Postings by Manny

GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Puppy Place > Leash Troubles!
Manny

So many places,- so little pee...

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 10:56am PST 
Ever heard the expression; "Ya gotta learn how to walk before you learn how to run"?

I allowed my dogs to pull the lead for years... Developed leash reactive dogs out of that, and have now spent about 2 years un-doing the bad habits established.

As mentioned by others, teach the pup it is fun, fun, fun to follow you around the yard. Work the leash into the backyard walk. Now take it all into the front yard with more distractions. Get that right, next short trips just a few houses down.

A loose lead, happy dog is a wonderful thing! Your best chance of getting there involves basic obedience class from a positive methods trainer. The $100 + investment now will pay you back over the next decade of living with your pet.
puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dora, Apr 24 8:05 am

Behavior & Training > Was this dog really 'friendly'?
Manny

Barked: Thu Jan 19, '12 11:49am PST 
At best, a Tarzan-rude-greeter type. He could be that... ('um friendly') But still a danger to an older, or smaller dog, or a reactive dog.

Where was that polite play bow, and butt sniff?

Sort of like when you run into an over bearing salesman at the car dealership; STOP SHAKING MY HAND, AND GIVE ME SOME ROOM!!! And - When meeting new people, I don't generally sweep them into my arms and plant a big kiss on them. They'd arrest me for sure, ha ha!

And for the record I don't play bow or butt sniff either.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Nicky, Jan 20 4:17 pm

Behavior & Training > His behavior is getting worse

Manny

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 4:43pm PST 
It is probably best to seek local help that can see Scruffy and yourself in real life. Sooooo much depends on observing the context of the exact moment. Ask your local rescue groups about good trainers they know.

Scruffy sounds "Reactive". - He gets over stumulated at the sight of strange dogs and perhaps prey animals. He then re-directs his on-lead fustrations towards your dog, and worse onto you. My dogs have done the same, still working on it... Meanwhile:

Stop walking the dogs as a pair. You will need to devote all your attention to Scruffy when he reacts without another dog underfoot anyway.

When he has a reaction, be sure not to throw your own fustrations and emotions into the mix!!! - If I were shouting instructions and fuming at you as you dealt with this stuff, how well would you listen to me?

Long story short. You have a reactive dog, and you care about it. This is not something solved in a day, or on a web site. Ahhh, but the best dog trainers are the one with issues related dogs! After all, how much can the perfect Lassie teach you? Hope you enjoy your learning journey as much as I am, because I'm having a ball!

Dogstar is a great place to book mark, and take a peak into Grisha Stewart and B.A.T. training. Look at some YOU TUBE videos from both sites.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (RIP), Jan 18 7:08 pm

Behavior & Training > Proofing commands at a distance?

Manny

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 8:37pm PST 
We have an emergency Sit. If your dog had run across that road, you certainly wouldn't want hime to do an emergency recall and dash back across.

The previous bark is correct. Start by having him SIT maybe as he is behind the fence. YOU can increase YOUR distance. Once he gets the idea of any distance, you can come inside the yard, and work the distance thing gradually out to where he is across the yard from you.

(Need to proof Sadie on this... My bad.)
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Apr 12 6:44 pm

Plus Contests > Winners of the ActionShot photo contest is...........

Manny

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 11:39am PST 
Grrreat fun.

And hey, I LOVE these things! hamster dance Yummy.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by ~Emma~ RL1, Mar 16 6:12 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Frustrating (long)
Manny

Barked: Sat Sep 12, '09 1:28pm PST 
I volunteer for both a home rescue and a kennel shelter.

Yup, the home rescue would not adopt out to that situation. The kennel shelter would, no problem. You just need to find the right rescue group.

You will have to search a bit for a well adjusted dog that can go anywhere. A bit harder to find, but looking can be fun too!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Moira, Sep 16 6:46 pm

Dogster Railroad > Have a SD.....Can I still transport?

Manny

Barked: Fri Sep 11, '09 10:57pm PST 
I would think if the dogs could be totally seperate from each other, yes. (Like, can you leave your SD in the car during dog swaps?) The 'breed' rescues often transport just one or two dogs at a time.

If the situation is such that the dogs would mix, then likely not. Stressed dogs, nose-to-nose, out on a transport is asking for trouble.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Manny , Sep 11 10:57 pm

Dogster Railroad > Need transport planning help (TN to VA)

Manny

Barked: Wed Jul 8, '09 6:29am PST 
I'd MapQuest it... Maybe try to find a Yahoo Transport group that uses the Interstates you plan to use. Search something like "Interstate 64 Transport".

Keep the individual legs about an hour in length (cause that's two hours of driving when us drivers go back home). Watch out for dead spots that are hard to fill.

The Coordinator should suggest swap points, but open the swaps to what the local drivers want to use.

Maybe you can slip your run onto someone else's. Try not to "Invent the Wheel"... If someone else is doing this run already, get with them!

Good luck! Watching from Richmond...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Manny , Jul 8 6:29 am

Grooming > Bath Urgh! Please Help

Manny

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 7:22pm PST 
Wow, we have no problem at all. Lukewarm water, we connected TWO regular bath shower head hoses together so it reaches the floor of the shower... This is the ONLY time my two get peanut butter. There is a special dog only can, they lick right out of...

They have jumped in the shower together to get at that! But I make them go one-at-a-time, it is easier on me that way.

Of course, I have lab mixes...
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dexy Midnight Goose, May 27 6:31 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Richmond VA Dog Needs Rescue
Manny

Barked: Tue Apr 7, '09 12:29pm PST 
Ring Dog Rescue would be one place to call.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Manny , Apr 7 12:29 pm

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.