GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > Behavior changes
Aphrodite

My MIGHTY- APHRODITE!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 7:33pm PST 
I thought duck was a fatty meat?thinking

My mom put us on Performatrin Salmon & Sweet Patatoes dry food to help keep our weight down, and white fish & sweet patatoes canned food.
I wish you the best with your surgery and hope it helps you to feel betterway to go
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Aphrodite, Nov 21 7:33 pm

Dog Health > Behavior changes
Aphrodite

My MIGHTY- APHRODITE!

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 6:37pm PST 
I would say he is feeling vulnerable because of his pain and that's the cause of the growling. A great product which is ALL NATURAL for HD and other Arthritic problems is " NUPRO" which is a glucosamine complex which helps to lubricate the joints and ease inflamation and pain to them. My 14 yr. old brother has been taking it for years and walks a good hour with the rest of us a day. It comes in a tasty liver flavored powder which you add to his food with a little water for a gravy. Also keeping his weight down will help on his joints. Here is the website to find it.

http://www.nuprostore.com/nuprojointsup.htm
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Aphrodite, Nov 21 7:33 pm

Behavior & Training > Depressed

Aphrodite

My MIGHTY- APHRODITE!

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '07 8:16pm PST 
Isn't that incrediblebig grin ! Dogs ARE woMANS best friend bol

I hope your surgery goes well and we will be praying for youway to go
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by George Sullivan Bailey, Mar 31 8:37 pm

Aphrodite

My MIGHTY- APHRODITE!

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '07 5:13pm PST 
I'm sorry...I mean Einred face
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by George Sullivan Bailey, Mar 31 8:37 pm

Aphrodite

My MIGHTY- APHRODITE!

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '07 5:12pm PST 
That could possibly be it. Dogs have a very unbelievable sense of time. Although they can't tell time on a clock they can sense the season or time of year.
It also could be he just doesn't feel good , a tummy ache or something minor the Vet could not test for.
Give it a little more time and see if things get back to normal.
I hope Erin is back to his self again soon. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by George Sullivan Bailey, Mar 31 8:37 pm

Behavior & Training > May I please vent on this one issue?
Aphrodite

My MIGHTY- APHRODITE!

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '07 12:52pm PST 
I agree with you Erin!
Not everyone can do this type of dicipline , especially if they are fearful at all of the dog . You must be calm and assertive and know the dog, to some degree. I'm not saying for anyone to try this with any dog but their own.
I personally think Cesar's way is a God send to dog owners. And more than anything, 99% of the time it works! There are some dogs that unfortunately are too far gone to be rehabilitated, and that is sad.cry
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Apr 18 7:32 am

Aphrodite

My MIGHTY- APHRODITE!

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '07 10:45am PST 
Hi Buddy, Yes Cesar would prefer for a dog to become submissive with just a look however there are times he physically has to put them in the submissive position. The following is Cesars own words from his book "I sometimes have to physically put the dog or dogs on their side. A dominant dog will put up a fight- wouldn't you, if you were used to being boss?-and will struggle against me. In this case I have to hold on firmly until that dog stops resisting. It elicits a primal response in the dog that I am the pack leader."
To me that sounds like he pinned the dog. When I refer to pin the dog , I am doing exactly what I have watched Cesar do, and just described.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Apr 18 7:32 am

Aphrodite

My MIGHTY- APHRODITE!

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '07 9:31am PST 
I agree that this is a forum to voice our different opinions in a respectfull way. And one thing we do ALL have in common is our LOVE for our dogs.
I feel after reading on dog behavior and what Cesar Millan has achived with dogs, especially " RED ZONE AGGRESSIVE " dogs , That to pin the dog down on it's side, ( in a submissive postion) is the way to treat an aggressive dog. This is exactly what a dominant pack leader would do to a pack member for unaceptable behavior.
I have worked for some people that had what they called aggressive dogs. One was a Chihuahua mix, who was a rescue. His owner is a women who was the only one he didn't bite. He ruled the house and every member was scared of Virgil. When she went on vacation Virgil came to stay with my husband and I for a week. The very first thing he did enetering my house was to try and mark it by lifting his leg on my table. When I went to correct him , which I just went to touch his neck and say no , he went to bite me like he did everyone else before, but I quickly with one hand on his neck just pined him on his side. I wasn't hurting him at all. He wasn't use to anyone challenging him so he squirmed and squeeled for a few seconds, then he relaxed and just laid there till I told him OK. From that moment on Virgil was and Angel and followed me all week where ever I went. Even now when I go to his house to visit, Virgil will give me a very warm welcome and will sit and wait for me to invite him on my lap.
Brody is a 100lb. Choc. Lab I also take care of. His owner has had problems with him biting her, especially if she is trying to take something from him he shouldn't have. One day at her house Brody stole a marrow bone off the kitchen counter. I walked up to Brody and stood at his side like another dominate dog would do if they wanted the bone, he moved...I moved this went on for a few mins. than he finally droped it ...than I stood over the bone and made him back away, when I went to pick it up he growled and went to bite me . I grabed him and pined him right away. Since that day Brody has never ever shown me any aggression, but he has bitten several of her friends and her, however he is a different dog with me. I feel and truely believe, it is because he respects me as a leader. Also I was never afraid at any time of either dog and they sensed that. Please understand that decipline is not being mean or abusive. I would never hurt any animal. I will have them respect me as the leader though. And really that is what they want also.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Apr 18 7:32 am

Aphrodite

My MIGHTY- APHRODITE!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 7:39pm PST 
From what I'm reading here , some one must of said something to upset you guys about aggressive dogs. I have 5 dogs ranging from a 5lbs. Chihuahua to a 95lbs. Cane Corso. The only ones that have ever shown signs of possible aggression ( towards other dogs) are my smallest Chihuahua towards her sister the 95lb. Cane Corso, and the Cane Corso has attacted a few dogs at the dog park. Both cases I have pinned them down and made them stay on their side till I told them to get up. This has helped a great deal.
It sounds like your dog sees you as his possession and is protecting what belongs to him. That's why even though your husband was there when you rescued him , that doesn't matter, you are HIS female.
When we rescue dogs that have had a bad past, as humans we try to heal them with love, however this is not the way to heal a dog. When you give them love before exercise and discipline, they see you as to weak to be their pack leader......so they take over as leaders...and that is when you have the behavior problems.
A very good book on understanding dog behavior is " Cesar's Way" by Cesar Millan " The Dog Whisperer" He address the problems you are having and the solutions. I think you will be very pleased and astonished at the change in your dog after following what Cesar recommends. I enjoyed the book very much and it has helped me in my pet sitting bussiness, especially with aggressive dogs.way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by , Apr 18 7:32 am

Behavior & Training > Is mom and dad's room mate hurting me while they're at work?
Aphrodite

My MIGHTY- APHRODITE!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 10:14am PST 
Sorry to hear of this problem and very concerned if in fact your RM is doing something to Buddy. There's a lot of sick people out there!
One way you can also check if RM is going in room with Buddy during the day is to take a very small piece of paper (or even a tooth pick) and place it at the top of the door as you are closing it. Place it right at the corner top, opposite side of hinges. If the door is open the paper should be on the floor .
[notify]
» There has since been 57 posts. Last posting by Jet, Apr 4 7:35 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.