Postings by Rosa

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Grooming > Best smelling grooming products
Rosa

wanted toy thief

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:53am PST 
I'm always on the hunt for a nice smelling dog shampoo and conditioning mist. Problem is stores like Petco just have the same old stuff (much of it stinks), and I've been using Tropiclean baby powder scent for years on my furgirls and would like something new. But I notice that the pet store's grooming department uses different scents (like vanilla cupcake) also made by Tropiclean, although these "special" scents are not available for the public to purchase. I understand that this is their way of enticing more grooming business, but I would like to know if someone can tell me how we "non-professionals" can buy the better products as well? Any good websites?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 22 5:53 am

Papillon (and Phalene) > Papillon trait or not?
Rosa

wanted toy thief

Barked: Sun Nov 2, '08 12:00pm PST 
Rosa has always had this one odd behavior.... she will softly growl or make "gargley" sounds sometimes when you touch her, BUT the split second you stop she resumes wagging her tail and licks you! She's never done this to me, mostly my husband who will tickle her belly....and she waits eagerly by the door for him to come home just to play with her.

I figure it's her way of saying..."look, I don't want to be tickled right now BUT here's a kiss because I still love you....wink

Rosa has always been a very friendly and"chatty" little girl, so I'm not sure what to make of this. She welcomes strangers in our home as if they are longtime friends, she adores playing with children, and has never been aggressive to anyone. So, otherwise, she is a very happy and healthy 2 1/2 year old.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Papillon?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bisou CGC TDI , Nov 12 3:53 pm

Papillon (and Phalene) > Does your papillon do this too?

Rosa

wanted toy thief

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '08 7:10am PST 
My 2 year old Papillon sometimes "coughs" a bit when she runs and jumps too much. That doesn't stop her though, and she keeps going while it resolves itself quickly. Rosa has had her regular vet check-ups and they've never found a heart or lung problem before.

Could it be that like a lot of small breeds, she has a tendency to get a little "gaggy" (for lack of a better word). When she drinks too fast, for example, she gets the same way. She usually does take a drink afterward, so I'm hoping it's nothing more than a dry throat.

I'm interested to see if this is common with other Paps, but I am still going to bring her back to the vet for further examination.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Kimimela "Mila" Jenkins, May 5 10:07 am

Papillon (and Phalene) > Are Papillons Lap Dogs?

Rosa

wanted toy thief

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '08 1:58pm PST 
Rosa is another lap dog for sure. She'll stay perfectly still like a statue as long as you pet and hold her, even with children. She also loves baths and being groomed for this reason, and always cooperates exceptionally well.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Jace, Jul 30 7:10 pm

Behavior & Training > Libby doesn't bark!

Rosa

wanted toy thief

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '07 12:54pm PST 
No barking? Rosa says if things are too quiet by you, she'll be more than happy to drop by your place to break the silence..... big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kojak, Sep 18 3:47 pm

Behavior & Training > [HELP] trouble with potty box
Rosa

wanted toy thief

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 7:49pm PST 
Both of my girls were trained within days....but it took a few months thereafter to "TEACH" them to "TELL" us that they needed to use the box. This step is very important, so after Monster has learned to go in the box, he then needs to learn that he's a big boy now and can't go at free will without persmission.

You can solve this issue in a variety of ways. The method I used was to put up a baby gate, so that they could see the box, but must find a way to get our attention so they can get to it. At first, YOU must be very alert and aware of your dog's signals...(pacing, staring at you, barking at you, running in circles), so that you can then ask him if he needs to "go make in the box", as I say. Then, just as if he went "outside" to do his business, reward him with a treat everytime he gets it right.

Now my girls will come get my attention to open the baby gate when they have to go. When they visit at my sister's house, she puts the box by her side door, and even outside under her awning. As long as they are shown and have an idea of where it is, they "tell" us when they need to use it.

Rosa was one who would put her front paws in and her rear end out when she was younger. I had to laugh at the sight because in her mind, she was in the box. This was solved fairly quickly after a few times of lifting her backside in and telling her to "STAY" when all four feet were in the box. Rosa is also a "traveling pooper"....she didn't like to make her train of poop all in a one spot at first. Again, just by repeating the word "staaaaaay" she quickly learned not to leave the box until she was all finished. I rewarded her everytime with 1/4 piece of Wellness chewy bites.

Hope this helps.

*edited to add- My Pug has learned to lift her back feet so that I can wipe them before leaving the box if her paws get wet....again just by saying "stay", they get the idea fast.

Another tip is to keep some used newspaper they already peed on in the box, cover it with a couple of fresh sheets, so the scent is there and it attracts them to go easier in the beginning.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Monster, Sep 9 10:50 pm

Behavior & Training > 2 dominant females

Rosa

wanted toy thief

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 12:39pm PST 
Rosa is a sweet, loving dog....but she is bossy with other animals. She's so possessive of ALL toys and beds and is constantly acting out her dominance over our female Pug by mounting her among other "not so lady-like behaviors"...confused

They've been together nearly 2 years now, yet I still I must keep a constant eye on them both as this goes on all day long. Lily is a Pug, and to call her "thick headed" is an understatement.... she is a little mule with a curly tail. So both dogs are very stubborn dominant females. I've heard that Pugs tend to be very stubborn. But are Papillons usually this dominant too?!.....eek

This is a daily battle to the point where if I leave the room for one minute all heck breaks loose. They will wrestle, mount, lock teeth, and ram each other all day long if I let them....and I have, just to see if they get it out of their systems if I stayed out of it.

They must realize I don't approve of it by now because they seldom will act out that wildly in front of me...and freeze in their tracks when I walk in the room and catch them in the act. Needless to say, this gets very old when visitors come by, and you can't hear a word they are saying.

When I call them to put their leashes on to go out, when I call them to eat....they more times than not will ignore all commands to "sit" and first must wrestle, jump, and growl at each other, so everything takes more time and more repeating than need be. They know they won't go out until they are sitting with all eyes on me.

I am consistant about correcting bad behavior, rewarding good behavior and we practice "nothing in life is free" on a daily basis. They know they don't get food until they are sitting quietly as well, and they are fed in separate rooms.

Not sure what to do anymore, and it's getting frustrating now....frown
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Eden, Sep 10 8:52 am

Behavior & Training > what do you make of this...

Rosa

wanted toy thief

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '07 12:44pm PST 
Hi Loki~ It's a whiney growl, and she lowers her head and those big ears usually. Sometimes, the cat listens (this cat has never hissed in her life), and she retreats since Rosa is now starting to guard the whole bedroom and as well as my slippers. Other times, the cat will ignore her and lay down right next to Rosa anyway while she's in bed and look at her as if to say "eh, shaaaaadUp".....big laugh

I'm worried because I don't want it to escalate into more, but I also wonder if this is just Rosa being the "gabby guts" that she is.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 7:21 am

Behavior & Training > what do you make of this...

Rosa

wanted toy thief

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '07 11:55am PST 
My Papillon, Rosa, will be 2 next February and she's very friendly and well behaved with everyone, even small children who may touch her toys or food. She's never snapped at humans or any other animal....but she persistently guards ALL beds, food, and all toys from our other dog and cat by softly growling.

An example would be last night, she was in her bed, and then the cat (who is very passive) walked by and Rosa growled. I gave her a stern "no", placed the cat next to her in the bed... and then as usual she wagged her tail and gave me and the cat kisses.

Rosa is a happy little dog who is also very chatty, so sometimes I think this might be just her way of grumbling.

If she was truly being aggressive, wouldn't she snap, show her teeth, or at least growl more when the cat was placed in her bed..instead of wagging her tail and kissing us both?

I'm confused about this and would appreciate any opinions.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 7:21 am

Papillon (and Phalene) > Off -Leash
Rosa

wanted toy thief

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '07 7:33am PST 
That's wonderful! Good boy, Elmo!!! Rosa will obey all her commands INSIDE....but OUTSIDE, it's difficult to get her attention. So we practice "look at me" A LOT.

Did this come naturally to your Papillon, or did you have to put a lot of training into it? My "velcro" Pug is a puller on a leash, but follows me much better outside off leash instinctively because she panics if she loses sight of me, her leader. I don't fear her ever running away....ha. Rosa would run like the wind and not look back off leash, which worries me so we work on this everyday.

I always wondered how to know you can trust them that very first time?
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Andi, May 25 10:11 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.