Postings by Greta Garbo

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Afghan Hound > 24-7 Attention Needer
Greta Garbo

Patron Saint of- Escape Artists

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 3:31am PST 
Afghan puppies are a challenge. After a year or two they mellow out and adapt to your ways. It is worth it. They are a difficult breed: stubborn, independent, serious, silly, sneaky, thieving, etc., but I would never have any other. Other breeds are dogs, but only Afghans are Afghans.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Greta Garbo, Apr 10 3:31 am

Afghan Hound > afghan hounds not a watch dog
Greta Garbo

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 3:15am PST 
Afghans are good watch dogs. They are sight hounds, so they are always watching. They will BARK, BARK, BARK if they notice something that they do not approve of. They do not just randomly go ballistic, which is nice.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Greta Garbo, Apr 10 3:15 am

Behavior & Training > Annie, Bo and Charley\'s New years resolutions :)

Greta Garbo

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 5:43am PST 
When one of those guys on the fancy bikes wearing silly clothing (the guy not the bike) zooms up behind mom, myself and my niece during a walk, I am startled. I am a devoted Afghan Hound and think it is my duty to lunge, bark violently and generally go completely insane. Mom is all, "You're going to rip my arm off, Greta! He's going away and not a threat." I'm just trying to do my duty, but I know that I must try to relax and lighten up a bit.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Tiffany Joy, Jan 20 2:58 pm

Afghan Hound > HELP!! Can NOT house break Afghan

Greta Garbo

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 5:28am PST 
Maybe he goes when he's excited that you're home and can't control himself . One year is still young for an Afghan. Maybe you might want to keep the leash and a bag with a few cookies by the door, and take him out as soon as you get home. When he goes outside make a big fuss and give him a treat. Don't give up!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Gabrielle 11/94 -9/23/2005, Jun 19 4:29 pm

Greta Garbo

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 5:26am PST 
Maybe he goes when he's excited that you're home and can't control himself . One year is still young for an Afghan. Maybe you might want to keep the leash and a bag with a few cookies by the door, and take him out as soon as you get home. When he goes outside make a big fuss and give him a treat. Don't give up!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Gabrielle 11/94 -9/23/2005, Jun 19 4:29 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > What's your favorite animal movie???!!!
Greta Garbo

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '08 10:53am PST 
My niece Audrey Hepburn and I love to watch movies with mom on the big cozy bed. These are our favorites:

Turner and Hooch (love the happy ending--Audrey ate the video, so we bought the DVD)
The Truth about Cats and Dogs (a dog on rollerskates?! fun plot, too)
Best in Show (utterly hilarious and no one mentioned it)
Underdog (new corny, but cute kids' movie take-off on a beagle as Superman)
Bringing up Baby (Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, a leopard and brontosaurus bones!! Har!!)
March of the Penguins (absolutely amazing documentary)
The Shaggy Dog (Tim Allen becomes the dog. Silly but fun.)
Any Which Way You Can (super funny with Clint Eastwood and an Orangutan)
[notify]
» There has since been 47 posts. Last posting by Doodle, Jul 21 12:20 pm

Afghan Hound > Books on Afghans?

Greta Garbo

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 5:45am PST 
Our favorite is "The New Complete Afghan Hound," (ours is 4th Edition) by Constance O. Miller & Edward M. Gilbert, Jr., Howell Book House, New York, 1965. There's a 1988 edition on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Afghan-Hound/dp/0876050011/ref=sr _1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200404621&sr=1-1
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Greta Garbo, Jan 15 5:45 am

Afghan Hound > I need doggy pics

Greta Garbo

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 5:31am PST 
We sent her this picture!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Monty, Apr 30 6:45 pm

Afghan Hound > afghan hounds not a watch dog

Greta Garbo

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 4:08pm PST 
Afghans are wonderful watchdogs if trained when they are young. I went to college in Philadelphia and lived in the ghetto with my big male, Ralphie. I never worried. My two current lunatics, Greta Garbo and Audrey Hepburn, are excellent ever vigilent watchdogs, barking their brains out and bouncing off the windows like deranged ping-pong balls if someone goes past our home. They are protective on walks, too, giving me a look that asks, "Shall we kill it for you?"
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Greta Garbo, Apr 10 3:15 am

Greta Garbo

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 11:20am PST 
Do not give up. I had a male in college then my Greta Garbo. I taught both to say, "Out!" when they needed to do so. They were perfect in less than a year. Then I got Audrey Hepburn. She ate many pieces of antique furniture and I had to toss out many Persian carpets. It was close to two years before something clicked in her bone head. She's been wonderful ever since, and no one could ask for a more devoted and loving dog. Do not yell after the fact, as they do not have a clue what you are upset about. Besides, punishment doesn't work with Afghans, as they are very sensitive and stubborn. They will flip you the paw. Here's a hint. I filled my pockets with dog cookies on walks. When Audrey went potty outside I gave her a cookie and pats and told her how WONDERFUL she was. A positive approach works with Afghans. Eventually, I could just offer praise and sometimes a cookie. It did help that she's a food motivated Afghan, as many could care less. It helps to figure out some sort of reward that they could die for. Roast beef is a good option when you're starting out. When I think back, I think many pet owners would have strangled Audrey. She shredded many of my belongings, including the back cover of my favorite leather Bible. Audrey took a lot of patience, but it was worth all the aggravation. I suppose it helped that I had four sons and a daughter beforehand! --christinekimball@mac.com and www.christinekimball.com

I would be happy to offer any moral support you may need. Do not give up!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Gabrielle 11/94 -9/23/2005, Jun 19 4:29 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.