Postings by Zelda

GO!

(Page 1 of 46: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > A mini rant. It's never right to do wrong to do right!
Zelda

I solemnly swear- that I'm up to- no good

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '08 1:53pm PST 
Pretty much exactly what Roscoe said.

If a breeder's puppy doesn't find a home it is in one already.

If a shelter dog doesn't find a home it might be put down. Even if it's not put down (that depends on the shelter) it has to live in a 6'X6' kennel instead of a comfy house.
[notify]
» There has since been 142 posts. Last posting by Omega, Jun 6 7:57 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > NAACP Supports Dogfighting Michael Vick NFL Return
Zelda

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '08 1:36pm PST 
I'm not a racist person in any way, shape or form, so I really hate to say this, but I think it does have to do with race.

The NAACP wouldn't vocally speak out in Vick's support if he were white. If Brett Favre or Jim Kelly (am I dating myself?) did something like this the organization wouldn't support them. If they spoke out, it would be against them. Because it would be the ACTIONS that are deplorable.

I've also noticed that the celebrities who have supported him are black. Whoopi. Jamie Foxx, who actually said "I guess no one gave him the memo on how to be a black celebrity" or something to that effect.

I hate that it is that way. Talk about digging your own grave.

How does this affect the cause of minority rights? If you support someone's horrific actions because of their race, it is damaging to the cause. I would think that you would want to distance yourself from him as much as possible, to prove that he is in fact an EXCEPTION and not a rule.

I personally think that supporting Vick supports the idea of reverse racism/favoritism, and upholds certain stereotypes about African-Americans. Which is ridiculous, because my black friends were just as horrified by Vick as my friends of all other races.

I also don't agree that it's just how they do it in the south. Yes, the south does have a very different attitude about animals - I worked in a shelter in GA and I saw some horrible things. But dogfighting is still a crime and most people find it horrible. And saying that's just how it is is no excuse!

I mean come on, marital rape was "just how it is" years ago when women were property. Genocide is "just how it is" in Darfur. If we want to make a low blow and bring it back to race, lynching was "just how it is" less than a century ago. Does that make any of those things right? Of course not! So why apply it to Vick?

And the fact that people enjoy watching him play is no reason to go light on his punishment. There are plenty of talented athletes that people like to watch who don't kill animals, drive drunk, beat women, or any of the other crimes athletes have committed lately.

And I don't think they represent ALL black people. But they are a major face and should realize that their words are frequently taken as a representation of their race.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zelda, Apr 21 1:36 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Petsmart Bans Bully-Breeds

Zelda

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '08 1:20pm PST 
Weird.

Zelda took her obedience training there and there wasn't any breed discrimination that I recall.

Must be a new policy.

I don't know, I live in NYC now and the only PetSmart is on Staten Island, which requires a car, which I don't have or want.

We usually go to small neighborhood stores, though. Sometimes Petco if the local places are charging a ridiculous amount for Nutro, but not often.

BSL is stupid. Seriously. And I've never even owned a pit or other bully.

Once when I was working in a shelter I was doing a landlord check and was told "no pinschers" for this one apartment. This was before I got Zelda so I didn't think to ask if she was discriminating against Min Pins and Standards as well, or just the ones with the bad rep that are probably smarter than she is. (Though, to be honest, ALL pins are probably smarter than she is - I know Zelly's scary smart sometimes)
[notify]
» There has since been 58 posts. Last posting by Beta, Apr 30 4:39 pm

Dog Health > Just entered first heat ... what are Spay-Abort options?

Zelda

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '08 1:09pm PST 
I find it cruel to expose your dog to heat, cold, rain, disease, wild animals, nasty people, and solitude, which is the case with "outside dogs."

Call me crazy but I prefer to keep my dogs safe and happy.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Apr 28 12:24 am

Dog Health > Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis

Zelda

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '08 1:02pm PST 
Sorry to pick up an old thread, but I searched for HGE.

Zelda is at the vet right now on IV meds and I'm worrying. She started puking this morning and I rushed her to the vet when I saw blood in it.

It's good to see others have been through HGE and come out the other side.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Tsuki, Kit, Kiba & Buckley, Sep 18 12:46 am

Dog Health > Just entered first heat ... what are Spay-Abort options?
Zelda

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '08 12:56pm PST 
I used to work at a shelter, and they did the occasional spay-abort operation. I don't think it's a LOT more dangerous than a regular spay, but I would assume it carries some extra risk. Probably extra cost too, and I don't know if it's like a human abortion where you have to hunt around to find a doctor who isn't a right-wing nut to actually do the procedure.

I am going to echo that you should get your boy neutered ASAP if he isn't already, and keep the girl in heat indoors (as she should be anyway, of course, since making a dog live outside is cruel) and away from other dogs. Even other females, as they get aggressive toward each other when in heat. And then, obviously, get her spayed as soon as the vet says it's safe.

smile
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Apr 28 12:24 am

Grooming > Dyeing Dogs

Zelda

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '08 5:11pm PST 
"Um. Well. Okay.

But Addy acted a bit uncomfortable after getting pinked in Kool-Aid--until she got a bath in her regular shampoo, which didn't remove the color, but did remove the strawberry smell. Dogs don't like flowery or fruity smells, the way we do."

Yeah, we washed Barney several times with shampoo after he'd been juiced, meaning he wouldn't have smelled like tomatoes. Since Bichons are known for being concerned about their appearance (Barney always acts happier after a grooming than when he's dirty), I think he knew he looked different and that's why he acted different.

And as far as safety...unless you've been in that situation when you are 14, home alone at night for one of the first times in your life (and therefore kind of scared), and panicking because there's a wild animal in the yard and your dog reeks, you can't really decide what the best decision is. Tomato juice took the smell away, and 10 years later, he's still here.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 6 2:41 pm

Grooming > Dyeing Dogs

Zelda

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 3:52pm PST 
Manic Panic is human hair dye. It's not meant to get in our eyes or orifices, or be ingested, so it doesn't seem like a safe choice for an animal, since they may not know not to lick it or do something that gets it in their eyes. I don't think you should use anything that doesn't expressly say it's for animals. I think you'd always be safe with Kool-Aid or food coloring, since they are made to be eaten.

I don't think dyeing a dog is hurtful or cruel, but I do think it's ridiculous looking and a little stupid. And I don't believe that dogs don't mind. Barney was pink by accident once (skunk spray, tomato juice, white fur, you know the drill) and he acted like he was embarrassed by it the whole time he was pink.

I also think it perpetuates that idea that a dog is an accessory or a plaything, not a living, breathing, thinking (at least sometimes, lol), feeling animal.

But still, I would much rather see the cruel practices of tail docking and ear cropping, chaining, riding in truck beds, living outside, etc, outlawed first, plus poop pick-up laws enforced, and spay/neuter laws enacted. Those are actually life or death.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Apr 6 2:41 pm

Dog Health > Do you Spay/Neuter at 6 months or 1 yr?

Zelda

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 3:46pm PST 
"Zelda - so you think every single person who has a dog that competes in confirmation is irresponsible?"

I think that the concept that a "show" dog can't be altered is ridiculous and promotes irresponsibility.

Oh, and yeah, I think having my post reported violated the First Amendment. There was no hate speech or invoking of violence, so there's no legitimate reason to censor me. Censoring someone just because you disagree is a violation. Not to mention immature.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Mar 17 5:22 am

Dog Health > Strange Heat Cycle!
Zelda

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 3:35pm PST 
definitely call the vet, and definitely have her spayed as soon as it's healthy to do so.

Breeding to show your kids the "miracle of birth" isn't a good or legitimate (or responsible) reason. You are really showing them how to add to overpopulation and that dogs can just be given away. You are showing them irresponsible ownership. If you want to show them the "miracle of birth" find a video. Or wait until they have sex ed in school (hopefully you are in an area where you actually get sex ed, not just that abstinence-only lie) and they will probably be shown a video in class.

Set a responsible example by having her spayed as soon as your vet gives her the OK.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 16 4:22 pm

(Page 1 of 46: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.