Postings by Sachi (1997-2012)

GO!

(Page 1 of 80: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > What Breeds in my Brother's Mixed Dog?
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Dirt is a girls- best friend!

Barked: Sat Mar 29, '14 5:16pm PST 
Thanks for the replies. The shelter had him listed as an Australian Cattle Dog/Pit bull mix. My bro is thinking maybe ACD/Boxer mix. What do ya'll think?

Edit: Out of all the suggestions I suppose I can see the resemblance to a Boston Terrier the most with the coloring and sideview. So maybe he is an ACD/Boston Terrier mix. I also see the Pit bull mix idea but I don't see any German Shepherd in him.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 6 12:32 pm

Behavior & Training > Female dog will not stop humping
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 5:47am PST 
It seems to me that her body is just reacting to the fact that it lost a uterus and ovaries. Give her time to adjust hormonally before worrying. I don't think it will be a permanent behavior. Hormone fluctuations can cause a lot of havoc. Best of luck. Btw, you might consider giving her a giant stuffed toy to hump so she will leave you and others alone until things calm down.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 28 10:05 am

Choosing the Right Dog > What breed has the softest coat?

Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 1:55pm PST 
I haven't read all of the posts because there are so many. O_O I agree that Coton De Tulear have a soft coat that is also a dry soft. Can't remember who said that but I liked how they described it in this thread. Anyway, they are soft, especially when their fur is clean. lol But they aren't the softest. smile I know because I have compared my Coton to my sister's pekingese/poodle mix and he is softer. shock I don't know if that means that a purebred pekingese would have softer fur or not... What is funny is that he looks soooo much like my Coton that people often mix them up if they aren't paying close attention.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 30 1:20 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Dry mouths??

Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 1:45pm PST 
Short answer is, yes. Long answer is, yeeeeeeeeeees.

Breed has a lot to do with it because of the shape of the muzzle and jowls but I have heard that some breeders of drooly type dogs will purposely try to breed puppies that don't drool as much. I believe it was with one of the mastiff breeds that I first heard about a breeder doing that. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nicky, Mar 27 5:42 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Need some breed suggestions!

Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 1:26pm PST 
Well, a Mini poodle is a Toy Poodle but a little bigger. So you would be getting another dog with a toy breed attitude. Which it is sounding like you don't want that because you already have two Pomeranians. Is that the case? Anyway, if you are still interested in hearing about mini poodles I can tell you more about them.

What type of personality are you looking for? What characteristics do you love about your Poms that you also want your new dog to have? And what characteristics do your Poms have that you DON't want your new dog to have? Or if you have had other dogs in your life, what did you like and dislike about them?

Edit: I will tell you that Poodles, no matter what size, will outsmart their humans. But because they are so smart they learn really fast. My mom's dogs get treats when one of them goes outside to potty so the poodle figured out that if she just goes outside and turns around and comes back in then she gets a treat. And then she taught the other dogs the same trick and will send them outside so she can get a treat without having to do anything. Very smart dog. She is the mastermind.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , May 6 3:21 am

Choosing the Right Dog > what breed does he look like?
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 12:45pm PST 
I agree, there is def. a lot of Chow going on. It is funny to see such a Chow looking face on such a long and lanky dog. lol I wasn't expecting that when I started looking at the pictures. The color is also very Chow and of course you have the tongue spots agreeing with the Chow conclusion. He has a very sweet expression. smile I love my mom's dog that is also a GSD/Chow mix of some combination. She has a sweet face too but takes after a GSD more than this fella.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 3 9:36 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Rescue dogs vs Breeder (rant)

Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 12:28pm PST 
I get sick of it too. However, there is so much corruption when it comes to breeders that I can see why people would feel that there aren't any good ones. Technically, if a breeder supports the AKC (as well as many other corrupt kennel clubs) they are either in complete denial or they are choosing to turn a blind eye. Or I guess there might be some that are choosing to stay in the AKC in an attempt to "change it from within." shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Caledonia, Apr 11 4:55 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What Breeds in my Brother's Mixed Dog?

Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 11:31am PST 
My bro went to the shelter and got a dog so I thought we'd see if you guys can give us an idea of what breeds are in his mix. smile I'll tell you what he was listed as after some people chime in. I don't want to skew anyone's opinion.

Anyway, he is high energy, about a year old, 40 lbs, and has NO purple-ish spots on his tongue.

Here are the pictures.

Closeup of Head

Sideview
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 6 12:32 pm

Dog Health > Safe Plush Toys

Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 1:42am PST 
I wasn't sure where to put this then I realized it is a matter of health.

One of my mom's toy poodles chews pieces off of his toys and swallows them. He has had to go to the vet before because they were worried about a blockage. (Thankfully it passed.) The way she solved the problem was to buy toys without small fabric parts that can be easily chewed off. (ie. ears, feet, antennae) Most of their toys were plush balls. Then came along her third dog, a medium GSD mix, and she has de-stuffed just about every one of them. The toy poodle tries to eat the stuffing when this happens. He is so determined.

Does anybody have experience with durable safe plush dog toys?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Jun 20 6:14 am

Choosing the Right Dog > What Breeds are in My Mom's Dog?
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 3:47pm PST 
Milton, funny you should ask that. I thought about looking at her tongue when Tiller mentioned the Chow Chow but figured that I've been around her enough that I would have noticed if there were spots. Then you brought it up and I decided I might as well be certain. Surprise surprise, she does have a large purple-ish spot on her tongue.

We do live in a rural part of West Virginia but I have no idea how common sheep farming is here. I see what you mean about her coloring being similar to an Anatolian Shepherd though.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sachi (1997-2012), May 3 3:47 pm

(Page 1 of 80: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.