Postings by Hershey

GO!

(Page 1 of 206: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Interesting view on neutering
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Sat Nov 2, '13 2:33pm PST 
The rush of prostate cancer increases with an early neuter, not decreases. Unaltered big guys tend to have an enlarged prostate, but that is normally asymptomatic and not an issue.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Hershey, Nov 2 2:33 pm

Hershey

Barked: Sat Nov 2, '13 11:29am PST 
My issue is this:

We got a puppy (is a service dog candidate to follow Harley) in July. When we took her to the vet, we got a new puppy book that I kinda laughed at looking though it (Im not exactly new to this) until I got to the altering part where it literally states, "There are no risks to early altering." Either the clinic owner is uninformed on the current research or is flat out lying to the clients.

I do not care if the vet thinks the owner can not handle an intact dog. There should be informed consent...true informed consent. When my first dog was a puppy, I was told that if I didn't spay her, she would kill my cats and die of mammary cancer. I didn't know better and she was spayed at 6 mo. With my guys the steaks are high bc they are the big guys, and those are the ones with the largest risk to early altering, though I don't think it's good for any dog. EVERY SINGLE owner should be made aware of the medical risks of both altering and not altering and then be allowed to make that decision for themselves. PERIOD! Along with that should come education on how to tell if your dog is in heat. My Great Pyr has clean heats and its not always easy to tell. Then education on how to contain and be responsible if you choose not to alter. But to just push the altering mantra without informed consent is wrong. If they did that to a human, it would be criminal.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Hershey, Nov 2 2:33 pm

Hershey

Barked: Thu Oct 31, '13 2:04pm PST 
Other Hershey,

You are aware that dogs can only breed while in heat, right? That only occurs once or twice a year depending on the dog. How do you prevent accidents? You learn the signs of a heat cycle and are extremely cautious during that time. I mean...I do it with an intact male living IN my house.

I didn't technically rescue any of my dogs, but they are all in better homes and could be considered rescues. Hershey was thrown from a moving truck at 4 weeks of age. It happened right by my house, I saw it, picked her up, and she has been mine ever since. Harley was the puppy of my SO's father's dog. The conditions he would have lived in had we not taken him make me cry to think about. I highly doubt any of his litter mates are still here. I did buy the younger two, but they are much better off. All living dogs deserve a good home.

I also believe in responsible breeding. We need well bred puppies for the continuation of the species.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Hershey, Nov 2 2:33 pm

Hershey

Barked: Wed Oct 30, '13 1:09pm PST 
Oscar, I expected to get flamed. What a nice surprise your post is. I have an unaltered 10 year old 105 lb dog who lives with 2 unaltered females. Granted, one is a puppy and has yet to go into heat, but at 8 mo old, Im expecting it at any time. But, he has never even tried to run off. In fact, he is my service dog.

I will not alter again (my eldest is altered bc I didn't know 12 years ago what I know today) unless there is a medical reason to do so. I don't like to see dogs altered prior to full maturity bc of the health risks associated with early altering, especially in the big ones. But, my beef is with vets who do not give their clients the full picture, and use scare tactics to bully their clients into altering. If someone knows all the risks associated with altering and with not altering (there are risks to both), fully understands it and then accepts them, then the decision is theirs what to do with their baby. But, I am so beyond the mantra of "You must alter at 6 mo or you are irresponsible." Or "There is no reason not to alter." Bc there most certainly are.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Hershey, Nov 2 2:33 pm

Hershey

Barked: Tue Oct 29, '13 10:26pm PST 
Altering just to prevent breeding is done for the humans sake, not in the best interest of the dog. I live in a house with an unaltered male and 2 unaltered females (and one altered one) and no breedings. It's not hard. It may be annoying at times, but it can be done.

To me, altering is a MEDICAL procedure (a major one at that) and there needs to be a MEDICAL reason to do it. All the recent medical research is showing its harmful to alter prior to full maturity.

I know opinion is not the most popular one on Dogster, but ya really need to look at why you do what you do to your dogs. Is it for you or for them?
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Hershey, Nov 2 2:33 pm

Senior Dogs > Senior dog and a new puppy
Hershey

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 9:20pm PST 
We just added a new puppy to the pack, a 5 mo old, 60 lb Rottie, named Makeda. She's made friends with Harley and we've started allowing carefully monitored interaction with Sophie. But my concern is Hershey.

Hershey is my 12 year old Akita mix. Her reaction to Harley and Sophie coming in was to bite them. They were both little babies. Makeda is right at Hershey's size, much faster and quite spastic right now. If Hershey were to snap and Makeda snap back, Im concerned that Hershey could get hurt.

So far (we got her Sun), they've met with Makeda on lead, and had interaction with Makeda crated or with them technically in different rooms with "daddy" in between, but no direct contact. Any advice on how to manage that???
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Hershey, Jul 31 9:20 pm

Senior Dogs > My baby's eleven!

Hershey

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 1:06pm PST 
Yesterday was Hershey's birthday, and my princess turned ELEVEN! I have to be honest and say it is bittersweet! She is still running zoomies like a puppy and has more energy than I can harness. We just had lab work and x-rays done in April and she is great, and I'm thankful for that...so very thankful! But, I still don't like that number creeping up. But, we had a party and she got all kinds of spoiled! I just can't believe it's been 11 years!!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Monty, Jun 3 9:14 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Someone called the cops

Hershey

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 4:34pm PST 
Since it IS illegal to leave a dog unattended in a car where I live, it's not a waste of time. I also live where it's already hot and humid. I was giving you the view point of someone who sees the other side of it.
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by Kashmir ♥ CGC, May 21 6:51 am

Hershey

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 7:59am PST 
First, I didn't say that I brake people's windows to "rescue" their dogs, but that I know someone who does. I do not. I will have the store page them if possible and then call the cops if necessary.

Second, while I do completely do believe it is irresponsible to leave a dog unattended in a car ever, under any circumstance, I did not say that you have no business owning dogs. I am sure that if someone scrutinized everything I do with mine, someone would find something they find irresponsible, and the same could probably be said with every single dog owner.
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by Kashmir ♥ CGC, May 21 6:51 am

Hershey

Barked: Wed May 9, '12 1:13pm PST 
There are more dangers than just the heat. What if someone broke into the car and stole the dogs? I know someone that will break a car window if they ever see dogs unattended in a vehicle. What if a dog moves the gear shift and puts the car in gear? Ive seen it happen.

The alternative is one of you go in Wal Mart and one of you stay with the dogs. Is there any reaso why you both absolutely had to go in? When we go on vacation and go into a non pet friendly place, one stays with the dogs and one goes to the store. Yes, I find leaving animals alone in a vehicle incredibly irresponsible, no matter what the temperature is.
[notify]
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by Kashmir ♥ CGC, May 21 6:51 am

(Page 1 of 206: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.