Postings by Vance CGC

GO!

(Page 1 of 363: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Does anyone know what this lump could be?
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '14 7:49am PST 
Deramaxx is just an NSAID. It's not a prostate-specific drug. I've never heard of it being approved for human use.

Personally, I would be uncomfortable with a plan of "let's throw steriods at it and see if it changes" for a senior, intact dog with a swollen prostate. It sounds like the vet does want follow up, though.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Tue 12:52 pm

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '14 7:47am PST 
Deramaxx is just an NSAID. It's not a prostate-specific drug. I've never heard of it being approved for human use.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Tue 12:52 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Raw feeders are spoiled. Homecookers are the true MVPs.

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '14 8:42pm PST 
Lol! I'm late to this party, but yeah, 100% this.

I bought a giant wok for cooking meat quickly. It can handle about 6 lb at a time. If I had time I would fill crock pots (they're super easy to find second hand). Veg is easier, because you can just fill the entire oven with sweet potatoes or squash or whatever. I had to cook his greens too, to reduce acid production, so I had a giant stock pot. The only thing I could never find supersized was a blender!

Canned salmon and mackerel, and pumpkin and no-salt beets from Walmart were stock piled in case I ran out of food.

I hope you've found a solid system since this was posted!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Vance CGC, Mon 8:42 pm

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '14 8:26pm PST 
Old dogs can get all sorts of lumps and bumps. Some cancers do have a typical look to them, but others don't, and looks alone can be decieving. It would be very, very odd for cancer to move from the prostate to the lip, but it isn't impossible. Most likely they are separate issues. It's best to follow up with the vet either way.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Tue 12:52 pm

Grooming > Recommend a everyday brush?

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '14 8:14pm PST 
Seconding a curry comb. Anything metal could irritate the skin if used daily.

You could try a shedding blade, if you're just going to do a quick once-over. I've seen them strip undercoat and cause irritation if overused, but they are very effective.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Vance CGC, Mon 8:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > New to feeding raw: loose stools with blood clots
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '14 7:51pm PST 
Ignore Jasper. He is woefully ignorant.

If your dogs are having crumbly stool, you're feeding too much bone. This is likely irritating his colon on the way out and triggering licking. It may have become behavioral too, depending on his personality. Some dogs are very prone to compulsive habits. Wearing the "cone of shame" or an alternative during down time may help.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Vance CGC, Mon 7:51 pm

Dog Health > Kali is very sick :(

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '14 11:16am PST 
That sort of poor health is typical for a spleen problem. I don't have any websites, I just know a ton of owners who have been through spleen issues, and I dealt with a liver mass personally. They'll always say it's hermangiosarcoma. I was told that, and when I showed up again 3 months later, dog trotting beside me, they said "huh, guess it isnt after all."
[notify]
» There has since been 44 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Nov 3 3:25 am

Dog Health > Kali is very sick :(

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '14 7:44am PST 
So sorry. hug

I would get a second opinion ASAP. Especially if your vet is intending to diagnose cancer via ultrasound. That isn't possible. Only a tissue sample can identify cancer. There are loads of different tumors - even cancerous types - that all have different prognosis. Spleens can be removed entirely. Livers regenerate. Been there, done this, many times over. There may not be any good options, but I definitely would not take, "oh well it's cancer" off an ultrasound as an answer!
[notify]
» There has since been 46 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Nov 3 3:25 am

Dog Health > My dog has been puking blood for MONTHS... help, anyone?

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '14 7:31am PST 
...And because I'm a glutton for punishment, I just tried to research the claim that 90% of homemade diets are unbalanced. While the statement itself is thrown around quite a bit, I could not find a link to the actual study anywhere. What was interesting was one article, which mentioned that it was a survey about veterinary elimination diets. Obviously those are not balanced, nor are they supposed to be.

"IN one survey, 90% of homemade elimination diets prescribed by 116 veterinarians in North America were not nutritionally adequate for adult dog or cat maintenance."
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Obi, Jun 19 10:05 pm

Dog Health > My dog has been puking blood for MONTHS... help, anyone?
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '14 7:22am PST 
Having done the HGE thing, GI tumors, and liver disease... I don't know exactly what is going on with your dog. It does sound ulcer-y, or rather it sounds like it started out ulcer-y and has gone on so long that at this point you're dealing with a severely irritated GI tract.

Have you looked at allergies as a cause? What are you currently feeding? You're going to want to be feeding mostly pureed, bland fiber (pumpkin, lentils, chickpeas, that sort of thing). If your dog needs meat as enticement to eat (mine did) boil and drain low-fat ground meat, or cooked fish (WalMart sells flash-frozen whiting fillets for about $2.35/lb - not very nutritious, but bland and smelly). Add just as much as you need to get her to eat. Give many small meals, rather than one or two a day. Meat and calcium and all that are necessary to a dog's diet, but right now, short term, the focus needs to be on stopping the bleeding. Once that is under control, you can start adding things back for balance (all veg should be boiled, too - raw veg spikes acid production). The best diet in the world isn't going to do squat if your intestines are too shredded to absorb it. Kibble is completely inappropriate for a dog in this state, and you couldn't pay me to feed i/d, EVER.

Has the vet treated for ulcers yet? In humans, about 80% of ulcers are caused by H pylori bacteria. The remaining 20% is mostly drugs like ibprofin. It's not been proven in dogs, but many suspect a similar scenario and all the ulcer treatments I ever gave my dog included antibiotics. Of course - having been through this personally - the treatment can cause further irritation on top of the havoc caused by the infection. It takes a long time to heal. (I ate the same diet I had learned for my dog, btw, it WORKS!!) It can also take a long time for acid production to return to normal. My dog ended up on famotadine permanently (he was old and terminal by that point)... I ended up having to wean myself off both the proton pump inhibitors, and then, after several months, weaning off the acid blockers as well.

If you do need to do an endoscopy, you're going to want to consult a special ist. When Vance was at his sickest, Tufts refused to do any sort of scope due to the high risk of complications. They started a plan to treat based on symptoms and went from there as he progressed.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Obi, Jun 19 10:05 pm

(Page 1 of 363: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.