Postings by Mister Jagger

GO!

(Page 1 of 71: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > What do you recommend?
Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 7:06pm PST 
Well, this is my annoucement: we've decided on an English bred labrador retriever and we already found one! laugh out loud And he's been home for two weeks (tomorrow)! cheer We've named him Lennon and he is from a great breeder. His Dogster page will be ready soon! happy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lennon Young, Oct 28 10:17 am

Mister- Jagger

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 2:44pm PST 
I hope I don't miss anyone:

Isabelle: Thank you for the input on spaniels & brittanys. I don't know these breeds very well, so it's nice to hear from different people about them.

Opheila: I understand where you are coming from regarding health issues with purebreds; however, that is why I will only purchase from a reputable breeder who performs the right health testing (not just "vet checked"). I am looking for a purebred for the predictability in size, coat, temperament, etc, not only for the health reasons. Zeppelin is a "purebred mutt" and is costing us a fortune in vet bills; mutts can be just as un-healthy as purebreds.

Erebus: That's really interesting about the Newfoundland dog having been introduced into the Bernese lines! I can totally see the similarities in temperament. I ADORE Newfies, but the drool and fur is a bit much for me! BOL

Vinny: Oh, yes bostons are fairly common around here. They are on "the list"! dancing

Also, thanks for the different information on the Greater Mountain Swiss Dog; I think I've only ever seen one once. I don't think it's a breed we are going to pursue, but I love learning about breeds.dancing

Right now, we are leaning towards an English bred lab. We know an excellent breeder and I know a few of her dogs already. I really like her lines; she breeds mostly for temperament, but her dogs have good pedigrees and all the health clearances.

snoopy It's exciting that's for sure! Thanks again for all the help pups; we love Dogster!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Lennon Young, Oct 28 10:17 am

Mister- Jagger

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 6:34pm PST 
oops! Sorry Bunny! red face Not sure how that happened, BOL

I've heard of the keeshond but there aren't any breeders anywhere close. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Lennon Young, Oct 28 10:17 am

Mister- Jagger

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 8:48am PST 
Thanks everyone! Oh, and Hi Bunny! wave

- Regarding why I don't adopt again: I prefer a purebred over a rescue this time because I want to know more or less what I'm getting into, size, temperament, coat, health, etc. I don't want to deal with a dog's past issues as we are doing with Jagger and Layla. I love rescuing, but this time I'd rather a purebred.

- It's possible to get a purebred from a reputable breeder for less than $2000 (at least it is around here), depending on the breed.

- I am not necessarily planning on doing herding with this dog; I just need the dog to be fairly safe or at least trainable around sheep & chickens. We are only planning on having 2 or 3 sheep for now.

- I am not a big fan of the look of a cocker spaniel... Just my opinion!

- Brittany: I put it on my "to research list". Thanks Elsa! Same for smooth collie, sheltie & lab

- Cookie: Love the Bernese, but the fur just scares me! BOL! But I will definitely put it on my "to research list"
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Lennon Young, Oct 28 10:17 am

Mister- Jagger

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 6:44pm PST 
Hi everyone!
I have started researching my next dog breed. That in itself is fun! BOL What do you recommend? Here are my criteria:
- I'm looking for a purebred and a puppy. I want to know roughly what to expect and this is why I'm choosing purebred over mixed breed this time. Yes, I understand that every dog is an individual, which is one of the reasons why I want a puppy.
- I'm not too too picky on size, but I would prefer something in the range of 25 lbs to 50 lbs. If the breed fits everything else, I could handle bigger.
- I don't want anything that requires lots of professional grooming.
- I will only buy from a reputable breeder. I live in Eastern Canada, so rare breeds are even more rare here! I am not interested in paying 2000$+ for a dog that will be a pet (besides DH won't allow that!). I don't need a dog from Championship lines.

Traits:
- eager to learn or work, i.e. not stubborn
- preferably fairly easy to train basic behaviours, but I have a reasonable amount of experience in training so it doesn't have to be a genius dog!
- not necessary to have a performance dog
- happy go lucky, friendly with mostly everyone (puppy be thoroughly socialized to help with this)
- not looking for an independant type
- likes to be around me, but I don't want a one-person dog
- no need for a protective dog
- friendly with other dogs and animals; we will have sheep next year
- able to train to be off-leash (i.e. no sighthounds)
- exercice needs; I can accomodate a reasonable amount of exercice needs, 1 hour a day max, but I know I can't handle a border collie or a husky.

I think that's it... thinking

So Dogsters, what do you think?
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Lennon Young, Oct 28 10:17 am

Choosing the Right Dog > French Bulldog
Mister- Jagger

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 3:01pm PST 
Hi there Dogsters. I'm looking for inside information on French bulldogs. What are they like as pets? Are they stubborn? What are common health problems?
Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mister Jagger, Sep 23 3:01 pm

Small Dogs > What Breeds is Yankee?

Mister- Jagger

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 8:48am PST 
what a cutie! And the fact that he can slip through small openings is not a flaw! That's just a dog that needs supervision and training, BOL. Hope you find him a home soon! Good luck! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lily Anne, Sep 22 4:11 pm

Behavior & Training > "Hack" your dog's brain!

Mister- Jagger

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 8:22am PST 
Bahahaha this thread is fantastic!
I wonder if this "sound" is similar to pennies in a can? thinking
In our early years as dog owners, and before I knew anything about canine body language, I tried a penny can on Jagger to stop his barking... well did I ever regret that. It scared the daylights out of him; he stayed shaking under the table for over an hour. shock Bad Mommy!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 17 9:52 pm

Raw Food Diet > People who own Monica Segal's books

Mister- Jagger

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 7:54am PST 
That's a good point about the information on USDA. You would think balancing a dog's natural diet would be easier! BOL laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mister Jagger, Sep 15 7:54 am

Raw Food Diet > People who own Monica Segal's books
Mister- Jagger

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 3:16pm PST 
Selli;
Does this help? It's on the internet so is public information (I think)

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/817?fg=Poultry+Prod ucts&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=25&sort=&qlookup=&offset=25&format=Full &new=
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mister Jagger, Sep 15 7:54 am

(Page 1 of 71: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.