GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?
Dash

The dashter, the- dashman!

Barked: Sat Jan 18, '14 10:36am PST 
Bunny - Your full name (and email of course) is ONLY viewable to YOU (and me, as the Community Manager). You have the option to make it public if you want to (obviously we advise against that). You also have the ability to decide which pictures are private and public.

The community homepage has trending topics and latest discussion boxes so that you see what is the latest and hottest topics in the community (since we have a contest going on right now, there is a contest box above them and you have to scroll down) On those boards, there is the date of the last post (or the time). That way you know how old a thread is.

As I have said, we are a very new community and a very new site. It takes a painfully long time to build a community (as you all know!) and to figure out what works best for our members. On the roadmap are re-vamping the photo albums and pictures (which are absolutely awfuL and so not user friendly), making the navigation easier (as I've said), and a lot more (like diaries).

We do have "widgets" across the entire site that will feature user posts in other groups, etc - ONLY your Pet360 username is displayed NOT your real name.

We do this integrate our community throughout the website, instead of it sitting in a lonely tab in the corner. Because the community is the core of the site - not the articles, not the blogs, not the shop. The community. However, if you do not feel comfortable with this type of set up, then I would say our site is not for you. We consider the entire site a community experience, and the reason we use the widgets to highlight community conversation is to help educate others. If someone comes to our site and reads an article on separation anxiety, for example, we want them to know that we also have a group of pet parents who are struggling with this issue and give them an idea of the conversation. They may not be the kind of person who likes to participate in an online forum, so they may not have initially wanted to check out a forum board group. But, maybe after seeing a preview of the threads, they will. And then, maybe, just maybe, they'll make some amazing connections and learn how to help their dog suffer less.

So, that's the thinking and intention behind Pet360 - we combine content, commerce, and community all in one. If it's not for you, it's not for you. You need to find the space that you feel most comfortable and welcomed. I hope it's Pet360, but if it's not I absolutely respect that, and I do hope you are able to land somewhere where you can maintain your friendships. Just because a website shuts down doesn't (and shouldn't!) mean a friendship has to.
[notify]
» There has since been 461 posts. Last posting by , Feb 19 10:27 pm

Dash

Barked: Sat Jan 18, '14 5:48am PST 
Well, I think the reason Pet360 can't mimic the layout of dogster is because we *aren't* dogster...our site is more than just an online community (each site section is integrated with the other)...and I only have the ability to work with the platform that we are currently using (which is not the same platform as dogster).

Would any of you be interested your own group on Pet360? A group just for former members of dogster who are looking for a new home? That way you could get a feel for the Pet360 community, while still having a "homespace" for you to land until you figure out if it's what you want and what fits best for your needs?

Running an online community consumes a ton of time to make sure it isn't over-run by spam and mean people (heck, it's my full time job!). And, as a few of you mentioned, it's $$$$$ (at least -- to have all of the features that you do here). Is that why SayMedia shut it down? I honestly don't know.

I do know, though, that I joined dogster years ago because I finally had my very own dog to care for and I just wanted to connect with other people who loved their dog as much as I did. I didn't care about the fancy bells and whistles, although they are fun and make it more engaging. (We are adding gamification to our site and it is on the roadmap, but I don't know when it will be completed.) At the end of the day, sometimes you just need a spot to hunker down in.

I can't promise you that I could execute everything that you put on a wishlist, but I can promise you that I am absolutely open to suggestions. And help! Always open to that cheer

The other option you may want to look at is Ning.com - but I think they now charge for their services confused
[notify]
» There has since been 489 posts. Last posting by , Feb 19 10:27 pm

Dash

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 11:31am PST 
Thanks for the feedback Lisa - this is exactly the kind of feedback we are looking for,and that kind of improvement wouldn't take much time to do...anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to check it out!
[notify]
» There has since been 511 posts. Last posting by , Feb 19 10:27 pm

Dash

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 8:37am PST 
Sorry if I confused you!! You can absolutely see everything in our community and site-wide without registering!! Also, if you notice the ads on Dogster - they are also tracking you, whether you realize that or not -- the ads you see in it depend on where else you've visited on the internet. But, otherwise, there isn't any other "tracking" going on.

So, just to be clear - you CAN see everything before joining. You just can't post/comment cry But, that's true with virtually every online community. It's just that once you register, the navigation gets much better because it is personalized to you and your type of pets.

If you only want to see our online forums, go straight to www.community.pet360.com and browse around. That's our community homepage that you see if you are just looking as a guest. You can navigate to the other parts of the community in the orange bar, and in the drop-down menu you'll see "Discussions" with a list of the boards/groups.

In the end, our community may not be for you -- but I'd love for you to check it out!rainbow
[notify]
» There has since been 521 posts. Last posting by , Feb 19 10:27 pm

Dash

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 8:02am PST 
Bunny

Thanks for the feedback - in the actual community section, ads shouldn't be appearing as much as they are in the other parts of the site.there should only be a top banner and one on the right hand side.

Also, right now the mobile version of the site, tbh, stinks. We are working on a re-design, but it will be some time before that is good to go.

When you first go to Pet360.com, the community won't "jump" out at you - because our entire site is a community. Yes, we have all of the forums/boards/groups (our senior pets group and separation anxiety group are very engaged for example). However, once you register and tell us a little bit about what kind of pets you have, the site becomes more personalized. So, if you only have dogs you generally will not see or have to sift through cat content, etc.

Once you register, you will see a green "Discussions" tab - that's where our community homepage currently sits. Click on it, and then navigate in the green navigation bar to see the forum boards and groups,etc.

I will say this also - at first (I think) our site is a little confusing. There is a LOT of information and we need to make finding your way around better. And we are working on it - but we need feedback on what works and what doesn't. Our community even has an advisory panel of "Foster Parents" who help out new members and give direct input on what they want changed/created. Having a dedicated community manager for a community is what helps keep spam under control and I'm the one who takes the community's needs/wants back to the company. Creating change and getting new features takes time in every online community, but at least we have a team member dedicated to fighting for it.
[notify]
» There has since been 523 posts. Last posting by , Feb 19 10:27 pm

Dash

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 6:40am PST 
I certainly agree with you that Dogster is unique, which is what made part of what made it such a successful community (the members are the other secret sauce!).

While Pet360 does not YET have all of the features that dogster does, we do have some of them, like the ability to create a diary and multiple pet profiles. And we have so much more in the works. If you do decide to check us out, I am very open to hearing suggestions or what you would like to see on the site to make it better. Since we are at the early stages in our development, we are strongly relying on our members to determine how we grow and what new features we implement.

Beings that Dogster really has been around for such a long time, and is the leading community forum in the dog topic area, there really aren't many other forums already out there that quite match what it has to offer. And, especially once you are already familiar with one community platform and have such established friendships, it's really disheartening to have to find a new place to gather...
[notify]
» There has since been 529 posts. Last posting by , Feb 19 10:27 pm

Dash

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 4:16am PST 
Hi everyone,

I would strongly encourage you to check out the community over at www.Pet360.com. (Full disclosure - my name is Rebecca and I am the full-time community manager). While we are a young community, we have so many fun things going on and even bigger plans for 2014. Our primary focus is helping our members educate one another, have fun, and making our relationships with our pets as amazing as they can be. We also have a section where members can submit new ideas and changes they wish to see in our community so that we know what is working and what isn't. Our community members have a very strong voice in the growth and direction of our community.

To get started, head over to the site, register (free, of course) and then click on the green discussions tab. I hope to see you there, and if you have any issues at all feel free to email me directly at rbraglio@pet360.com.

http://www.Pet360.com.puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 532 posts. Last posting by , Feb 19 10:27 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Vets abusing animals

Dash

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 7:53am PST 
Crazy stuff going on -- 2 vets recently have made the news for animal cruelty/abusing animals. One vet left his dog in the car on a hot day, the other vet beat a beagle to death with a hammer/screwdriver.
http://community.pet360.com/t5/Dog-Rescue-Advocacy/Vets-Abusing-An imals/m-p/5726#U5726

What is going on?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jan 31 1:20 pm

American Pit Bull Terrier > Coffee Cozy with Pittie embroidered on it

Dash

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 3:40am PST 
Enter to win a handmade coffee cozy with a Pittie embroidered on it! Just go to my website, http://www.thephillydog.com/archives/1985, and leave a comment about which item you like best. Contest ends October 2nd at noon!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 3 12:11 pm

Boston Terrier > Boston Terrier Artwork Contest Giveaway!
Dash

Barked: Sun Dec 6, '09 4:27am PST 
Artist Robin Zebley, who is sponsoring a FANTASTIC giveaway this week on ThePhillyDog.com Up for grabs is this stunning piece of artwork – “A Day at the Park.” The posted picture truly does not do this art justice – Robin’s attention to detail is amazing and the colors are incredibly vibrant! Any pet lover would love to have this beautiful piece of art to display, but especially a Boston Terrier owner!!!

To enter, just go to http://www.thephillydog.com and leave a comment on the blog! That's it! Every person who enters gets ONE ZEALIE! A winner will be randomly selected on Wednesday, December 9th.snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 6 4:27 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.