GO!

(Page 1 of 22: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > dog food sales reps - "what do you feed your dog?"
Abbie Lou

I licks faster- than Mom- blinks!!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '07 1:01pm PST 
I'm such a good doggy, I give Mom an easy out. If the demo folks start bugging her about food (she only goes to PetSmart for cat litter - our foods are bought at a little store much further away), she just tells them that any food with any rice/egg/sweet potato in it ends up getting steam-cleaned out of the rug as VOMIT. And it's the truth. I hurl a lot, if I don't get my good Healthwise Lamb Meal and Oatmeal or my Natural Balance duck/potato.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Aug 22 8:03 am

Food & Nutrition > Seaching for a good dog food!
Abbie Lou

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 10:11am PST 
Canidae is a good food for a good value.
Canidae website too look up their formulas/ingredients:
http://canidae.com/#

Canidae Store Locator to see if you can get it near you:
http://canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

I'm also a big fan of Natura products, which include Innova, Innova EVO, California Natural, Karmic Organics, and Healthwise foods. (I feed Healthwise.) Innova and Healthwise are both very affordable.

Natura website to check out their brands/formulas:
http://naturapet.com/

Natura Store Locator:
http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/

There are many other good foods out there, but those are the two brands that come to mind first for me as high-quality/good value.

Good luck finding something that works well for your pets!
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by , Aug 19 2:35 am

Food & Nutrition > Dog Food Help

Abbie Lou

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '07 10:05am PST 
Wellness and Merrick are good foods. Royal Canin isn't the worst you can do, but in my opinion, it's a HORRIBLE food "value," meaning you can get a way better food for the price.

The Natura Product comparison page is a good starting place. Sometimes, though, it's worth just googling the food brand to find that brand's website. There may be other stores near you of which you're unaware that you can find through the food company's website. I didn't know I could get all the Natura products I know feed less than one-hour's drive from the house, until I went to their store locator and found an independent feed store within acceptable driving distance.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Aug 17 6:25 am

Behavior & Training > is my dog starving?!

Abbie Lou

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 1:39pm PST 
I can destuff a stuffy in about 3.2 seconds! laugh out loudpuppy

Some dogs are chewy dogs, some aren't. I, personally, tear the heck out of anything I can get my fangs into.

Mom's solution is that we only get sturdier-type toys (ropes are about the most destructable toy we have now), and those toys are played with outside, while supervised. They are removed before I can tear them up completely.

We only get our nylabones in the house, for chewies. The yard is for playing, and the house is for chillin'.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 15 1:39 pm

Behavior & Training > Pit bulls + dog parks = ???

Abbie Lou

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 11:49am PST 
Vance said:

The Pit Bull Rescue Center probably includes all Pits in their warning because when things as mentioned above do happen, it reflects poorly on Pits and builds more stigma against them than there already is. In many cases, even if a Golden Retriever actually started the fight, it would still end up blamed on the Pit. It's not really right to say "no Pit should ever..." but in the interest of good PR, I can see why they would.

Good post, Vance! applause

I say that Pit Bulls + Dog Park = Potential Trouble.

Please do not misunderstand me. There are doubtless MANY American Pit Bull Terriers out there who play well with other dogs and who will not have an altercation with strange dogs within their lifetimes. However, there *IS* at predisposition to dog-agressive tendencies in the breed. Just as I wouldn't take a Greyhound (even if there are some individual Greyhounds who would be just fine) into a room filled with rabbits, I wouldn't take a Pit Bull to an off-leash park.

Beyond even the issue of what an individual Pit Bull will or won't tolerate from other dogs is the looming issue of BSL ("breed specific legislation," or efforts to ban Pit Bull ownership). *IF* I took a Pit Bull to the dog park, and a beagle viciously attacked, and the Pit Bull fought back, how do you think the incident would be perceived? Because of the public opinion (most of it based on silly myths) about Pit Bulls, it's likely that the Pit would be blamed, and it would be one more strike against the breed.

ALL powerful dogs need responsible owners, and all breeds have tendencies that we may not really like. BUT, no other breed is currently in the danger or under the level of scrutiny that the Amercian Pit Bull Terrier is. It just is NOT worth it.

For what it's worth, I've learned a lot with my first two doggies, and I am no longer for EVER visiting a dog park with my dogs, regardless of their breed. Too much potential for injury/illness, and too many other wonderful ways to socialize/exercise/have fun without having to deal with a dog park.
[notify]
» There has since been 80 posts. Last posting by , Aug 23 7:10 pm

Behavior & Training > Poll: Who leaves their dog in a crate for 8 hours?
Abbie Lou

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '07 11:33am PST 
Mine are crated through the workday, but I work about 4 miles from home, so I go home every day for lunch and let them romp around outside for a few and go potty.

They are also crated over night.

I know a lot of people would say that's too much crating. Well, it works for us. My two dogs not only go willingly to their crates...when I tell them "Go to bed for a cookie," they go *RUNNING* down the hallway and skidding into their crates. laugh out loud They're used to our routines, and even when we're home through the day, they stay pretty low-key and nap a lot until evening.

It keeps the cats safe from the dogs, the dogs safe from ingesting inappropriate matter, and the house safe from the dogs eating it.
[notify]
» There has since been 160 posts. Last posting by , Aug 22 3:40 pm

Behavior & Training > Humilating Pulling at other dogs...

Abbie Lou

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '07 3:59pm PST 
One note my furbrother forgot to mention is that it's a good idea to use what Mom calls a "re-dun-dent" collar with the prong. Because of the way a prong collar is made, they *can* slip apart once in a great while. Many use a slip collar along with the prong (and attach the leash to both) to have a back up if the prong ever "lets go." Mom bought some cheap hardware to use to link our flat collar "D" rings to the prong's live ring, so we wear both collars and are safely tied to Mom, even if the prong breaks when I'm REALLY excited.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 14 5:57 pm

Food & Nutrition > Sutures found in Innova kibble :X

Abbie Lou

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 10:45am PST 
I *did* email Natura once and received no response. I'm still feeding Healthwise dog kibble, EVO canned dog food, and EVO canned cat food, though. They're quality foods for a great price. Plus, I have somewhat special needs...I only know of two commercial foods I can get in OK that Abbie Lou can eat (list of allergies...rice, egg, and sweet potato are the most problematic to avoid), and because my cats wouldn't eat the Royal Canin scrip food the surgeon wanted me to feed after my kitty's "sex change" surgery due to UT blockage, the vet suggested I stay with my current rotation, and just up the EVO (because the RC stuf just increased water intake, and a high-pro/grain-free food will do that, as well).

I'm kinda stuck with Natura products. If I ever have to switch...well, the only super-viable option I see is checking into what it will really take (time/energy/cost) to do raw/homecooked.
[notify]
» There has since been 42 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 7:41 pm

Food & Nutrition > EVO foods

Abbie Lou

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 2:31pm PST 
I don't feed the dogs EVO kibble (I believe it has egg in it? one of the things on Abbie Lou's long list of foods to avoid), but I do feed EVO chicken/turkey canned dog food as a kibble topper (I mostly feed another Natura kibble, Healthwise lamb/oatmeal - Lou can't have rice, either). The dogs LOVE the EVO, and never seem to get bored as long as I mix in 1/10 of a can or so each for every meal.

The kitties don't get kibble, but I've been EXCEPTIONALLY happy on how well they've done on their current rotation, which is 50% canned EVO. (The other 50% is chicken or venison California Natural, with a little bit of Wellness chicken in there, as well.) Their stools are wonderful, coats soft as can be.

Just a note, though, based on my experience with the kitties. According to the can, I'm supposed to be feeding 1 can per 8 lbs of cat. All together, I have 36 pounds of cat (one 15 lb, one 11 lb, and one 10 lb). The label tells me I should be feeding four and a half cans a day! I'm feeding two cans a day, and about to cut back to 1.75, as I'm STILL not able to get my fatty boy to lose weight.

Just wanted to say their suggested serving amounts aren't necessarily spot-on.

The dog food kibble may not be as off on their recommended amounts. I think the Healthwise kibble (made by same company) is just a bit higher than what I need, but it's really hard to determine, as I also add their EVO canned food, as well as giving them about 1/4 cup of a fermented milk beverage called kefir every evening (EXCELLENT probiotic source!).
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 3:58 pm

Behavior & Training > To the Pitts and Pitt Mixs!!! [[Venting - VERY LONG]]
Abbie Lou

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '07 2:11pm PST 
Jasmine said:
But anyway, all that being said, I personally am not so much refering to dog-on-human agression, but mainly to dog-on-dog agression... so i might be a little off topic because after reading a few more posts that seems to be the main topic - dogs biting people - oh well... still said what I had to say...

Actually, talking about dog aggression, dog reactivity, or being selective about doggy friends SHOULD be covered in any discussions about Pits. I think many people's negative ideas could be toned down, if not elimnated, if people just understood the APBT's heritage and the DIFFERENCE and lack of connection between possibly being aggressive toward other dogs and being aggressive toward humans.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 1 5:28 pm

(Page 1 of 22: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.