Postings by tufferthanbatman

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Behavior & Training > Rattle Can
tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Sun Aug 20, '06 7:36am PST 
I had 20 cans and had to just keep throwing them at Randi. It worked on a very dominate dog so I wouldn't give up just yet.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by tufferthanbatman, Aug 20 7:36 am

Behavior & Training > Keeping an adolescent off the furniture
tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 6:54pm PST 
Just don't forget about the tape! Hate to have the police find ya all taped up and licked to death!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bleys, Aug 20 6:56 pm

Behavior & Training > Funny but annoying

tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 6:44pm PST 
That's really funny! Tuffer does something like that. He like howls at me in the morning when he's hungry and when I come home from work. It always puts a smile on my face. Don't be to hard on him.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by tufferthanbatman, Aug 19 6:44 pm

tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 6:35pm PST 
You can have a small distinction in tone for some dogs others you have to make it very different. Tuffer was one in which a small distinction would work. Randi was a very, very dominate dog. A big distinction was needed. Cans had to be thrown at her. Nothing scared her. I agree dogs do understand words but they understand tones better.

The cans are part of a training program so it makes it hard to use just that technique alone. It's always best to have a whole training program to follow and a trainer to ask when certain techniques don't work and have a backup plan. Better to be proactive then reactive I always say!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by tufferthanbatman, Aug 20 7:36 am

tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 5:56pm PST 
If a command is in the same tone as a correction then how can they tell the difference? Dogs see the world through there ears and nose. There has to be a distinction.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by tufferthanbatman, Aug 20 7:36 am

Behavior & Training > I'm A Wee Bit Protective Over Food
tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 5:46pm PST 
Almost forgot if he shows any aggression at all he gets one chance and the food is taken away and you try again the next day.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Gibbon, Aug 20 5:46 am

Behavior & Training > I'm A Wee Bit Protective Over Food

tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 5:43pm PST 
Had the same problem. Prepare his food and put your hand in it. It puts your smell on it. Your not going to like this but put the bowl down and when he begins to eat put your hand in the bowl with a closed fist. If he snarls, shows teeth or aggression correct him with a loud NOPE!!! (I use nope because it's distinctive compared to no) And take the food away. Be prepared emotionally. I had it rough, my dogs went a whole week with out eating. It's hard to watch a hungry dog. But never had a problem again. You said something in your thread about it being his food. Remember he needs to know it is your food! He eats because your the leader and you get it for him. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Gibbon, Aug 20 5:46 am

tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 5:32pm PST 
It works great. But I was taught to actually throw them. It doesn't hurt them but scares them and they recognize it as a correction. Always remember to make a distinction Between a correction and a command no matter how upset you get. I'm sure you've been with people who start out saying ....sit....sit!....sit!!.....SIT!!!!! The command should always be the same low tone. The correction should be loud and get louder and louder yet. Sit....Nope!....Sit.....Nope!!....Sit....NOPE!!!! It's harder than it sounds. We naturally want to yell commands. It takes practice but if you follow it your dog will listen better because he will be able to understand the differences between command and correction
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by tufferthanbatman, Aug 20 7:36 am

Behavior & Training > Quick Question

tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 9:42am PST 
Keep it, you never know you may want another dog and need. Just a thought.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Roxy Marie, Aug 20 9:08 am

Behavior & Training > Why so vicious and so suddenly?
tufferthanba- tman

Barked: Sat Aug 19, '06 9:37am PST 
Even though it looks to us like dogs are playing at the park, most of the time this is not the case. What they're doing is establishing pack structure. Even though it looks like they are having a great time. This is stressful to dogs. A group of dogs at the park look like they are playing but if you were to leave and come back after a certain amount of time they all would be just laying there. This is because they have established structure. This is stressful.
This behavior you are experiencing could be because the structure keeps changing. That's why in training class he snapped at another dog. He is becoming the leader. I would suspend the park for a while and work on becoming the leader.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by tufferthanbatman, Aug 19 9:37 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.