Postings by Cagney

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Behavior & Training > No More Dog Park For Me!
Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Thu May 27, '10 9:28am PST 
I took my dogs to a dog park once and they came home with kennel cough, thus spreading it to my roommates two dogs. Not a fun time.
As for the toys, I took a ball with me for my pit. In FL dogs are not allowed on the beaches and my dog LOVES the water so the only place I could take him was one little dog park that was on the water. Thankfully he's not ball aggressive but it did help keep him distracted from this little yapper dog that kept coming up to him and having a fit. I didn't get it. He'd be standing there and there was this one itty bitty dog that kept going up to him and just yapping at him and trying to go after him. Had it not been for the ball I think he would have had that dog for a snack because the owner sure wasn't doing anything about her dog. That was the last time I took them to the dog beach. Too many irresponsible pet owners and then they get mad when an accident does happen.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by The Urban Hounds (Formerly the, May 27 5:08 pm

Dog Health > Why Is Rimadyl Not Safe for Dogs?
Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Wed Jan 27, '10 3:16am PST 
That is the first I have heard of it being dangerous for dogs. My roommates Yellow Lab is 10 y.o. and has been on and off it for years for arthritis. My Corso was just put on it about 2 years ago for arthritis as well. She didn't seem to have any ill effects beside loving to take the chewable kind as well. She is also on Dasquin for her arthritis.

Would love to hear what others say on this topic as it is new to me to hear this.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jan 29 3:41 pm

Dog Health > FURminator question

Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 8:55pm PST 
I bought it for my dogs as Cagney sheds like crazy but with her short hair she seemed like she was uncomfortable with it like it is hurting her. But it worked GREAT on my roomate's yellow lab and rot mix.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Mia , Feb 2 9:33 pm

Dog Health > Limping

Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 1:19pm PST 
If ticks are in your area I would definetly take her to the vet...Cagney had gotten Lyme Disease about 3 years ago..She showed her first sign of symtoms on a Saturady and couldn't walk by Tuesday (vet was only open on Tue-Fri, I was in a remote part of Italy)...I had to carry her and she had lost weight real quick...They gave her an IV and some antibiotics and was like new in 2 days...When my pit started limping we found out he had torn his ACL...It's better to be safe then sorry...
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by quigley, Jan 6 8:33 am

Cane Corso > I think I'm the only one...

Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 12:38pm PST 
How few and far inbetween the post have been for this page....Really aren't too many people out there that know about us...I'm 6 years old and mom got me as a pup in Italy...All the Sailors over there were getting us because we are such GREAT family dogs...I have cousins in Washington and found a breeder in Iowa or somewhere like that...Mommy is friends with her on Myspace.com and she flies to Europe every couple years to get her puppies from Itlay and Germany...

My brother, an Amstaff, was just diagnosed with Leishmaniasis last night and if mommy has to put him down she wants to get another Corso for me to play with...I will miss Jessie though and I know mom is crushed...Mommy loves us both but I can be difficult sometimes and so mommy tends to lean on Jessie when she needs support...I try to be there for her but sometimes I just don't know how to be so I'm glad she has Jessie to fill in for that....But I would love to have another big clutz to play with...Maybe I won't be able to bully him as much...But i dout thathappy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Chopper , Dec 29 2:48 am

Dog Health > I have health insurance now!
Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 7:32am PST 
I guess since you have had your plan for so long that is why you have great coverage...Being as Jessie ahas already ahd both surgeries no plan will cover anything that happens later on should he have problems again...That pre-existing clause...And now he has some skin problem so I'm sure that it will not cover that either...Still would like to get it for Cagney though since she is still ok...BUt will get it for Jessie too just because....Just can't decide between Petcare or VPI...Although I think that being as my dogs are older Petcare is going to be the better choice because they cover more for a senior dog just starting a plan...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cagney, Jan 2 7:32 am

Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Thu Jan 1, '09 8:22am PST 
Ok just checked out the Embrace pet insurance. They will only give Jessie accident only insurance because of his age. Blah...Still liking PetCare as they have a senior dog plan...I know now that next time I get a dog I'm gettin insurance from the start...

One thing I am finding with a lot of these insurances is they don't want to cover ACL problems and that is a very common injury in all breeds of dogs...There were 3 dogs getting TPLO surgery the day I took Jessie in to get his...And why do they not want to cover hereditary diseases...What's the point of getting the insurance then if things that are likely to happen won't be covered? That would be like me getting insurance that wouldn't cover a pregnancy...What for when I know I'm going to try to have children later in life...

Well I guess at least it's a start...
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Cagney, Jan 2 7:32 am

Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Thu Jan 1, '09 8:13am PST 
Yeah I checked out VPI and wasn't impressed esecially since my dogs are older (6&8)...I liked what Petcare had to offer but once they are senior like mine it's harder to find insurance that will cover them...Going to check out the one the poster above just mentioned!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Cagney, Jan 2 7:32 am

Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 3:52pm PST 
What insurance did you go with? I was looking at getting some and I wish I would have last year now that my pit has torn BOTH ACLs...
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Cagney, Jan 2 7:32 am

Dogs & Travel > to fly or not to fly
Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Mon Oct 27, '08 6:20am PST 
Both of my dogs have flown. Cagney only once but Jessie has done numerous trips. Both have flown from Italy to the US. Before I flew I did a lot of research on the airline and their past reports of pet deaths and incidents. MOST of the airlines now take extra measures to insure the safety of your pet due to a lot of past bad rap. I flew Cagney from Italy to Detroit using Delta for both legs and the staff was great. Can't remeber what airline I flew with Jessie but both times they were GREAT with him and my dogs were fine when I received them on the other end.

Another important factor is the time of year you travel. Most airlines have fly dates that they will not except animals in the cargo bay because of weather. If it is going to be too hot or too cold during your flying time I would not recommend it as they only allow minimal items in the kennel and they are not allowed to wear clothing (ie a pet sweater). If at all possible I would recommend driving with them. Easier on them and better in the colder season. I drove my two from FL to Chicago, IL last December where they had an extended stay before my mom picked them up and drove them from Chicago to San Antonio, TX in July. My mom also had her two dogs with her as she had driven to Detroit and picked my dogs up on the way back.

Best of luck with your choice and hope you have a great Holiday season.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Larisha, Dec 11 8:40 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.