|Barked: Tue Jun 17, '14 7:22am PST |
|Having done the HGE thing, GI tumors, and liver disease... I don't know exactly what is going on with your dog. It does sound ulcer-y, or rather it sounds like it started out ulcer-y and has gone on so long that at this point you're dealing with a severely irritated GI tract.
Have you looked at allergies as a cause? What are you currently feeding? You're going to want to be feeding mostly pureed, bland fiber (pumpkin, lentils, chickpeas, that sort of thing). If your dog needs meat as enticement to eat (mine did) boil and drain low-fat ground meat, or cooked fish (WalMart sells flash-frozen whiting fillets for about $2.35/lb - not very nutritious, but bland and smelly). Add just as much as you need to get her to eat. Give many small meals, rather than one or two a day. Meat and calcium and all that are necessary to a dog's diet, but right now, short term, the focus needs to be on stopping the bleeding. Once that is under control, you can start adding things back for balance (all veg should be boiled, too - raw veg spikes acid production). The best diet in the world isn't going to do squat if your intestines are too shredded to absorb it. Kibble is completely inappropriate for a dog in this state, and you couldn't pay me to feed i/d, EVER.
Has the vet treated for ulcers yet? In humans, about 80% of ulcers are caused by H pylori bacteria. The remaining 20% is mostly drugs like ibprofin. It's not been proven in dogs, but many suspect a similar scenario and all the ulcer treatments I ever gave my dog included antibiotics. Of course - having been through this personally - the treatment can cause further irritation on top of the havoc caused by the infection. It takes a long time to heal. (I ate the same diet I had learned for my dog, btw, it WORKS!!) It can also take a long time for acid production to return to normal. My dog ended up on famotadine permanently (he was old and terminal by that point)... I ended up having to wean myself off both the proton pump inhibitors, and then, after several months, weaning off the acid blockers as well.
If you do need to do an endoscopy, you're going to want to consult a special ist. When Vance was at his sickest, Tufts refused to do any sort of scope due to the high risk of complications. They started a plan to treat based on symptoms and went from there as he progressed.
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|