vets and all the bells and whistles at my disposal, after numerous attempts to find the back culprit with xrays we decided that an MRI would be the best way to get to the root of the problem.
We drove 3 hours to one of our Vets friends hospital, he is a neuro vet and specializes in back problems. They do put the pups under general anesthesia (usually iso) with all the monitors, IV fluids and lots of eyes on the dogs, so they are safe, of course blood work should be done prior to anesthesia to make sure your pups kidneys and liver can handle it.
Gunner had a laminectomy at L6-L7 the next day as they found a ruputured disc causing pain and numbness to the area. He came home that night with fluids and injectable pain meds which I did at home (I brought home one of the infusion pumps from work for the fluids) his incision was from the middle of his back all the way to his tail and down his sides, he had a ton of staples. He did fantastic, walked out of the clinic with only a special harness and my help. He recovered quickly and seemed to feel great within a few days, in fact he felt too good and wanted to go on his regular walks which was not going to happen so we had to improvise with lying down games to keep him busy.
So, after all that being said I say go for the MRI or meet with the neuro vet and see how you feel after consulting with him.
I hope our pup heals soon.
Best wishes. Oh, Gunner never had another problem with his back after his surgery area healed, he lived to the wonderful age of 14.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 10 12:31 pm

Dog Health > Huge Scare Today

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 9:12pm PST 
Wow, very scary for you. Just wondering if your beautiful pup has had a complete cardiac workup with a Veterinary Cardiologist, such as a cardiac ultrasound, ekg and chest xrays?
Does she have congestive heart problems causing the fluid build up and your Vet placing her on lasix?
I just can imagine how scared your wife was when she would not wake up, heck, I think I must wake up a few times a night just to check on my pups. When I had Gunner (now an Angel) and he was a senior I would even check his breathing in the middle of the night. I bet my dogs think I am completely nutz and wish I would just let them snooze uninterupted.
I hope your pup is alright. Oh, she is just so beautiful.dog
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 8:13 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I love you forever, Leo

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 10:16pm PST 
So Very sorry about Leo, it is so very hard to say goodbye and not have our pups to love on, our homes just are not the same, very lonely and way too quiet. Let yourself cry, feel everything, smile at the wonderful memories, know that our dogs are brought into our lives to love us and to let us love them, it is just the best feeling in the world.
In the past 2 years we have lost Gunner, Kayak and Nakita, it has been so rough, so emotional, I still cry, Kayak was only 8 yr old, Nakita was only 10. Gunner, my Big Boy was almost 14. They were a huge part of our lives, they went to work with me daily, Gunner went every day with me for 13 yrs. So, when you say that your house is lonely I completely understand, so there again I say, cry, rant, rave and please let yourself grieve. Find friends who understand your loss, let them hug you and be there for you.
Know that there is a brand new star in the skies tonight for Leo, I am sure he is sporting some beautiful Angel wings and is there with you always.
God bless, if you need someone to talk with please pawmail me. dog
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 20 8:22 am

Dog Health > Does anyone have any experience with Arthritis in the spine?

Barked: Mon May 14, '12 2:13pm PST 
I have to agree with the poster who asked about a herniated disc, sure sounds like it. An xray will not usually show a herniated disc, CT or MRI will pin point exactly what is going on.
Gunner had a herinated disc at L6-L7, had partial use of his rear right leg after chasing a ball and turning too sharp, sure enough the CT found the problem. He had surgery (a laminectomy) and was great within 2 weeks. Thank goodness I am Vet Tech and was able to get right in to the neurosurgeon and have the surgery done. Gunner was on dexamethasone right after surgery to help with swelling and injectable pain meds.
Acpuncture worked very well in the years following his surgery, I loved it for him.
The problem with steroids is you cannot give NSAIDS (deramaxx, rimadyl, metacam etc) with it. Tramadol worked well but can have some strange side effects on dogs as it does in humans.
Has your doc suggested using Robaxin, good muscle relaxer but does not do much for disc problems. With disc problems though dogs will tense their muscles as the back hurts so much so the robaxin works to relax those tense muscles. Acupuncture works great in that department too and can help relax the dog mentally also, big plus (IMHO).
I do hope you can find out what is going on and your pup will feel better soon, it really hurts us to see our babies in pain.dog
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , May 29 6:24 pm

Dog Health > Canine Spinal Surgery - I'm just not sure?

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 9:46pm PST 
Hi there, Gunner had a laminectomy at L6-L7 when he was 7 yrs old, it went great, the hardest thing for him was the "restraint time", he hated that part.
I also have had a laminectomy which went surprisingly well, I thought it was going to be so rough, I actually felt much better after the surgery than I did pre-surgery. But at the same time Gunner did better than I did and required less pain meds (they are so much tougher than we are).
When Gunner had his surgery we did acupuncture and rehab post-op which was part of the surgery plan but I continued with acupuncture for years after which helped Gunner not need NASIDS when he got older to help with his age related aches and pains. Love acupunture!!!!
I hope all goes well and he will be an rambunctious pup for many, many years to come.
I am always impressed with so many people who go the extra mile for their wonderful pups, thank you.dog
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 27 9:01 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > RIP Duncan, 1995-2012

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 10:20pm PST 
What a beautifully heartfelt memorial, Duncan is howling from heaven just knowing how much you truly love him. He is blessed to have you for his mom.
I feel the same way when I think of my Big Boy Gunner and Kayak The Mighty Moose Hunter, they both were a wonderful blessings in my life, I think about them every day and say hello to them every night when I see the stars in the sky (and even on cloudy nights).
So, that being said, there is a super, bright new star in heaven tonight, I will say hello to Duncan tonight when I take my fur-kids out for an evening outing.
Bless you and your heart full of memories of Duncan.

little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by , Jan 27 12:07 pm

Dog Health > Painkillers keeping ACL injury from healing?

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 9:55pm PST 
Hi there, Gunner had bilateral TPLO's (1 yr apart from each other which is fairly common) and working for the Vets I have seen quite a few TPLO's as well as several different approaches to ACL tears.
Has your Vet xrayed the leg to make sure that the screws and plates are definately still in place? The reason I ask is because Gunner's top screw backed out at about 2 weeks, this caused quite a bit of pain, once we backed out the screw he healed great. Besides the screws backing out, the plates can shift causing a lot of pain.
Anti-inflammatories such as Deramaxx, Rimadyl or Previcox will help with inflammation and swelling but can hinder healing due to the dog feels better on these drugs (as well as Tramidol) so the dog uses the leg too much, causing more swelling and inflammation, causing more pain, sort of a vicious circle, more drugs, more activity, more pain later.
Is your dog in rehab with a certified Veterinary rehab practicioner?
Normally you can start passive range of motion exercises, very short leash walks, and rehab. Our rehab actually starts at day one after surgery and continues for at least 4 months post op.
Ask your Vet how they feel about rehab, and also a little later seeking rehab with an underwater treadmill, acupuncture and possible laser therapy to help the bones, muscles and tendons heal properly. Laser therapy is amazing and is not in any way aggressive.
The biggest problem we had with Gunner and the TPLO was that he was always a very active and engaged dog, very involved with tracking, hiking swimming and everything a Golden loves to do, so to go from very active to nothing but boredom was extremely frustrating to him and I. This is a common complaint with any ortho surgery, boredom, boredom, boredom.
Hope your wonderful pup is feeling better soon and if he is re-xrayed that all is in place.
dog
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 4 8:43 pm

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.