Postings by Gretta

GO!

(Page 1 of 96: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > My dog is changing colour...
Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 6:47am PST 
Almost every dog I know has changed color, either due to age or the seasons or whatever smile. I wouldn't worry about the color change.

For instance, my two black dogs tend to get reddish in the summer, and after I got Gretta and switched her to raw her tan points faded into cream. However, I started her on raw as a puppy so the color fade may have happened anyway, I have no way of knowing for sure smile. My friend has a pomeranian I used to dogsit frequently who started off an intense orange as a puppy but has faded into a creamy color as he's gotten older. He's kibble fed, though.

Oh, and shaded cream dachshunds start off as black little puppies, but as they grow up their color fades into a beautiful creamy color with black fringes. It's so pretty! There are a lot of other examples of dogs whose coats change color as they age as well. I used to work full time as a groomer and watching the coat colors change was one of the more fascinating parts of my job. Sometimes the change was dramatic, sometimes subtle, but always interesting!
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 27 9:55 am

Grooming > How do you bathe your dog?
Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Fri Oct 15, '10 11:19am PST 
I wish we had a self-service dog wash in town. Until that happens, though, I have one of those showerheads that has both the normal one and a 6 foot hose with a handheld sprayer. I can toggle between the two and choose where the water comes out. My dogs go in the tub for scrubbies. I use both a shampoo (or a dog soap bar) and a conditioner for both. Then I scrub down the bathroom and if Gretta (my cocker) is in a longer coat I hand dry her and haircut if necessary. I usually time bathtime for puppies with my weekly bathroom cleaning schedule. The dogs don't get baths every week, but it's so much easier to bathe them right before I clean.

I also wash all the dog beds, blankets, etc. on bath day.
» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by , Mar 21 8:32 pm

Plus Power of the Paw > Beatrix of the Fun Loving Family has gone to the bridge

Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Wed Sep 29, '10 7:01pm PST 
I saw this on facebook yesterday and was heartbroken. Beatrix and the FLF meant so much to us, there are no words that can express our sadness.

hug
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by ♠ Mickey ♠, Oct 6 9:34 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Rehoming dogs with bite history

Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Tue Sep 21, '10 6:36am PST 
Gretta was a puppy with a bite history when I took her in. I was a good choice, though, because I was female, very gentle, and had experience working with troubled dogs like her. I'm glad no one put her down, because she grew up to be the best dog I could hope for and is totally trustworthy around everyone. She was still a puppy when I got her and her old owners hadn't been so educated with training, so I got her turned around relatively easily.

HOWEVER, a dog I know will attack someone? One who's done it more than once and has been returned multiple times because of it? I think that's a different story. In the right hands I think the dog could have a chance, but finding the right hands could be a losing battle. I hope you guys can figure something out that will be the best for these dogs, it sounds like a really difficult situation. hug

ETA: Oops, need to get more coffee in me before posting! I didn't realize this thread was so old LOL! Caffeine, here I come!!
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Sep 25 3:22 pm

Raw Food Diet > My dog won't eat liver...

Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Mon Sep 13, '10 6:06am PST 
I buy a mix from my pet carnivore that has ground liver, heart, and kidney in it because Gretta HATES liver too. I still have to mix it with some other kind of ground meat but she'll eat her share of it this way. I did try the tough love route with it and she just will not eat the liver, whether it be pork, chicken, beef, lamb, bison... No liver. Period. I worry about her having a seizure and she does vomit when she's hungry but still won't touch the stuff. I figure if I have to get the mix, I have to get the mix smile.

Rondo, on the other hand, will eat almost anything. I've never had issues with him and organs, thank goodness!
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Brody, Sep 13 2:22 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Tiller
Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Mon Sep 6, '10 11:16am PST 
Such an interesting (and well written) summary of the breed! However, I think I'll just let my friends keep their mastiffs (and I'll enjoy them when we visit!) and I'll stick with my spaniels smile. Threads like this are great to have out here because they can help us decide what traits in pups would be good fits for us...and which breeds maybe wouldn't be! I know that there are individual variances within the breed, but with SO many dogs out there you've got to narrow it down somehow!
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 6 5:33 pm

Raw Food Diet > not sure what to do with my baby girl...

Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 9:29am PST 
I know I said this last time...and that you're pretty sure it's not environmental, but I still think that Reyna's symptoms sound a lot like Gretta's when her environmental sensitivities kick in. Gretta was spayed early and never went through a heat, but she still gets itchy at various times throughout the year (like right now, as fall sets in) Feeding a good diet helps, but the vet revealed she's sensitive to grass and all the stuff that comes with harvest season. So I watch for the symptoms that this type of thing is starting and start being proactive with wiping down her feet when we come in (scratching can transfer the itchy stuff all over her body), more frequent baths (at one point when we first moved here it was 3 times a week) to remove the offending particles, and vinegar rinses (she got yeasty skin from all the licking and itching, and THAT caused more itching and took a long time to get rid of).

One of my friends has a pomeranian who gets this way when she takes him to Texas. It's SOOO sad, he is unbearably itchy for weeks and weeks, it takes a long time (and a lot of trips to the holistic vet) to stop the cycle his body starts when he's exposed to whatever it is down there. Another friend has a pup who got itchy when they went to visit Boston in the winter; again, it was a sensitivity to something environmental which seemed really strange because it was snowy and cold. Allergens are around all the time and allergies can develop in older dogs and puppies who've never displayed symptoms of it before...and the symptoms may or may not manifest all the time. I personally wouldn't discount environment at all, especially if diet changes aren't really helping alleviate the itchies.
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Reyna, Sep 15 1:34 pm

Dogster Crushes > Moosehead Bar

Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Sat Sep 4, '10 6:46pm PST 
*gasp* I'm so jealous Natcho!

My overprotective brother wouldn't let me get a fake ID. Older brothers...geez...!!!
» There has since been 2613 posts. Last posting by Trinity, Mar 28 7:06 pm

Raw Food Diet > Gretta's Raw Dinner is Famous!

Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Sat Sep 4, '10 6:59am PST 
THanks guys!! I was totally surprised when I saw this while placing my order. The feet are pretty big. Gretta is 33 lbs and that was one of the smaller feet in the bag, believe it or not (!!). Needless to say, they come in bags of 10 for under $4 (and are on sale to boot this month!) so I got a couple of bags smile. My dogs LOVE these things!
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tucker, CGC, TDI, Sep 4 8:30 am

Raw Food Diet > Gretta's Raw Dinner is Famous!
Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Fri Sep 3, '10 7:19pm PST 
Well, sort of. She's the new face of My Pet Carnivore Turkey Feet!! You can see her on their website.
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Tucker, CGC, TDI, Sep 4 8:30 am

(Page 1 of 96: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.