GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Behavior & Training > Dogs and homeowners insurance
Hank the- Handsome- Hound

not just another- pretty face

Barked: Sun Jun 7, '09 12:49am PST 
We were shopping for homeowners insurance last year when our insurer raised our premium over 100%. They decided they didn't want to write policies in coastal cities so they increased their rates to such a ridiculous place that no one in their right mind would stay with them. One company (Bretheren) turned us down because Hank bit my hubby last year (hubby was trying to break up a fight between Hank and a foster pup). They had a great rate, too frown Then we went to another company and they asked what kind of dogs we had but that's it. I suppose they have a 'bad breed' list, too.

It's stupid but they get away with it. Doesn't make it right though.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 7 1:20 pm

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > 60 lb mix needs playmate in Hampton Roads Virginia (VA)

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '08 8:06pm PST 
Do you ever go to the dog park at Greenbrier?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 7:16 pm

Behavior & Training > Has Anyone Had This Happen?

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 8:49am PST 
Before he was neutered, Hank got terminally stupid whenever a female in heat within a mile of us! Like Tucker, he's a scent hound and has a pretty keen sense of smell. I wish I had some magic tips to share with you but I don't. We just had to watch him like a hawk whenever he was outside. At least you don't have a female foster pup in your house like we did shock THAT was not fun! (well, Hank thought it was pretty cool and so did the foster dog - she was behaving like a little floozie!)

I would try to find things to keep him occupied while he's in his crate. I can't stress frozen Kongs enough! Fill one up with some yogurt and freeze it and you should keep him occupied for hours! Peanut butter works, too. I'm sure if you go to the food forums you'll find lots ideas of what to put in them.

Also, if your blinds are the plastic or vinyl kind, you might get some Bittle Apple and spray on them. Most (but not all) dogs hate the taste of Bitter Apple and will leave things alone if they're sprayed with the stuff. You just have to keep spraying it. Sometimes I even give my dogs a squirt in the mouth with it when I catch them doing someting they know they shouldn't. (but only when I catch them doing it)

If he keeps needing to go out to pee, you might want to rule out a bladder/kidney infection. You might want to speak to your vet about this; he may want you to bring in a urine sample to rule out any infection.

Good luck! I can sure sympathize with your situation.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 10 6:01 am

Food & Nutrition > Merrick Wilderness Blend

Barked: Sat Aug 16, '08 7:30pm PST 
We have been thinking about changing food brands and would like some feedback on this one. We have not had any problems with our current food, Nutro Natural Choice Chicken Meal, Rice & Oatmeal formula, but would prefer Charley & Hank eat a premium food. Charley will eat just about anything but Hank needs a 'sensitive tummy' formula which is why I picked the Wilderness Blend (it has oatmeal in it). Any comments on this food? Can anyone give me some other 'sensitive tummy' suggestions?

Hank also has some allergy issues (wheat & corn) that we have to work around. When we switched to Nutro, they cleared up so whatever he is allergic to, those ingredients are not in Nutro.

I know that a lot of you think Nutro is junk and I respect that. But this thread is not meant to bash their products. I'd just like to know what folks think of this Merrick blend.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 25 7:51 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > A Question about Rescues...

Barked: Wed Jul 30, '08 5:27pm PST 
Oh I love it when I get pictures and updates on former fosters! Elvis' mom sends me updates all the time and it's so cool to see him doing so well and enjoying the kind of home he should have had from the beginning. I wish I got updates on all of them but only get them on a few.

We always share them on the rescue's Yahoo group. The other fosters enjoy seeing them because we remember how sad the pups looked when we took them in. Sometimes seeing a smiling doggie is just what we need to keep us motivated to keep doing more!

I encourage anyone who adopts to let the rescue know how things are going from time to time. It's always appreciated.

Our rescue tries to have a 'reunion picnic' each October and we invite everyone who has ever adopted from us. It's cool to see old familiar faces. We have it near a dog park so the pups can get their zoomies out and their families can enjoy some good food and talk about dogs. The dogs seem to love it and I think the families appreciate it, too.
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by , Sep 24 7:19 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > A Question about Rescues...

Barked: Mon Jul 28, '08 9:09pm PST 
I think $300 is kind of high but I don't know what this rescue's circumstances are. The rescue I foster for has an adoption fee of $185 and since we are tax exempt, the adopter can claim it as a charitable deduction. But, we also do a LOT of fundraising on our own so that we can keep our fee down. We also rely heavily on donations and I have to say, with the increase in gas and food prices we've all seen in the past year, our donations are way down.

Now, as far as the application and home check go, there are some things to think about. First, we want to make sure that you've never given up a dog before and if you did, why? Most of the time people don't give legit reasons for doing so but there have been times when there were justifiable circumstances. But we need to find out these things BEFORE we adopt a dog to you. We also want to make sure your dog(s) have been fully vetted. Most of the poor souls we take in have some kind of medical condition that we need to have under control before they can be adopted. In our area the big problem is heartworms and treatment for that runs us $400-$500 and that's with the discount our vet gives us. So, since we have already invested a lot of money, time and resources to get a dog well, we want to make darned sure you're going to help keep him well. We owe the pups that much. Then there is spaying/neutering. That will run us a couple of hundred more, depending on what kind of lab work has already been done on the dog. We utilize a lot of the low cost clinics but they usually won't alter a dog who has had heartworm treatment within the last 6 months. That's a long time to wait to get a dog spayed or neutered.

We also want to make sure that if you do not own your home, your landlord is agreeable to a dog living in the property. You'd be amazed at the number of people who lie about this one! People also lie about whether or not they own homes. That one used to get us but since most courts have the local land records online, we can check there to make sure (since it's public record).

I hate to say this, but a lot people will lie to your face in order to get what they want so we have to do our homework. It creates a lot of work for us but we have to do it. It's just another situation where people who won't play by the rules screw it up for those of us who do.

We do home visits because we want to meet the entire family in order to make sure that everyone in the home is on board with getting a dog. So many times we see one spouse and the kids and then the other spouse doesn't really want the dog and they would end up returning the dog. Our rescue uses only foster homes and they are always full so we don't always have a home for a dog that gets returned. Then we wind up paying boarding fees at a kennel and we really don't have the $$ to do that. Another reason to do a home check is to make sure any special needs are met. For example, I had a foster earlier this year (Elvis) who would climb my wire fence so we knew he could only go to a home with with a 6ft privacy fence. We had to do a home visit to make sure they really did have one and that it was in good repair. We also want to make sure the dog is compatible with the home itself. We usually don't adopt out a young, high energy dog to someone who lives in a small condo with little or no yard. That would be a disservice to the dog.

Then there are the kids. I've seen a lot of kids who will behave when they come see us in the stores or at an event turn into little heathens when they get home. That may not be a good thing for a dog so we need to observe the dog in your home, around your kids. The dog you've picked out may not be a good match for your family but that doesn't mean another dog won't be. But the only way we can find out is to come into your home!

Sometimes, we'll get multiple applications on the same dog and all of them are good. Then what? We need to evaluate each one carefully to find the one that's best for the dog so we need lots of information in order to do that. It's not a popularity contest or a matter of whose application we got first, we want what's best for the dog.

I know most shelters don't ask these kinds of questions and their fees are lower but they don't have the staff or the budgets to screen like we do. They also have a lot more animals coming through their doors and often, their time there is limited so they don't have the luxury of doing as thorough of a check as we do. But I'd bet they'd like to.

I hope this helps you understand why we ask the questions we do and why adoption fees can be so high. If you have other questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.
[notify]
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by , Sep 24 7:19 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Is it so hard to pick up after your dogs? *RANT*

Barked: Sat Jul 26, '08 7:06am PST 
It is very frustrating when you see inconsiderate people who will not pick up after their dogs. I get angry and usually make some smart remark when I encounter someone like that. They usually cop an attitude and walk away naughty I keep a little bag dispenser hooked to the leash - it looks like a fire hydrant - and usually have a couple of the bags the newspaper comes in stashed in my pocket. Most of our walks are in the evening when it's cooler so we've even started carrying a small flashlight so we can SEE where to pick up the poop! We've had some people look at us funny but when they realize what we're doing, they usually say 'thank you'.

I had a teenaged boy ask me why did I pick up Hank's poop once. I told him 'you don't want to step in it, do you?' He looked at me like I had grown another head or something. Are people really THAT stupid?

We have to keep our backyard poop free. Most of the foster pups have some kind of worms when we first get them so we have to be vigilant about cleaning it up otherwise our dogs wind up getting whatever the foster has (especially Hank for some reason). Hubby bought something called 'JAWS' at PetSmart which is really handy for cleaning up the yard; it really saves your back. But I'd look pretty dorky carrying it on a walk so we leave it at home laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 43 posts. Last posting by , Aug 4 12:36 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Pet friendly flooring.

Barked: Sat Jun 7, '08 8:39pm PST 
I have seen some very nice looking stained concrete; looks great!

We replaced our off white/barf stained textured berber (definitely NOT dog friendly but it came with the house, except for the barf stains) with a Pergo laminate last spring. It has held up great - the only place I worried about is near the entertainment center (Charley pees on it all the time) So far it's OK but if we have to replace any of it, that'll be the spot.

No scratches from any of the dogs whether they be ours of one of the numerous fosters we've had. I've put down a few carpet 'runners' to keep them from smacking the wall so much. Charley will purposely hit the breaks when he reaches the runner to make if slide across the floor with him on top of it.

One word of caution: if you go with a laminate, buy more than what you'll need! They usually say to add 10% to allow for damages and incorrect measurements but we got a little more so we have a couple of cases in the event we do have replace a spot. The reason I suggest this is because a month after we installed our floor, Pergo discontinued the color we picked! Same thing could happen with any manufacturer.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 21 6:37 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > A Dog for Obama and Family

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 9:40pm PST 
And yes, former President Clinton's dog, Buddy, was killed when he was hit by a car frown I can't remember the details or even if they were ever made public. It was after he had left office and moved to New York.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Jun 1 1:43 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > A Dog for Obama and Family

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 9:35pm PST 
I think they should get a giant dog, like a Newfy or English Mastiff. One that drools a lot would be best. Ain't nothing better than a drooler.

And of course it should come from a rescue or shelter. Besides, the First Family no matter who gets elected needs to set an example for the rest of the country.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Jun 1 1:43 pm

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.