Postings by Mikoa

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > 37 Neglected Sled Dogs Get Second Chance at Life! Click here to read happy ending stories!
Mikoa

Learning to- trust again.

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 6:42am PST 
Check back often as more and more of the 37 neglected sled dogs are processed through rescue, enter their foster homes and are rehabilitated in preparation for adoption. We've already got three completed adoptions and Nova's adoption is currently pending! So just one available dog is on the page right now (though Nova's status won't be changed until his application is approved). I've been in contact with two of the new guardians who have already adopted and they are going to keep sending me updated news and photos throughout the weeks and months as their huskies learn to trust again, shed out and grow in healthier coats, and put on some weight. So this page will constantly be getting updated with more available dogs and happy endings:

The Truth About Dogs Blog - A New Life for Lachute Rescues
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mikoa, Aug 16 6:42 am

Sports & Agility > need opinions and facts please-----is weight pulling abusive?
Mikoa

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 12:27am PST 
Just make sure you don't let competition cause you to push your dog further than you normally would. In sled dog sports (which weight-pulling is), it is often competitiveness that causes people to put their dogs at risk for the sake of placement.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Czarka, CGC UJJ, Aug 16 1:48 pm

Sports & Agility > Bikejoring Breeds?

Mikoa

Barked: Wed Jun 29, '11 12:31am PST 
I would definitely check with your veterinarian to make sure that your dog is physically able. They can perform some range of motion tests on your dog to make sure she won't hurt herself by performing this activity.

You can also check out this YouTube video that a number of folks have recommended for those interested in learning to bikejor: Dog Scootering 101.

There also seems to be quite a good collection of information here: The Worldwide Sport: Dog Scooter.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Dingo, Jul 3 10:15 pm

Behavior & Training > she jumps the fence at the dog park!

Mikoa

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '11 5:24am PST 
I've had it work for a client before. I'm not saying go when it's packed. wave

ETA: Bella, feel free to PM if you'd like to discuss it further. I've helped folks through similar scenarios before.

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead and pull out of this thread. meditate
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mikoa, Jun 26 5:24 am

Behavior & Training > she jumps the fence at the dog park!

Mikoa

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '11 1:52am PST 
You could try taking her to the park on a long-line and correcting her when she goes to jump. Also training a strong, solid recall and a "leave it" command. Repetition will be key with this training.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mikoa, Jun 26 5:24 am

Sports & Agility > What is your favorite sport?
Mikoa

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 1:53am PST 
My favorite sport is humane mushing - who would have guessed? cheer

It is absolutely breathtaking to crest a hill at 6 AM in some north country backwoods with a team of your closest friends and see the sunrise over the trees. Everything is quiet except the pitter-patter of husky feet against crisp snow, the gliding of the runners beneath your feet and the soft panting that creates a small fog trail as you go. I've experienced beauty and serenity behind a team of dogs, all alone in the woods, that is honestly difficult to explain to someone who has never had the opportunity to experience it. It's just amazing. I also enjoy watching mushing, in person or on film. I've got a good eye for movement and always enjoy watching a solid team of dogs work.

The dog whom I'm posting from, Mikoa, is a gorgeous mover. You could balance a glass of wine on her back while she's working in harness and you wouldn't spill a drop.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Delilah, Aug 17 10:20 am

Sports & Agility > Iditarod Musher Abandons Dogs, But Won't Be Charged!

Mikoa

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 4:10am PST 
I sincerely hope that the dogs actually have been rehomed. I have a good friend in Seward who is involved in the humane field who is looking into it for me. Meanwhile, I and many others are still waiting for a real explanation.

And for those of you who claim throughout the thread that it's my goal to end sledding - no, it isn't. I run dogs. I've been a musher for thirteen years. I love this sport and love these dogs. However, I only support humane mushing. If a musher keeps a small number of dogs, has them in the house, has appropriate fenced acreage outside for them to play, provides them with regular veterinary care and treats them like the sentient, individual beings they are - I will support that.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jun 24 11:54 am

Mikoa

Barked: Fri Jun 17, '11 4:18pm PST 
Like-minded people have congregated on the Sled Dog Action Coalition site as well as the ADN article and expressed concern for her dogs and encouraged the state police to charge her. I, along with many others, have even called the state police to voice our concern and urge justice. There is a lot of nonsense surrounding this case. It's once again a sad case of an Iditarod musher receiving undeserved, preferential treatment by the state police.

Whether she ends up having a mental illness or not, there are a lot of people working to get her dogs into rescue - as left to their guardian's own devices, those dogs would have been alone without food or water for 11 days. It's fortunate that people happened to find them, but the guardian deserves no credit for this.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jun 24 11:54 am

Mikoa

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '11 8:40pm PST 
She hasn't ran in the Iditarod since 2007. And she does (or at least did) chain her dogs. I am still trying to figure out how her current dogs are kept. I've inquired to a few different sources. Here's a clip of her chained dogs: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4455520651646143263#

If you read through the numerous articles posted about her and check the comments, the whole scenario is getting increasingly fishy. It's also coming to light that her friends that made the original (now deleted) Facebook group were also soliciting donations and did in fact collect money. Outrage is growing as this money is presently unaccounted for. I, along with many others, smell a scam brewing.

If you'd like to discuss things further and are truly concerned about her dogs, feel free to visit the Sled Dog Action Coalition on Facebook - where the welfare of her dogs is put first, as it should be.

https://www.facebook.com/helpsleddogs

Hopefully these dogs will soon be seized and placed into a rehabilitation program to prepare them for adoption into real homes.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jun 24 11:54 am

Mikoa

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '11 8:34am PST 
If none of her friends had stepped in, and left to her own devices - the dogs would have been there alone for nearly two weeks.

Luckily, people that feel the way you do are in the minority and the large portion of the public (nearly 900 posts to an ADN article) are speaking out for the dogs and insisting on justice.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jun 24 11:54 am

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.