GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Dog Health > Looks like Bunny will be going in for his rabies shots ASAP
♥ Princess ♥

Let me sleep for- another five- mintes.

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:24am PST 
Second what M and K said. In PA, you can give any shot except rabies. it has to be, at the very least, given under the supervision of a vet. There may be exemptions for kennels, but they may have gone away with the puppy mill laws.

The law also requires it every 3 years, but many of the vets in my area give a 3 year shot and mark it as a 2 year shot :-(. I make them mark it as a 3 year shot for my dogs.

I am seriously hoping that the Rabies Challenge changes things. Puggy had a reaction to vaccines and I worry every time she has to have one.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bunny, Dec 11 1:56 pm

Sports & Agility > Bulldog agility?
♥ Princess ♥

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 7:13am PST 
You can start TRAINING for agility NOW, just be sure you work with someone who will not introduce certain pieces of equipment until she is physically old enough to do them (like when her growth plates close). There is so much more to agility than jumps and weaves and tunnels.

And BTW, I know a couple of pugs who do agility and do it very well, so if it is appropriate for the dog physically and mentally, go find a class that will introduce the basics (things like focus and send outs and targeting contact zones) and do it!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Sparkles, Feb 18 5:14 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Considering a Pug. opportunity for retired show dog - needs housebreaking and neutering.

♥ Princess ♥

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 2:44pm PST 
I personally can not imagine a pug living in a kennel (although I see it a lot in the mills around here). Pugs are velcro dogs. They were bred to be that way. Talk about not allowing a dog to fulfill it's destiny, a pug who does not have the opportunity to revel in human affection is a sad thing indeed.

Traveling to shows does not mean a dog is well socialized. I know a lot of former show dogs who did just that, then spent their time out of the show ring crated :-(.

And I think the questions the guest posed are good ones.

I know we had no problems house training our pug, but we have owned her since she was a puppy.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 1 2:44 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Considering a Pug. opportunity for retired show dog - needs housebreaking and neutering.

♥ Princess ♥

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 2:56pm PST 
I have had a good number of ex show dogs in class and honestly I was not impressed with their behavioral upbringing. Most are a little nutsy, they can do the show walk, but have no idea how to just walk nicely on a leash in every day situation, they are bad greeters, and so many exhibitors subscribe to the myth that you should not teach a show dog to sit.

IF the dog is well socialized, how is it not housetrained? Does it have any idea HOW to live in a house at all?

It just does not add up to me.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Dec 1 2:44 pm

Behavior & Training > Barking at feet/jumping on me while walking

♥ Princess ♥

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 6:28pm PST 
Oh, my, you are so cute!!! Are you clicker training? It helps make sure you are precisely marking what you want.

once you have a clicker savvy dog, you can start working on proper walk behavior. I would be sure to click BEFORE you started getting puppy behavior and drop the treat on the ground to keep Pippi four on the floor and focused on you. Use a really high rate of reinforcement initially. Step, click, drop a treat, step, click, drop a treat. Don't give her the chance to act goofy. Click before she does.

If you miss and she starts acting silly, just wait. As long as it takes. Wait for calm, click that, then start again.

Asher has my best method for LLW here:

http://www.dogster.com/video/418007/Loose_leash_walking

There is a diary entry on his page that walks you through it.

If you start small, indoor, work on focus before you even start to move, the problem should resolve itself.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 27 6:28 pm

Behavior & Training > Why do you have a dog/s?
♥ Princess ♥

Barked: Thu Jun 16, '11 8:08pm PST 
Puggy? Not gonna lie, she was a bribe, straight out. I didn't even like pugs, but my daughter desperately wanted one, I desperately wanted my daughter to stop seeing her boyfriend. Said daughter later moved in with the boyfriend and The Pug remained with us. I will never be without a pug again. They truly are amazing little dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Jun 17 11:06 pm

Behavior & Training > I love my dog because . . .

♥ Princess ♥

Barked: Wed Apr 27, '11 6:37am PST 
I love puggy because she is my little snuggle bunny, my velcro dog, lap warmer, couch potato friend, she keeps me warm on cold nights and is always there if I need comfort.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Kashmir ♥ CGC, Apr 28 3:39 pm

Dogs & Travel > Bulldogs unable to fly with Delta Airlines

♥ Princess ♥

Barked: Thu Mar 24, '11 5:54pm PST 
Actually, all brach dogs should be included. It's just not worth the risk.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ava, Apr 10 8:33 am

Behavior & Training > Dogs doing what they were bred for!

♥ Princess ♥

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 5:39am PST 
Puggys (aka foo dogs) were bred to sit in the sleeves of Chinese emperors. Puggy is very good at sitting, but bad breeding does lead to confusion as she occasionally sits on my face.

They were made the official dog of the house of Orange after a pug warned William of Orange of an assassin's approach in the middle of the night. Again, bad breeding has reared it's ugly head. If an assasssin approached me in the middle of the night, Puggy's snores would drown out any noise he made although if she did wake up she would surely lick him to death.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Beau, Feb 25 5:01 am

Behavior & Training > Silliest dominance thing Ive ever read
♥ Princess ♥

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 1:54pm PST 
One of the best ways to insure you remain alpha is by NOT free feeding.

Oh, no!!! shock Just another way in which I display my total lack of Alphaness. As I write, my dogs are caching food from their constantly full food bowl and bringing it over to eat at my feet.

I guess given all the rules I break, I am just lucky my dogs have not tied me down, stolen the car keys and the checkbook and headed off to Petco.

But I am truly grateful for this thread. Now that I am aware, I have begun sleeping with a prong collar under my pillow just in case.
[notify]
» There has since been 46 posts. Last posting by Torie, Feb 14 7:50 pm

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.