Postings by Xerxes

GO!

Pharaoh Hounds > Am I a Pharaoh Hound?

Xerxes

I'm supposed to- look skinny!!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 21, '09 6:55am PST 
It's possible, but not probable. (Nose is too wide, black nose, dark eyes, and the ear-set is different.) He's a cutie though!

How tall, measured from the shoulders to the ground, is he?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Xerxes, Apr 21 6:55 am

Pharaoh Hounds > Always Sleeping?
Xerxes

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '08 5:07pm PST 
What you are saying sounds like pure separation anxiety. My boy has it horribly bad. He's destroyed a crate, a cat door to the balcony, weatherstripping on the heavy door, the linoleum, the carpet, and loads of other things as well.

Get a book or two on separation anxiety from dogwise.com and that should help you to understand some things you can do.

I've done all the things I knew to do and had to resort to a no-bark citronella collar (If they don't bark, they don't work themselves up as much) and we've done drugs, holistic meds, and other therapies. The gist of it is that he spends all day in the car at work. During the cold he's got his heavy jacket on and seems to be fine.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Xerxes, Feb 11 5:07 pm

Pharaoh Hounds > Always Sleeping?

Xerxes

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '07 9:15am PST 
Pharaohs, like most sighthounds, have a definite on/off switch. Outside they are ON, with a capital ON! They are 100% ready to hunt and every system in their body is dedicated to hunting. Their ears will pick up tiny sounds, they have a scenthound type of nose and their eyes are as sharp as any in the canine world. But more than that, they have huge lungs and a large heart and super light limbs. They can be up to top speed in 3-6 strides and maintain that sprint for hundreds of yards. It seems to give them joy to run and run and run.

Inside they like to do simple things like chew on a bone (raw bones only-cooked or smoked bones will splinter) and lay down or sleep (under the covers thank you!)
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Xerxes, Feb 11 5:07 pm

Pharaoh Hounds > Agility with ease!

Xerxes

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '07 9:12am PST 
Your Ra isn't food motivated? That's pretty unusual so count yourself lucky there! Or unlucky depending upon what his motivator is big laugh

I've been training since day one for Xerxes to jump over certain things like low laying branches, small fences, picnic benches etc and to do it on command. I'm hoping that by the time he's around 4 or 5 I'll be getting him into competitive agility. He can fly over jumps, as I'm sure you know from your experience with Ra.

The next step after agility is tracking. These dogs have phenomenal sniffers, as I'm sure you've seen in action as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 20 6:29 pm

Pharaoh Hounds > Is it really hard to get a Pharaoh Hound in the US?

Xerxes

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '07 9:07am PST 
If you're in CO, the closest breeders to you would be in either Northern CA, or in TX. The problem at this point is that not many litters are being whelped due to the high numbers in rescue at this point. You really need to go to the PHCA website and contact the rescue chairperson. I think in the year 2007 there were somewhere around 20 PHs in rescue. I know that doesn't seem like a high number to many breeds, but consider that there are maybe 1200-1500 PHs in the US at any given time. 20 is more than 1% and that's alot.

It's true that the PHs aren't, generally speaking, as independent as a Basenji, but alot of the independence factor is specific to the individual. I fostered a PH bitch that wasn't satisfied unless she was in a human lap. My boy, on the other hand, is content to know where I am and keep me in visual contact-for the most part. If given the opportunity between keeping me happy or chasing a deer-the deer will win 100% of the time.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Aneksi - 5/24/13, Sep 20 11:18 am

Pharaoh Hounds > Is it really hard to get a Pharaoh Hound in the US?
Xerxes

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 2:00pm PST 
Where in the US are you located? Before you absolutely set your heart on a PH, you need to meet them in person.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Aneksi - 5/24/13, Sep 20 11:18 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.