Postings by Belle

GO!

(Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > HELP Screaming when mouth is touched but not a tooth issue?
Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 8:08am PST 
Is it possible there is something going on nearby, not in her mouth, but hurts when there is pressure on her jaws? A sinus, ear, neck or shoulder problem?
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Josie *Forever in Our Hearts* , Nov 29 4:07 pm

Behavior & Training > Bunny is afraid of lightning, not thunder
Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Wed Sep 4, '13 5:53am PST 
A Thundershirt or similar wrap can help with electrical sensations, since they hold fur in place.

It may very well be visual, though. I react to lightning because I've been through so many lightning strikes. Even when it's not bothering me much emotionally, I find that at night it disrupts my sleep badly. During the day, I'm easily startled by it.

Usually I move into a room where I can cover all the windows, and turn a light and a tv on. It has to be both, because the tv alone is not bright enough, but the light alone is too steady to mask the flashes.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Sep 5 6:30 pm

Senior Dogs > Diaper Suggestions

Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 9:03am PST 
Small dogs typically live longer than larger dogs. I've also known many small dogs well over 15 - I currently know a Chi mix who is at least 18, based on when she was adopted. Going grey can happen at any age, much like humans. I know people in their 50's with barely any grey hair, and people in their 20's who are already completely grey.

Incontinence can happen, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. More often it isn't an issue.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 27 7:05 am

Raw Food Diet > help . . . diagnosed with heart murmur

Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 8:07am PST 
There are definitely avenues you could take with holistic care, but you have to be careful due to how sick she is right now. Ideally, find a holistic vet to work with.

Strictly in terms of heart disease, supplementing with taurine can help stall the progression of many heart conditions.

What tests did the vet do? Do you know how her organ function is overall? What meds is she on now? The vomiting and lethargy could be a side-effect. Either way, I'd touch base with the vet about it.

In this situation, I would not go straight to raw. Get her on a bland, homecooked diet and get her stabilized. As she feels better, you can expand to a more inclusive, balanced diet. If that goes well, you would be in a position to look at trying raw. The problem with going there straight off is that you have a 13-year-old body that is used to getting the same thing every day. The sudden change of protein ratios and the form of the food could shock her system, especially if there is also an underlying liver/kidney/spleen/etc issue (also not uncommon for a 13-year-old). At this point she just needs basic, easy to digest calories going in.

Belle used to collapse from her heart disease too. It's scary, but it's actually saving their heart from overworking. We were able to teach her to lay down and be still as possible when it started to happen, which made it easier to get through and stopped her from hurting herself falling. Some dogs will be too nervous for that to work, but it's worth a try.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Belle, Aug 14 8:07 am

Raw Food Diet > help . . . diagnosed with heart murmur

Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 8:07am PST 
There are definitely avenues you could take with holistic care, but you have to be careful due to how sick she is right now. Ideally, find a holistic vet to work with.

Strictly in terms of heart disease, supplementing with taurine can help stall the progression of many heart conditions.

What tests did the vet do? Do you know how her organ function is overall? What meds is she on now? The vomiting and lethargy could be a side-effect. Either way, I'd touch base with the vet about it.

In this situation, I would not go straight to raw. Get her on a bland, homecooked diet and get her stabilized. As she feels better, you can expand to a more inclusive, balanced diet. If that goes well, you would be in a position to look at trying raw. The problem with going there straight off is that you have a 13-year-old body that is used to getting the same thing every day. The sudden change of protein ratios and the form of the food could shock her system, especially if there is also an underlying liver/kidney/spleen/etc issue (also not uncommon for a 13-year-old). At this point she just needs basic, easy to digest calories going in.

Belle used to collapse from her heart disease too. It's scary, but it's actually saving their heart from overworking. The "seizing," at least in our case, was not a seizure at all but panic over why she was unable to control her body. We were able to teach her to lay down and be still as possible when it started to happen, which made it easier to get through and stopped her from hurting herself falling. Some dogs will be too nervous for that to work, but it's worth a try.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Belle, Aug 14 8:07 am

Dog Health > How can this vet sell heartworm prevention so cheap?
Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 10:22am PST 
Iverheart is way cheaper, as it's sort of a generic drug.

I have a local vet who sells these things for next to nothing also. It's a semi-retired husband and wife who own the practice. They just aren't making as much on the stuff. They'd rather cut the price and get more clients on it, since they don't have as much overhead as other vets.

That being said, your cheap vet sounds totally shady. There is a black market for canine meds, so I would be wary.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Belle, Jul 27 10:22 am

Dog Health > My 17 year old JRT isn't drinking or eating and is walking sideways

Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 9:58am PST 
She needs to see a vet immediately. This could be caused by any number of things, some very treatable, but given the symptoms it needs to treated as soon as possible for her to have a chance at pulling through.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 17 12:42 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Should I bring my dog back to the shelter...

Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 8:10pm PST 
Everyone is totally just guessing. There's no way to accurately discern any sort of breed in a pup that young. Most of what you're dealing with now is general puppy behavior, not breed-specific behavior. Inherited drives don't come out until the dog is a bit older. Issues like guarding food are normal (although not acceptable) and can be worked through. Similarly, liking dogs as a 4-month-old is no guarantee of liking dogs as a 2-year-old. Breed can be used to guess at adult traits, but it's not 100%.

Even the shelter's guess of Chi/Lab mix for the mother is pretty far-fetched. Unless the Chi was the father and there were some serious acrobatics involved, she was not a Chi/Lab!!

It's a gamble to adopt a shelter puppy in every respect. You have no idea what the pup is, or where they're from. Their personality as a baby is not what it will be as an adult. The only way to accurately assess these things is to adopt an adult dog from a rescue that uses foster homes and gets to know their dogs before placing them out.

It's up to you if you want to return her. Honestly, if you do, now the time. She's still tiny and cute and much easier to place than if you wait 6 months until things are out of control. OTOH, it could work out fine. Everyone second-guesses their choice in the weeks after bringing a dog home. Most of the time it is fine.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, May 9 3:11 am

Dog Health > Losing small clumps of hair and I'm a non shedding breed?

Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 2:13pm PST 
Agreed with the above, and would like to add that Poodle coats are very different from Shih Tzu coats. When you combine the two, you can end up with one or the other, or some odd combination of both types. I've seen Poo' and 'oodle mixes come out with straight guard coats and curly undercoats that shed like any other double-coated breed.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Belle, May 6 2:13 pm

Senior Dogs > This Portland woman wants to put her old dog down herself. Please advise.
Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 4:22pm PST 
Unfortunately there's no good, legal way to do what she wants.

If the issue with having a vet come to the house is that the dog panics around strangers, I would ask for an oral tranquilizer to give prior to the vet's arrival.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 9 6:56 pm

(Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.