Postings by Penny, I Miss You Sooo Much

GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Dog Health > Psychogenic polydipsia and polyuria
Penny, I- Miss You- Sooo Much

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 9:11pm PST 
The vet checked for renal failure, that was the first thing they were concerned about. She has Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (doggie demenia, doggie Alzheimer's) and polydipsia along with innappropriate urination can be seen with that, not the most common. This problem began when we moved from one residence to another. Any change makes her symptoms worse or even cause new ones to present themselves. The anxiety, purposeless activity at night, sleeping more during the day, spacing out, getting lost in the house. She's on meds to help with some of that, and a special food that puts the supplements I used to give her right in it.
I make sure she is clean. For hygiene and dignity's sake. Luckily she has a short coat. I was wondering about cranberry juice or dried cranberries. To help promote bladder health and ward off more UTIs. I'm going to ask my vet about that.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Oct 27 9:29 am

Dog Health > Psychogenic polydipsia and polyuria

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 7:52pm PST 
My elderly dog is about to drive me insane. She was drinking so much and peeing so much, inside and outside. Add to that a bit of canine cognitive dysfunction and I haven't rested through one night in a while. She is not necessarily incontinent, although she has gone in her sleep a few times, she just has to pee ALL the time in large amounts because she is drinking so much water. She goes out at regular times, but sometimes she still has to go and either the person home isn't clueing in on her request or she doesn't know to ask them (we used to live alone together & when I'm not home, I'm not sure she knows to ask others). And sometimes she just forgets and squats right in front of us & pees in the house. So, I got her a diaper garment with pads to wear for the 'accidents'. She has been to the vet & had her urine & labs checked for medical problems and that is when the vet talked about the psychogenic polydipsia and I agree with that.
She has been keeping me up at night, partly due to the urinating issue & partly the CCD, so I began picking up her water at about 9-10pm and have a last potty at midnight. Things got much better...until she developed a UTI and the vet said I need to allow her to have access to water at all times. So I did that and life has been miserable. Her 'didy' came loose & she peed a HUGE amount of urine on the rug.
I don't know if I should risk another UTI & start picking up her water at night again. You see, I have a medical condition in which it is VITAL I get sleep. I can end up in the hospital if I go a few days without decent sleep. Stress isn't helping. When she is up at night it is every hour or two and she pulls at my bedding, pillows, knocks stuff off of tables, basically panics, even after I take her potty, she is stressed & wants me up - but this got better when I picked up the water at night. She is 14 yrs old and I have to start considering what is too much. Is it acceptable for a dog to wear a diaper all the time in this situation? I've always taken her potty outside as usual, removing & replacing the diabper. Sometimes she snaps when you put it back on & are the other people in the home willing to do it when I'm at work. Do I need to come home to let my dog potty so it is every 2hrs all the time?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Oct 27 9:29 am

Senior Dogs > No muscles in back legs?

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 8:48am PST 
I have not tried them but there are also some really neat looking harnesses that go on the back end so you can help support the back end while the dog walks.

My mother's German Shepherd lost a lot of muscle tone in her back end when she got very old. She had arthritis in her hips and didn't put her weight on them so lost muscle tone. Medicine for the arthritis helped for quite a while. My mom's young dog also lost muscle tone because she had surgery on both knees, one after the other, and didn't put her weight on them properly. For physical therapy I had to walk her very slowly which forced her to put weight on each leg and gain muscle & bone strength.

If you take your dog to the vet, you might discover that there is some problem that can be helped. Dogs are good at hiding pain and vets are good at detecting it. If it is arthritis, some meds for pain & swelling coupled with slow walking or water therapy could help a lot.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Vance CGC, Jul 30 9:22 am

Senior Dogs > Selective pottying problem

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 10:22pm PST 
I just had an idea. Penny mainly sleeps the whole time I am away and she is at my mom's. What seems to happen is she wakes up and potties in my mom's house. I think she may be waking up and confused about where she is and what to do. I have a nice crate I haven't been using & can take to my mom's and maybe she could put it in her work room. This way she can keep a better eye on her & Penny won't be able to wake up and wander. There is a possibility it could make her anxious, but I can spray the lavender oil and have her familiar things in it, things that smell like me. I can get some washable bed pads that on hospital beds for in case she goes in there.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Jul 24 5:23 am

Senior Dogs > Some advice and ideas for dogs with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 10:16pm PST 
Penny is having potty problems in the new setting of my mom's house but not in her familiar setting at home. At my mom's we have decided to try taking her out every two hours on a leash, like we do at home, just to replicate it.
She is getting anxious a lot when we are anywhere away from the apartment and her routine. She follows me. But I have found when I spray essential lavender oil on her blanket at bedtime she sleeps through the night. That's been nice.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Penny, I Miss You Sooo Much , Jul 23 10:16 pm

Senior Dogs > Selective pottying problem

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 8:29pm PST 
I have a 14 yr old Min Pin named Penny. She's always had problems with anxiety, reactivity, agitation. I did some training with her, some behavioral modification, for some of the things. The seperation anxiety required meds & a companion. And we were good to go. Until...

My mom moved near where I work. So I leave my 2 dogs with my mom while I am working. I am gone about 5 hrs. Penny never pottied indoors at my apartment. But when I leave her with my mom, making sure she's pottied before I leave & my mom giving her a potty break while I'm gone, Penny has been having poo & pee accidents. We wanted to be sure it was her, so I got her a diaper to wear while I was gone. She goes in it. But never at home.
She has been to the vet recently for signs of canine cognitive dysfunction...especially at my mom's house. Getting lost in corners, increase anxiety, waking me up several times through the night & not needing anything, etc.
So, is it just that my mom's house is not part of her familiar life and so she doesn't behave as though it isn't even indoors? My mom said that at first she would come and get her, which she does for me, by whining and poking my leg, but my mom said she has stopped doing this.
I don't think it is incontence because we go home the same day and everything is back normal. My vet thought the fact that at my place I have to take her on a leash, but at my mom's it is a yard, so maybe Penny doesn't understand she's been out to pee & I should take her on a leash to potty to keep the same routine.
Any help? I'm supposed to move in with my mom in a month.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali, Jul 24 5:23 am

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 8:10am PST 
Thank you. I'll ask my question there.---- Won't let me post a question.

I talked to my vet about meds. She said she hasn't seen any significant results in the dogs that have taken it and there are unpleasant side effects. My dog is already on meds for thyroid and anxiety and I hate to add more to it. But I am going to talk to her about maybe trading the clonicalm for the CCD med to see what happens. She just started a special diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Penny, I Miss You Sooo Much , Jul 23 10:16 pm

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 4:56pm PST 
My MinPin is going on 14 yrs old. She has started showing symptoms - active at night, increase sleep during day; confusion upon waking; wandering into rooms, staring into corners; bathroom changes; crankiness; etc.
What tips does anyone have to make this stage of life easier for her? She has always been extremely bonded to me and sometimes when she is lost, looking but not finding me or being anxious & pacing, it is heartbreaking.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Penny, I Miss You Sooo Much , Jul 23 10:16 pm

Dog Health > Canine Cognitive Dysfunction diet

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '12 11:16am PST 
Took my dog to the vet due to new symptoms of cognitive dysfunction and she mentioned a special dog food that is supposed to help oxygenation to the brain or blood flow, something like that, with anti oxidants and whatnot. She was going to see if they even make it any more.
Any clues on what it is called? I forgot to ask.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Little Bear, Apr 3 5:25 pm

Behavior & Training > Online Obedience / Behavior Course

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 9:50am PST 
For 2 yrs I've been assisting with our shelter's twice yearly dog obedience class and puppy class, I have learned a lot on my own and some from other trainers, I have worked with people and their dogs 1:1, and I work with the shelter dogs that have behavior issues 3-4 days a week and I am SAFER assessed.

I want to become a certified dog trainer. I was wondering if there are any online courses that might help fill in the gaps or are they all scams? There is no where near me that I can take a course in person.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kovu, Feb 20 8:58 pm

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.