Postings by Buddy

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Food & Nutrition > Taste Of The Wild
Buddy

I'll watch that- shake for ya

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 8:54pm PST 
Our dogs kick their bowls around for TOTW. Our Vet noticed instantly how much better their coat was, and it has peaked his interest, he does not force Purina or SD on people. We use the Pacific Stream formula, I will say I did do a rotation for awhile with the Bison and then Fowl diet....but the Fowl diet, causes a lot of gas for our pitties. It does tend to make their stool hard, I agree with the other poster on that.

To remedy the hard stool. 2 days a week I substitute the bison or fowl canned food for the pack, seems to help and moisture to their diet, and most importantly less gas.

Last note, the feeding recommendation on the back is well a good guide. We recently discovered that one of our dogs lost 4 lbs on this stuff, so she obviously will need way more than whats recommended, and the others need less because its rich, you might have to toy with it for a bit.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Nov 6 8:54 pm

Dog Health > Lick Granulomas
Buddy

Barked: Tue Jul 27, '10 7:27pm PST 
Buddy has a lick granuloma. He's already been through antibiotics which cleared up the infection. Now he's just left with a glossy red bump that grows no hair back. He never did lick it much after treatment, so we never had to E collar him.

I was just curious if anyone else who's dealt with these, what is the best way to heal the skin and get the hair back after the infection is gone?
Wrap it, or maybe us Neosporin or some other steroid cream?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kati, Jul 28 10:44 am

Dog Health > Heartworm

Buddy

Barked: Thu Dec 17, '09 5:26pm PST 
Did the dog get tested recently show negative, and was tested again and popped positive? The odds of false positive test are pretty slim. It can happen, but I would think the vet would do a microfilaria test (look at the blood on a slide) see if adult worms truly are present. You can keep on trucking with heartguard, but the process takes twice as long to rid of the worms if present, it is easier on the health of dog. Usually they recommend it if the adult female worms are very low count or its just eggs that haven't become adults yet. But I would guess that just treating it like it is an infection would be a better bet, thats just an opinion, but would cost more money. If you are questioning the result and treatment you were given, get a second opinion.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Dec 17 5:26 pm

Dog Health > Emergency! please help, dogs eye is bleeding!

Buddy

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 5:04pm PST 
Although he might of just snagged a little skin near and or around the eye, IMO I would be concerned about the cornea of the eye. If that got scratched and it goes un-noticed or untreated for that matter, it can make matters much worse. Eye injuries can snowball into big problems.

You could always call the vet tell them what happened, ask for an estimate on how much the exam would be and a possible eye stain could cost (If he can't tell with the otoscope alone) Eye ointment/antibiotics you could bet on being 20 bucks somewhere in there.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Bella, Dec 15 10:59 am

Food & Nutrition > Food at petsmart?

Buddy

Barked: Fri Dec 11, '09 5:42pm PST 
Would you happen to have a Tractor Supply near you? If so they are 5-7 dollars less expensive (where I live) than the same foods that are being sold at Petsmart or PetCo, such as your Blue Buffalo. Check feed stores too if you have any near you, they are less expensive as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Dec 14 3:56 am

Dog Health > Urinal infection?
Buddy

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 4:18am PST 
I agree with the other posters. You may have a UTI. A visit to vet can fix that. Have you been nuetered?? If you haven't not saying you should or shouldn't, but male dogs who are intact are usually prone to the UTI. Those that are fixed rarely ever get them.

Hope you get better soon. wishes
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Nov 23 4:18 am

Dog Health > Vet taking dog in the back rom for exam

Buddy

Barked: Sat Nov 7, '09 4:55pm PST 
I would get a new vet. Fear usually incites a bite, so why take the the dog from the owner where you would be increasing that risk to the technician or the vet.

The hospital I worked at in the past, it was their policy that we the technicians bring the dog to back to get their temp, nails trim (if requested) and sort of fecal and a weight. For me this was completely redundant and a waste of time. It not only made the appts last longer and the clients disgruntled, it makes the owner wonder about their pets in the back. Only the owner vet would stick by this rule. The other two were more lenient with it, so I would do all that stuff in front of the owner whenever I could get away with it. They always did the shots in front of the owner and the exam. Sometimes I would have to ask the owner if it was ok to muzzle if the dog was a vet biter. Usually if I asked they didn't feel so offended as opposed to taking them in the back and doing it without their knowledge.

I can say that I have never witnessed any sort of kicking or aggressive manhandling in my experiences in the back. The only thing the vet did back there was bad mouth his technicians and his clients, needless to say I no longer work there, as it was a very poorly run business.

Just find a new vet, when you meet for the first time tell them what you didn't like at the last place.
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by Delilah, Nov 19 11:46 am

Dog Health > Canine influenza virus vaccine?

Buddy

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 8:47pm PST 
Canine influenza is a type A flu, a strain particular to dogs. It is a H number N number strain. Literally you would be giving your dog a flu shot. I can see it being useful in a high volume kennel situation where germs can fly. But other than that its not necessary.

Hope that helps
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rafa, Nov 4 11:37 am

Dog Health > Can dogs get a cold?

Buddy

Barked: Sat Oct 3, '09 7:06pm PST 
You bet a dog can catch a cold. It doesn't have to be "kennel cough". Kennel cough is actually a type of bronchitis that can but does not always come from kennels, clinically referred to as tracheabronchitis. It's name and implication is very loosely thrown around.

Dogs can also catch pneumonia too. Bacteria and viruses can be picked up anywhere, when its cold out like you mentioned, your dog's immune system can be compromised. Usually canines are well equipped for various weather conditions, but sometimes it can get the best of them.

Just keep an eye on your pup and if things don't improve in a week your vet can give an antibiotic boost.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Oct 3 7:06 pm

Food & Nutrition > What did you feed your dog before finding dogster?
Buddy

Barked: Fri Oct 2, '09 10:22am PST 
Started out Iams, then switched to Proplan. When I first got Zipper I was right out of college, so money was tight, I bought what I thought was best choice to choose from at Petsmart or Petco. We acquired a pack of dogs and one had food allergy and one has pancreatitis, so after all that I had to research what I could feed the one with pancreatitis. Which is anything I want- just has to have the right ratio of stuff. When they ate that stuff I would make them eggs, chicken, steak things like that to give them extra protein. I knew those foods used more filler than meat product, it was just a cheap product and what I could afford at that time.

Now things are better and I discovered food, actually not through Dogster, PetfoodDirect to be honest, I need no grain for the food allergy, and did my own research (don't like petfoodanalysis comments, do enjoy the ingredient info, only because IMO it's created by "editors" I can't find a single nutritionist on there which bothers me, to me its another opinionated website) and found foods that were putting better protein sources in their food.

Now we use TOTW Pacific Stream and on occasion they get the High Prarie, and everyone is doing excellent. I will say though Dogster is a good source to get direct feedback on how other's dogs react to all the different foods, something a bag will never tell you.
[notify]
» There has since been 59 posts. Last posting by Vander, Oct 17 3:01 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.