Postings by Vance CGC

GO!

(Page 1 of 361: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Elevated ALT and Bile Acid Test Results??
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:51pm PST 
This topic is from 2008.

But, as to the new question re: elevated liver enzymes and raw...

It can be done, but with the awareness that once you get into health issues like liver problems you're looking at a highly customized diet. The typical advice and generalized PMR/BARF diets no longer apply. I firmly believe a custom, homemade diet is the best thing you can feed a dog with organ disease, so I do encourage looking into it.

First you need to figure out exactly what the problem is, at least to the best of your ability.

As a "for instance," and maybe you'll get something useful out of this:

Overproduction of bile was Vance's biggest problem. For a long time, he ate a pretty general PMR diet, but I had to buy items as low fat as possible (and I still often trimmed them). Fat spikes bile production. Fats found in fish are easier to digest than fats found in other meats, so I fed as much of a fish-based diet as I could afford. After a certain point I did have to start cooking all the meat so I could further drain fat away.

I also had to cook any greens he ate. Again, raw greens will spike bile production. I added large amounts of fiber to his diet, like mashed chick peas, pureed lentils, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin. This helps absorb what bile is overproduced. It also helped him hold weight, because his digestive system was functioning pretty poorly overall. You have to be aware in doing this that adding fiber can falsely lower an ALT, as it's absorbing what would otherwise end up in the bloodstream. The liver is still sick, but the symptom is lessened. In many cases lessening symptoms is all you can do, and is worth it to keep them from snowballing.

And he ate many small meals a day. Always at least three, but up to five if I could fit them in my schedule. This decreases the load on the digestive system - it fires up, and then gets to rest, rather than firing up and working at a huge meal for hours, then getting nothing at all and filling with unused bile for hours.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Tue 6:19 am

Dog Health > Please help me, I do not know if it is time to put my beloved dog to sleep
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 7:15am PST 
Is he still on antibiotics? They can cause all of the vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia and lethargy you have been seeing. Then the irregular meals and such set his diabetes off and everything spirals out of control. Obviously if he has an infection, he needs to be treated, but it's worth discussing this with your vet.

Vance went on cephalexan once in his life, and I thought he was going to die. I know hundreds of dogs who have taken ceph and done fine, Vance just could not handle that specific antibiotic. Switched him to something else and he was fine within a few days.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Hanna Belle, Apr 8 7:46 am

Dog Health > It Came On So Fast =(

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '14 1:59pm PST 
Have you consulted with your vet about any of this? Is your ER different from your regular vet? Typically ERs are not set up to do any sort of follow up care, so if you haven't, set up a time to consult with your regular vet ASAP. Once they're aware of the situation they can advise, often over the phone.

HGE is kinda one of those things that you either have, or you don't. It's possible to have ongoing digestive upset that carries on so long it triggers HGE, but it was not HGE the entire time. This was part of Vance's issues - it was not uncommon for him to have diarrhea, episodes of repeated vomiting, or go off his food and vomit 3 to 5 times during the course of a day. The vast majority of the time, it had nothing to do with HGE. When it was HGE, it was very quickly apparent that something was different, and very wrong. I knew it, and I never waited as long to get him to the vet on the recurrences. The first time I simply didn't know what HGE was, and was waiting for it to pass like all his other GI episodes had.

It is normal to have lingering stomach upset after an event that traumatic. It's also normal to have stomach upset from irregular meals. The easiest thing for digestion is 3 - 5 small meals a day, of freshly cooked pureed or ground food with plenty of fiber.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bella, Mar 18 4:00 pm

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '14 5:38am PST 
Elevated liver values. They did not respond to antibiotics, so we went to ultrasound.

They don't have to eat something to get HGE. It can just happen.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bella, Mar 18 4:00 pm

Dog Health > Garnet's back leg with the knee problem. Should we have the leg taken off or just have it repaired?

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 6:14pm PST 
This is a BIG decision. I would meet your vet, and also ask them to refer you to an orthopedic special-ist for a consult. The more opinions and info you have, the better, because there may be a solid case for both options.

You may want to consult with an animal physical therapist as well. They may be able to give you an idea of what you can expect from recovery, especially based on how she uses the leg now.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Kali, Apr 6 5:03 pm

Siberian Husky > What are some of the biggest siberian huskies out there?
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 6:07pm PST 
According to the breed standard:

"Height--Dogs, 21 to 23½ inches at the withers. Bitches, 20 to 22 inches at the withers. Weight--Dogs, 45 to 60 pounds. Bitches, 35 to 50 pounds. Weight is in proportion to height. The measurements mentioned above represent the extreme height and weight limits with no preference given to either extreme."

But, obviously not all Huskies fit within breed standard. Vance was far too tall, but inappropriately lean for a Husky... So he was over disqualifying height, but only weighed (ideally) 53lb.

The thing is, the standard exists as a guide for what will likely result from the breeding of two purebred dogs. It is the guide to which we refer when we're wondering about the height, weight, and shape of a dog. Once a dog falls outside that standard, there's really nothing to gauge how they will mature. I've known Huskies who were very short, stocky and small compared to standard, and Huskies who were extremely large compared to standard - between 75 and 90lb.

If you know the parents, you may be able to get a better feel for his adult size. But sometimes parents perfectly to standard will still produce a puppy that falls well outside of standard for some reason.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Rango, Mar 18 7:03 pm

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 5:21pm PST 
Good to hear!

HGE itself does not lead to cancer. If it was caused by inflammatory bowel disease, the IBD could lead to cancer. Typically you know if your dog has IBD - they will usually be picky about eating, lose weight even when they, and constantly have diarrhea.

Vance's HGE was caused by a slow-growing, non-cancerous tumor. The HGE didn't give him a tumor. And it was a pretty weird, rare situation.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Bella, Mar 18 4:00 pm

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '14 7:13am PST 
Great news! I mixed water into Vance's food for a while after his episode, to be sure he was staying hydrated. Plus the resulting mush is easier to digest.

Eating things that should not be eaten can certainly cause HGE, but often there is no identifiable cause. Some suspect an unknown virus or bacterial overgrowth can trigger it. There does appear to be some kind of genetic link, as some breeds are prone to HGE.

Good on you for recognizing your baby needed help and acting! You definitely saved her life.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Bella, Mar 18 4:00 pm

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '14 6:55am PST 
Vance had a couple episodes of HGE. Typically, if you get them to the vet before they begin to go into shock, and there is no underlying medical condition causing the HGE, they will make a full recovery with 48 - 72 hrs of fluids, anti-emetics and antibiotics.

He had recurring episodes because they were caused by bowel disease and tumors. I don't know why the bleeding would stop. Quick action coupled with pure, dumb luck, I guess.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Bella, Mar 18 4:00 pm

Dog Health > Waterproof nonskid crate mats?
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '14 6:42am PST 
Would it be easier to take the mat out and try something like Pawks? I haven't used them myself but I hear good things.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scruffy, Mar 6 4:09 pm

(Page 1 of 361: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.